BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Man May Get Jail for Ticket Expletive

BERKLEY, Mich. - The parking fine was $10. But the comment Robert Militzer added to the check could land him in jail for 30 days.

The computer programmer from Allen Park got the ticket May 29. When Militzer wrote the check to Berkley District Court, he scribbled on the memo line, "BULL (expletive) MONEY GRAB."

That got Militzer an in-person court appearance _ on a contempt of court charge. He's scheduled to go before a judge Wednesday, accompanied by an American Civil Liberties Union attorney who will argue Militzer's remark is protected by the First Amendment.

Militzer, 38, was ticketed for parking in front of a friend's house overnight. He said he obeyed signs prohibiting parking between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. during previous visits, but the signs weren't there the morning he was cited.

"I thought they were gaming me, collecting fines without giving people a fair chance to avoid it," Militzer told The Detroit News. "If the sign had been there, I knew what the law was. I would take my lumps and move on."

Militzer said he realized the off-color notation "didn't solve anything." But, he added, "It let them know I felt they were being unfair."

Richard Eshman, Berkley's public safety director, said Militzer could have requested a hearing to argue against the ticket. "There's an avenue for protesting that kind of thing," he said.

ACLU lawyer Elsa Shartsis said Militzer's "choice of words may not be the best, and it may offend some people, but it's not illegal."

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2006/06/28/ap/strange/d8igrrm00.txt

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Man May Get Jail for Ticket Expletive

Lol! Those are one of checks you write w/e you want on it, but you don't mail it.

Thank you Josdin for the sig

thetrenches68OL is offline Asst. Coach

all that over a ticket??? what is the world coming to
    The Trenches are where Games are Decided

Hutch and K. Will baby

sig by PurplePeopleEaters

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I side with Berkley with this one. The remark was immature and stupid, and IMHO falls under the venue of contempt. You couldn't go to a court appearance and swear at the judge without getting a contempt charge. Nor should you be able to add profanity to any type of legal correspondance with the court, including checks. It isn't protected under the First Admendment, so the ACLU can bite me.

What a dumbass. First of all the ticket was only $10, and second, he probably could have gotten out of it had he just requested a hearing. If the Berkley tickets are like every other ticket I have ever seen, then they have instructions for requesting a hearing printed right on them.

"I thought they were gaming me, collecting fines without giving people a fair chance to avoid it" Oh yeah. Those $10 fines really make a significant difference in the city budget. I am sure they are using it as a fund generator. :roll: lol :lol:
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I side with Berkley with this one. The remark was immature and stupid, and IMHO falls under the venue of contempt. You couldn't go to a court appearance and swear at the judge without getting a contempt charge. Nor should you be able to add profanity to any type of legal correspondance with the court, including checks. It isn't protected under the First Admendment, so the ACLU can bite me.

What a dumbass. First of all the ticket was only $10, and second, he probably could have gotten out of it had he just requested a hearing. If the Berkley tickets are like every other ticket I have ever seen, then they have instructions for requesting a hearing printed right on them.

"I thought they were gaming me, collecting fines without giving people a fair chance to avoid it" Oh yeah. Those $10 fines really make a significant difference in the city budget. I am sure they are using it as a fund generator. :roll: lol :lol:
    I disagree...they should have just ignored the notation and processed the check. They are making a mountain out of a molehill...he may have been a little out of line for making the notation...but NOW they are spending my tax money to prosecute this stupid so-called "crime"...at least if he was in court and swore, it would all be part of the process that was going on and no additional tax dollars would be spent.

We got a BS ticket from the local cops for parking one of our cars in front of our house...the cop said that it was a distraction because we live on the inside of a curve...yet no signs exist to tell us not to...and no law was cited in defense of the ticket. This ticket was also given to us despite the fact that people come flying down our street at speeds in excess of 50 MPH despite the fact that the POSTED speed limit is 25 MPH. IF that buttwipe cop would just fire up her radar, she could write tons of tickets all day long AND benefit the whole neighborhood MUCH MORE than doing what she did to us. Besides, if she had just knocked on our door and informed us that although there are no signs posted and it isn't common knowledge that the car being parked there is a potential distraction for drivers, that we should move the car, my wife (who was there at the time) would have gladly moved it for her. Instead, the cop sneakily wrote the citation and sped away...leaving the "hazard" still in place and not remedying the situation by asking my wife to move the car. What was her TRUE motivation...to eliminate the "hazard" or to write the ticket? It makes one wonder!

Also, here in DC where I work, the ticket writers are VERY AGGRESSIVE and will cite you for anything that they possibly can. NO WARNINGS are ever given...they just write the ticket and fill the city's coffers...I don't have the exact figures, but it IS pretty significant.

Oh, by the way, we DID pay the $55 parking ticket...BUT the local police can forget about ever seeing any donations to any of their charities when they come around to ask...they showed no charity to us, so turnabout is fair play. For other officers who have shown us charity in the past, they have our full support...because one good turn deserves another!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE