Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Managers?

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

Managers?

hey i had a question for any managers or actually this could go to anybody that has gone through this before. i made a quick little post in the "woot-i have a job" topic and decided that this is a different so would start a new topic for this.

alright i should get this out in the open to begin with i really don't like my job and currently looking for another job. okay last Friday i was working and i wasn't feeling well so i asked if i could leave early, after several hours of discussing this matter with my assistant manager he let me leave 2 hours early. i take a couple days off and go back to work(yesterday) and my head manager jumps down my throat about how i'm not reliable and that i'm not working that much. i've only called in twice once was because i severly sprained my thumb and i had to take a couple of days off, doctor's opinion. So he says everything is fine, so i finish my shift yesterday, i had today off so i went in to check the schedule and i'm not scheduled to work at all next week. i ask my assistant manager if he knows anything and he says he doesn't and to call my head manager tomorrow and see what is going on. so fellow PP.Oers got any words of advise?

Thanks Josdin

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Managers?

Intensify your job search, because you are either being let go by the manager...or being set up to be let go. If you can, you always want to leave on your terms. At least negotiate some sort of severance package if you can...a friend of mine got two months severance because he refused to transfer to another group. Anything you can get will soften the blow...and reduce the pressure to hurry up and get something else.

I used to be a manager (in my first career) and letting people go is tough on both sided...but sometimes it works out for the best for both sides. If you do get let go, hold your head up and get those interviews. Also, make sure that you apply for unemployment...it is better than nothing...and the money comes out of your old work's hide!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Back in college, I accidentally got left off the schedule. I thought I was up shit creek.

I had to be the 2nd guy to tell you this, but I think if your head MGR got on your case and the assist MGR tells you to talk to the MGR, it doesn't look good for you. Cajun gave you some good advice.

If you like your curent job or even if you don't like it, try to work it out and get a good explaination on the grounds. Most places that I have supervised at have really good records and notes on performance and usually a handbook of what they consider ground for termination are. Don't burn bridges, you never know when you might need a reference.

What line of work is it? How big of a company?

I really wish you the best of luck!

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Back in college, I accidentally got left off the schedule. I thought I was up pooh creek.

I had to be the 2nd guy to tell you this, but I think if your head MGR got on your case and the assist MGR tells you to talk to the MGR, it doesn't look good for you. Cajun gave you some good advice.

If you like your curent job or even if you don't like it, try to work it out and get a good explaination on the grounds. Most places that I have supervised at have really good records and notes on performance and usually a handbook of what they consider ground for termination are. Don't burn bridges, you never know when you might need a reference.

What line of work is it? How big of a company?

I really wish you the best of luck!
    thanks april. i work at Walgreens, so it's a pretty big company, and i have experience with the register and just with stocking/facing. thanks for advise april and cajun, i really appreciate the help. i think if my manager is going to try and let me go, i'm going to first ask him why and if he gives me a valid reason, then i'll just ask him if i can put in some kind of notice so i can still use it as a reference and not lie about what i've been doing the last 5 months.

P.S to anybody who has ever got fired or just quit a job without notice what ended up happened, was it harder to find a job or did you leave that last job off the application?

Thanks Josdin

Walgreen's is a big company and they probably have to follow procedure. For example, maybe they have to talk to you and tell you what you did wrong, give you time off and then schedule you back, just an example.

If they think that you did something really severe, they probably have the right to just let you go but I would ask them for proof if you didn't do what you are accused of.

You can leave it off, but if you worked there for 2 year, then you have to explain why you haven't had a job in 2 years, you know what I mean.

Everybodys' situation is different, you will have to do what is right for yours.

well i worked there part time for about 5 months now. so it wouldn't be too hard to explain what i had been doing for 5 months. i hope they at least let me put in some kind of resignation instead of being fire, so i do not have to lie about anything. what really bothers me is nobody told me a thing about anything, no manager said i was skating on thin ice or that if things contined the way they were i'd be terminated. the only thing i can think of that could have pushed them over the limit is somebody asked me if they could have one of my shifts and i told him he could if he wanted it, so maybe they feel like i don't want to work there anymore, but i don't see how that would be grounds for termination. i just hope everything works out, i'm still young and don't want to have any trouble with a job that really for the most part a horrible place to work. i don't really want to work there anymore, but i don't want to be canned.

Thanks Josdin

"mnvikes61" wrote:
    well i worked there part time for about 5 months now. so it wouldn't be too hard to explain what i had been doing for 5 months. i hope they at least let me put in some kind of resignation instead of being fire, so i do not have to lie about anything. what really bothers me is nobody told me a thing about anything, no manager said i was skating on thin ice or that if things contined the way they were i'd be terminated. the only thing i can think of that could have pushed them over the limit is somebody asked me if they could have one of my shifts and i told him he could if he wanted it, so maybe they feel like i don't want to work there anymore, but i don't see how that would be grounds for termination. i just hope everything works out, i'm still young and don't want to have any trouble with a job that really for the most part a horrible place to work. i don't really want to work there anymore, but i don't want to be canned.
    Speaking from the point of a MGR, that is probably how it looks to them, like you don't want to work. If that is the reasoning, they will schedule you back. But they can't just let you go like that if you didn't have any warning or were not aware of an attendence policy.

I think they think you don't want to work if you are in their eyes "cutting out of work early" and givnig away shifts. It is a big no no just to give someone a shift without running it by a MGR. MGRs take that as a slap in the face to their authority. Let say they didn't like the guy you let take your shift work that time of day on that shift, they didn't let him have that timeslot for a reason, who knows.

If you want to give away a shift, run it by a MGR and make it almost look like they came up with the idea of letting Joe Smoe work your shift.

Also from a MGR point of view, MGRs like people who want to work. They will even push some people into overtime if they can just cause they know a person will alway show up. It causes so many fewer headaches. It is hard to find good workers that want to work. If he thinks he can cover it with someone else, that might be what he is doing. But to leave you off totally, I can't figure that one out?????

well see the guy that asked me, asked me like it was a favor. he has a family and kids and everything, i figured he needed the money worse than me, i asked him if he asked any of the managers if it was ok, he said it was. none of the managers said anything to me about that wasn't okay that i gave him the shift. i'll freely admit that i don't really like the job, i tried quitting my 2nd week there and they asked me to give it more time and i have and it hasn't got any better, i've tried different shifts, only working PT instead of FT, nothing has made the place better to work at. if i'm scheduled to work and if i'm not sick i show up, and my other job that i worked at for 2 years i called in maybe twice, i always showed up even if it was just to be there til they could find a replacement, i realize the bind it puts the managers in when people call in, but shouldn't i have been warned that i needed perfect attendance or i'll be terminated, wouldn't that make more sense?

Thanks Josdin

"mnvikes61" wrote:
    well see the guy that asked me, asked me like it was a favor. he has a family and kids and everything, i figured he needed the money worse than me, i asked him if he asked any of the managers if it was ok, he said it was. none of the managers said anything to me about that wasn't okay that i gave him the shift. i'll freely admit that i don't really like the job, i tried quitting my 2nd week there and they asked me to give it more time and i have and it hasn't got any better, i've tried different shifts, only working PT instead of FT, nothing has made the place better to work at. if i'm scheduled to work and if i'm not sick i show up, and my other job that i worked at for 2 years i called in maybe twice, i always showed up even if it was just to be there til they could find a replacement, i realize the bind it puts the managers in when people call in, but shouldn't i have been warned that i needed perfect attendance or i'll be terminated, wouldn't that make more sense?
    I really think that you are unhappy with your job and if you don't get let go, start looking for a new job anyway. You want to find a job that coincides with something you like to do, like a hobby. Or, it all gets pretty mundane after awhile.

I wasn't trying to make you defensive, sounds like you are frustrated and they shouldn't just take you off the schedule without talking to you first. It is a real chicken shit way to get a point across, like they are hoping you don't ask WHY?

Make sure you go in and get an explaination from that prick of a MGR of yours.

I know it is frustrating but don't let it get you down (even if you don't like the job that much, it still could be a downer not having work) and give us an update on how it turns out.

Good Luck Dude! :smile:

Articnv is offline Coach

Check the attandance polciy at work. Before beign termanited the MNGs need to give u some sorta reason why no reason = wronful termantion.

Just talk to themanger - the places i worked at if u missed 3 days ina row and didnt have a doctors not it was gorunds for firing.

Gettign fired froma job that u been at for 2 years is hard to find a job after that.

The Shift leaders (woudl = liek amanger) did not want to see me get canned they even fought for em to stay. But the company was ina termantite mode puttign eveyr they coudl on warnign so they coudl fire as they ahd to cut back at expenitures.

The wya it sounds u coudl careless if u havbe the job or nto but the ruel u should follow is dont quite a job until you have another

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast