BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Man's wives have no sense of humor

RIYADH (Reuters) - A Saudi man lost a bit of his nose in a joint assault by his two wives after he jokingly threatened to marry a third woman.

Judaie Ibn Salem had thought his threat would help resolve an argument over dividing up his house.

"I swore that I would do it because ... they were impolite and that's when I came under an even bigger attack," Ibn Salem told Shams newspaper after having seven stitches inserted.

"I never realized they would get so worked up. But the only way to restore my dignity is really to take a third wife.

"I don't know what I'm going to lose next if I do that."

Islamic law allows men to take up to four wives and polygamy is not unusual in the conservative kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the birthplace of Islam.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070410/od_nm/saudi_dc;_ylt=Am6ouutLRS7_k7NZIbryFIsuQE4F

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Man's wives have no sense of humor

I could get really worked up if we were to talk polygamy.

It's so truly disrespectful to women. I feel it's so awful.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

"cogitans" wrote:

We better hope that none of the Islamic faithful read your post. It would be seen as offensive and civil rights groups from here to Saturn would be calling for your head and the immediate termination of PPO for allowing people to slander the "religion of peace."

"baumy300" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:

We better hope that none of the Islamic faithful read your post. It would be seen as offensive and civil rights groups from here to Saturn would be calling for your head and the immediate termination of PPO for allowing people to slander the "religion of peace."
    It's not like it's in The Koran. Other than that the idiotic Islamic men can toss my salad.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"cogitans" wrote:
    "baumy300" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:

It's not like it's in The Koran. Other than that the idiotic Islamic men can toss my salad.
    You're right; it is not in the Quran. But it is in the Sunna (the recordings of what the Prophet did in his lifetime, which included having several wives), and the Sunna is the second source behind the Quran for Islamic law.

Regardless, very few Muslims consider polygamy acceptable in this day and age, so I am highly doubtful that anyone would be offended, nor would anyone call it a civil rights issue.

"The" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    "baumy300" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:

You're right; it is not in the Quran. But it is in the Sunna (the recordings of what the Prophet did in his lifetime, which included having several wives), and the Sunna is the second source behind the Quran for Islamic law.

Regardless, very few Muslims consider polygamy acceptable in this day and age, so I am highly doubtful that anyone would be offended, nor would anyone call it a civil rights issue.
    Thank you for clearing that up.

Also, even if it is in some religious text anywhere, I'd still call it wrong and disrespectful.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

I completely agree. And even if it had a practical purpose in the past (a pretty offensive argument IMO that states that the reason for taking multiple wives is to rapidly grow the populaiton of people with your beliefs/religion. Offensive because even though it obviously works, it also takes no consideration for the women who have to share one schmuck with several others), it clearly doesn't have one today.

In all, Saudi Arabia continues to be one of the worst places on the planet for spreading radicalism, intolerance, hate, violence, and archaic religious practices like the one being discussed here.