Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Mass. grade school bans tag

"Mr" wrote:
    It's the pussification of America (real word), kids are all weak and fat an slow today because they have no competition at a young age. No tag, no dodgeball, no touch football?! WTF is up with that.

When I was in elementary school, we played straight up, sicknasty dodgeball, real playground balls, the ones that leave a logo on your face.

I'm only a senior in high school, so I'm sure some of you old timers have even better than dodge ball.
    I remember playing a game at recess called butt's-up. Basically anywhere from about 3 to 30 kids would toss a raquetball against a wall, and the next person had to catch it and throw it against the wall again. If the ball touched you and then touched the ground (as in you dropped it, or got hit by it on the rebound), you had to run and touch the wall before someone else picked up the ball and hit the wall with it. If you didn't, you got a letter. First person to spell B-U-T-T had to go up to the wall (hence it being called "butt's up"), face the wall, and the other players got to whip the ball at them as hard as they could. Welts were common. Then, you were cleared of all your letters, and play continued.

Can you imagine any school allowing the students to play that game these days? The whole purpose of the game was to eventually cause someone physical harm. It was a blast.

Without reading the entire thread....

I dont blame the schools, I blame the "free ride" mentality of the people in the United States and the Courts that allow this crap to go on.
    IMHO, the courts need to grow some balls and say, enough is enough....

Schools, for better or worse, are responsible for the general safety of our children while at school.... but that doesnt mean that each child should be placed in a plastic bubble to protect themselves from themselves.
    There is nothing inherantly dangerous about playing chase games, such as tag.
    For any parent that sues a school district because their clutsy kid fell down and hurt themselves....shame on you!
    The reality is that those parents are not doing it for the betterment of the schools that their children go to...they are doing it to "cash in" on this litigious society!
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

aceclown is offline Coach

Lenno did a joke on this last night.
    He said he'd hate to be the last kid tagged- he's it forever!

Chuch.

6-KINGS is offline Asst. Coach

When I was a kid we played tag with a hammer.
    None of this sissy run around and "tag you are it" stuff.
    Only to hear "you missed me" "No I didn't" whining.
    Everybody knew when you got tagged because you had a claw hammer stuck in your back, legs, skull or arm.
    It was a real sport that filtered out all the playground wimps.
    Sure you could only play "tag" a few times a year due to the injury recovery time.
    But we who played knew that we were the Kings of the playground and the chicks in their training bras just dug us.
    We lost of few of our friends in battle, but they died like winners!

6-kings

"VICTORY IS MINE!"

[size=12pt]Well, now that the schools are safer in Mass. perhaps they could ban their State Senators from from driving over bridges!
    [/size]
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Vikefanman2000" wrote:
    [size=12pt]Well, now that the schools are safer in Mass. perhaps they could ban their State Senators from from driving over bridges!

[/size]
    Haha, very nice.

Navycoach is offline Starter

Well, it's already trickled out here to the West Coast. I saw on the news this morning that an elementary school in Tacoma, WA banned tag as well. The parents that they interviewed are pretty upset about it as well.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"WVV" wrote:
    A kid isn't a kid until he gets hurt at least once.
    I have never heard of anyone getting hurt playing tag.
    What's next no Phy-ed?
    We used to play tackle football at recess and knock the crap out of each other.
    We even had girly girls join in.
    Kids these days are wusses.
    It's not that they are wusses.
    It's that, after two generations of teaching "self-esteem", we now have a layer of parents who believe that their kids are special when, in fact, they aren't.
    Kid breaks an arm swinging from the monkey bars?
    Then monkey bars are at fault because MY SPECIAL KID would not have been doing something stupid.
    Or, better yet, the SCHOOL DISTRICT is at fault because they didn't protect MY SPECIAL KID from the evil that is monkey bars.

There's a reason that schools no longer have merry-go-rounds.
    Or teeter-totters.
    Or monkey bars and jungle gyms.

And that reason is parents who gotta have someone to blame besides themselves or their kid.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "WVV" wrote:
    A kid isn't a kid until he gets hurt at least once.
    I have never heard of anyone getting hurt playing tag.
    What's next no Phy-ed?
    We used to play tackle football at recess and knock the crap out of each other.
    We even had girly girls join in.
    Kids these days are wusses.
    It's not that they are wusses.
    It's that, after two generations of teaching "self-esteem", we now have a layer of parents who believe that their kids are special when, in fact, they aren't.
    Kid breaks an arm swinging from the monkey bars?
    Then monkey bars are at fault because MY SPECIAL KID would not have been doing something stupid.
    Or, better yet, the SCHOOL DISTRICT is at fault because they didn't protect MY SPECIAL KID from the evil that is monkey bars.

There's a reason that schools no longer have merry-go-rounds.
    Or teeter-totters.
    Or monkey bars and jungle gyms.

And that reason is parents who gotta have someone to blame besides themselves or their kid.

=Z=
    I know this wrong, but let the special kids ride the short bus and let the other kids play normal games.
    If this keeps up then there will be no grade school athletic teams.
    Baketball, t-ball and so one will be to rough.
    Certain baseball leagues for younger kids don't keep score because it hurts there self esteem.
    So when are you suppose to teach them life isn't fair?....30?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123