Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Marrdro's Weekend (Caution - Deer Pictures)

Sometimes the good Lord can do things that will make a man scratch his balding head.
    Let me explain.....

Last Saturday I was getting ready to put my deer stand on my back, grab my blackpowder rifle and make the 3/4 of a mile trek into my favorite tree when my cell phone goes off.

Trust me when I tell you that no one calls me during hunting unless it is an emergency.
    Well it was.
    In a very broken conversation with Wildwoman I found out my father was being rushed from my home town (Northome MN) to Fargo ND for a possible quadruple bypass surgery.
    Needless to say I drove home as I was dressed after quickly packing the rest of my gear and loading up my 4 wheel ATV.

Well after a 3 hour drive and several hours worth of tests I found out that he didn't need any bypass surgery but he does have a bad valve in his heart that will have to be fixed and both his lungs full of blood clots.
    Anyway, long story short, found out late thurs afternoon that Dad was going to be released and that all was gonna be well.

All very good news plus I could get back out Friday for one last crack at a deer still hunting before we started running dogs.

Anyway, back to the good Lord.
    I pull into camp with 2 hours of daylight, change into my hunting cloths, strap on my stand and gun and head into my intended tree.
    Perfect wind, sun sets, starts to get dark and deer come from everywhere.
    Of course I waited to long to pick on out just hoping Mr. Johnson (thats what we call a Big Buck) would show himself.
    Alas, he didn't.
    So now I am in quite a pickle.
    Almost to dark to shoot, no big buck and no meat in the freezer.
    Then he steps in.
    ;D

Framed by one of the most beautifull sunsets you would ever want to see, standing on a ridge about 125 yards away I can see 4 deer standing.
    I pick the biggest one and touch the old smoke pole off.
    As luck would have it, I made a perfect shot, she turned and ran directly at me and died not 50 yards from my stand.

Much celebrating that night.
    (See first Picture).

Saturday morning brings a very brisk 21 degrees (cold for VA) and a large group of hunters (25) for the opening of general firearm season.
    And what a day it was.

Me and my 45 best friends (Hunt club owns 45 Beagles) put on a show for the hunters.
    We ran 4 Rack bucks (8 points or better) and at least 25 other deer harvesting 8.
    Best part of all is I get Mr. Johnson on his feet again and he runs in front of 3 or our hunters all of which put on a shooting display that is best described as pathetic.
    ;D

I moved on through the woods to see what happened and one of our hunters says she can hear the dogs in the big beaver pond not 75 yards behind her.

Anyway, I went into the briars again to get my dogs and see if the deer was hit and what do I see but 8 dogs jumping in and out of the pond and down the middle is the nicest set of horns swimming down the 5 acre pond.
    Anyway, he messed up, stepped up onto the beaver damn and old Chuck (My Charles Daly Shotgun) spoke and the Federal 00 Buck hit him in the engine room.
    (see second picture)

Needless to say, the lord can give us cause for concern and worry but he will also reward with memories that will live forever.
    The doe and the buck will be enjoyed all year.
    Bambi burgers are on the menu for todays Win against the hated Raiders...
    ;D

(Note:
    Rest of the pictures are examples of what one slightly balding, glassess wearing, crooked toothed fat white boy can do with a good pack of dogs and hunters who can shoot what we run out in southeaster VA.)

[img size=100]http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Dogs 015.jpg[/img][img size=100]http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Dogs 018.jpg[/img][img size=100]http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Dogs 019.jpg[/img][img size=100]http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Dogs 020.jpg[/img][img size=100]http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Dogs 021.jpg[/img][img size=100]http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Dogs 023.jpg[/img][img size=100]http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Dogs 010.jpg[/img][img size=100]http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Dogs 004.jpg[/img]
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Marrdro's Weekend (Caution - Deer Pictures)

Nice looking deer Marrdro. I'm sure they're nice size for your area of the country. You should hunt up here in the midwest where the big whitetails roam.

Glad to here the news was better about your dad
    than what you 1st anticipated.

Couple of things;

Aren't you required by law to wear any blaze orange? Up here most of your body is to be covered with it.

Hunting deer with dogs is legal there? Up here it is illegal as hell. In fact if you see a dog chasing deer up here while deer hunting, by law you can shoot it & people often do.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"singersp" wrote:
    Nice looking deer Marrdro. I'm sure they're nice size for your area of the country. You should hunt up here in the midwest where the big whitetails roam.

Glad to here the news was better about your dad
    than what you 1st anticipated.

Couple of things;

Aren't you required by law to wear any blaze orange? Up here most of your body is to be covered with it.

Hunting deer with dogs is legal there? Up here it is illegal as hell. In fact if you see a dog chasing deer up here while deer hunting, by law you can shoot it & people often do.
    Deer size is directly related to the summer/winter conditions.
    MN deer (I grew up whacking them) are bigger cause they need more body mass to survive the winter.
    Our deer (as you go further south) get smaller.
    My doe was 68lbs (about average) the buck was 120 (slightly larger than avg).

We have to wear 100 square inches of blaze orange.
    Bout the size of a ballcap.
    I wear the vest as I am out infront of the hunters and it protects my belly front the briars.

You can't run dogs during Bow and black powder.
    Legal to run them during general firearms season.
    Mostly it is because we have very little hardwoods in VA.
    Most of the property we lease and hunt is pine forest/thicket which a normal man won't/can't just walk into.
    Once the acorns are gone then the deer move into those thickets never to be seen again unless you find someone crazy enough to want to get armored up in heavy clothes and move them out.
    Think of it like man driving only with dogs.

Very exciting to hear a back of beagles running a big buck.
    Thier voice completely changes.
    Makes my hurt pump my friend.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

68 lbs. That's it? Hell, those are fawns up here.
    ;D

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Sounds like a great hunt Marrdro even though it started off poorly. Glad your dad is doing OK!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Cool, hunting and beer!
    ;D

Man, those are small.

Hope your dad is going to be ok.

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Cool, hunting and beer!

;D

Man, those are small.

Hope your dad is going to be ok.
    Yea they are a bit small, however, thier sense of smell, sense of hearing and sense of sight are equal to the biggens back home.

Still a challenge my friends.

On a much different note, back home the bucks/deer lived on cedar most of the winter which gives them a gamey taste, down here they live on briar shoots most of the winter.
    Again, not much of a difference however, they aren't quiet as gamey.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Great to hear your father is well, it must have made for a great trip and your patience has paid off. Deer roast and jerky.... Yumm, Yumm.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    ;D
    glad to hear your Dad is ok, I was gonna say, thats was a doe? The pic looked like a german sheppard. j/k
    :P Ya, running beagles is great, Illegal here in Ny to run deer with them, but you can definetly hear the difference when they get onto something different than rabbits...we were always afraid of losing the dog if they got onto a deer..you hear that different pitched bark, and think "oh f***"

"2beersTommy" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    ;D
    glad to hear your Dad is ok, I was gonna say, thats was a doe? The pic looked like a german sheppard. j/k
    :P Ya, running beagles is great, Illegal here in Ny to run deer with them, but you can definetly hear the difference when they get onto something different than rabbits...we were always afraid of losing the dog if they got onto a deer..you hear that different pitched bark, and think "oh f***"
    One of our young lady hunters (14 years old) got her first deer this weekend.
    Dressed 38 lbs.
    We were all still very proud of her.

Our deer dogs usually stick to deer, however, if they don't get on one they will pick up a rabbit.
    Your right, much different sound.
    ;D

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast