Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Manufactured home living (No longer called 'Mobile Home')

Me, my wife and our 2 boys have completely outgrown our current place of residence. We went to look at a man. home today, At $49.5k it's just about at the top of the scale as far as prices go, and it's really nice. We don't have great credit, so this is a suitable alternative. Really the only requirement we have is a safe, warm home in good shape, and needs to be 3 bedrooms. So:
    1. Do any of you live in a man. home now? If so:
    A. How does it compare to a regular house?
    B. Do you ever get annoyed at the neighbors, being they are most likely closer then the distance between houses?

2. How well does it stay warm in the winter? The older one we were looking at had a wood fireplace.
    3. Does the noise from things like a washer/dryer seem louder then a usual place, esp. if they are in the walkway?

Realistically, i don't expect a lot of constructive responses. I am for the most part just trying to get a general sense of man. home living.
    I live 35 miles from my closest relative, and hardly anyone ever comes to visit. We are looking for a place, that could actually accomodate a few people. Because the rest of my family lives in better and bigger places, we never host a holiday. That is our goal, because we aren't moving closer to everyone else any time soon.

mod edit - please don't post in all caps, either the thread title or the body of the message. Thanks. -Josidn00
    The ribbon is the 'Gulf War Ribbon'.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

-I need a new liver. Please join us for a spaghetti dinner and silent auction benefit.
    -January 13, 2013 1-4.
    -$10 covers spaghetti, salad and bread.
    -Anoka American Legion.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Re: MANUFACTURED HOME LIVING( NO LONGER CALLED 'MOBILE HOME')

My in-laws have a MHome up in northern AZ. It's actually not bad. For the price you cannot beat it. The noise is not bad she has 2 full tubs it's not like back in the day when they were so tin sounding.

Actually where are you going to live I used to have a friend that lived in the Park right after you cross the bridge in Sauk Rapids.

Good Luck.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

The one(s) we are looking at are at 'cloverleaf community' right on 10, by wendy's, mickey d's and subway.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

-I need a new liver. Please join us for a spaghetti dinner and silent auction benefit.
    -January 13, 2013 1-4.
    -Anoka American Legion.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Like anything, you get what you pay for.

My brother bought one new around 2002 and a year or so later he had a plumbing leak. First he had to punch a hole in the bedroom wall next to the bathroom to fix the water pipes for the tub, then he had to go to an RV dealer to get parts, no, not a hardware store...an RV store (which where we live is an hour drive, round trip). While in the wall fixing the pipe he saw that the floors are still made from particle board, which is completely ruined if it gets wet. Then, since the walls weren't normal sheet rock, it was a pain in the ass to patch.

Articnv is offline Coach

Re: Manufactured home living (No longer called 'Mobile Home')

Cloverlaf isnt the best of parks in st cloud area.
    Unless they
    got the palce cleaned up in cleaned out in last year or so.
    By cleane dotu i mean the crakc houses.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Really the only requirement we have is a safe, warm home in good shape, and needs to be 3 bedrooms.
    Can't ask for anything better than that my friend.
    Its whats inside the house that matters.
    A smiling welcome face for friends and a environment that is good to raise your children in.

I have a 3 bedroom brick ranch style house that I paid $69,000 for in 91.
    It is small (11,000 sq ft) but it keeps me dry and I am not ass over teakettle in debt (upside down) in a house I can't afford or so fancy a man doesn't feel comfortable sitting down someplace.

Although it is small, the door is always open for a friend, Wildwoman will always have a snack and I will always put some sort of beverage in your hand and you will feel welcome.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

A few things to watch out for, especially if you have young kids, is that these places use alot of materials like paneling and cabinetry that has high amounts of formaldehyde in the glues that bind the wood together. Over time exposure to this can cause health problems such as allergies etc in your children and in yourself.Some companies have moved to change these practices, they will advertise it heavily if they have.

Other than that, the reason that they are cheaper is that they have cheaper components in them. While they also save some cost by buying in volume and building in a climate controlled building the bulk of the savings will come from using carpet, Vinyl,cabinets, lighting and plumbing fixtures etc. that will wear out much faster than average and require replacement in a shorter time period than average, which will cost you more in the long run.

And unlike a conventional stick built house that will increase in value if maintained and give you equity over time, a typical manufactured home will start to depreciate in value from day 1 and will not generate the equity for you in the long term even if maintained similarly.

That being said, there are companies that are changing their ways of doing things and are actually manufacturing homes that meet or exceed what is being done in site built homes, but the prices are also much closer.

Well, we are going to be in our current place until at least spring. We owe some back bills and that is effecting out credit scores. So, once we pay some on an old car loan for a while, our scores will go up. They are currently better then expected but not good enough. Of course the vehicle we have now was bought for us, although we are paying them back, so there's nothing going on our report that way. Also, we are a one income family, but if i was to get a job right now, anything i make would go straight to daycare anyway.

We looked at the places around the ones that are for sale, and they look fine. It may not be the greatest park, but i don't think it could be any worse then where we are now. Also, we can make improvements if we want, being that we would own, not rent.

While i am sure they vary greatly in construction and material used, what we'd get for the same cost in a house compared to a man. home isn't even close.

As for cost of upgrades, we could actually sustain a little nickel and diming, where as most upgrades or repairs on a
    conventional home would hurt us.

I was wrong, i am getting some constructive ideas and advice, Thank You All.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

-January 13, 2013 1-4.
    -Anoka American Legion.

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

I looked at a mobile home a long time ago and at that time it was extreemly difficult to get financing for them. I mean most lenders wouldnt lend (at least in my area) on anything older then five years. So unless you had 20-40k of cash laying around you were sol.

We just rented a 4 bedroom condo to save up for our downpayment and get some ill advised credit decisions squared away. After a year we built our own house.

I think if you can get into one have at it. If you make even 1$ on it when you move out it beats rent.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES" wrote:
    I was wrong, i am getting some constructive ideas and advice, Thank You All.
    Probably the best thing about this site is that most of us yutz's will quit being yutz's and help when asked.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast