Prophet Guest

Madden jinxes himself.

John Madden Falls Victim to Madden Jinx by Not Making Any Sense for a 3-Hour Period

The “Madden curse” claimed another victim this week, as football announcer John Madden – whose name appears on the cover of every Madden NFL video game – was apparently struck by a case of senile dementia. The longtime broadcaster and former coach didn’t make even the slightest bit of sense at any point during NBC’s three-hour broadcast of the Patriots-Broncos game on Sunday night.

“A lot of players have fallen prey to the Madden curse in the past – Eddie George, Marshall Faulk, Michael Vick, Donovan McNabb. You kind of hoped John would be immune from it for some reason because he’s not a player and is the face of the game,” said NBC Sports chief Dick Ebersol. “Unfortunately that wasn’t the case. And as bad as the injuries to those players may have been, they’re nothing compared to what has apparently happened to Madden’s brain and mental faculties. He sounds like a blathering idiot up there.”

Al Michaels, Madden’s broadcast partner, says the Hall of Fame coach and broadcaster was not struck by the Madden curse Sunday night.

“I’m not saying he made any sense. Not at all,” said Michaels. “He was absolutely terrible. What I’m saying is that the curse didn’t hit him on Sunday night. If it hit him, it happened a long time ago – like back around 1999 or 2000 or so. At the very least it happened before I started working with him a few years ago because I haven’t understood a thing he’s said since then. I kind of approach our broadcasts as though I’m calling a game solo, but doing so while babysitting my senile grandfather. That helps me keep it in perspective and not lash out at him on the air when he’s just rambling on and on about absolutely nothing.”

Madden said that he was not a victim of the infamous jinx. Or perhaps that he was.

“Curse. Curses. WHAM!” said Madden. “Now if you look here. See that? BOOM! Turducken. Mustard. Eight-legged Shaun Alexander. Back when I was coaching the Raiders. Where’s Pat Summerall? Hit the seam. WHACK! You’re right, Al.”

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Madden jinxes himself.

He has gotten terrible, they way he slurs his speach
    I think he's had a stroke.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

he still is the man in my mind. beats the crap out of the new MNF team
    We're bringing purple back.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

at least when he was calling the game, i could find humour in what he was saying.
    the new mnf crew is just boring.

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

"WVV" wrote:
    Sad, but quite possible.
    A lot of chronologically gifted citizens have multiple "mini-strokes" and no one knows what is going on.
    I think Madden has been biased against the Vikes, but I do admire his coaching ability.
    He's better than the current MNF crew...
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"PacNWVike" wrote:
    "WVV" wrote:
    Sad, but quite possible.
    A lot of chronologically gifted citizens have multiple "mini-strokes" and no one knows what is going on.
    I think Madden has been biased against the Vikes, but I do admire his coaching ability.
    He's better than the current MNF crew...
    The current MNF crew makes me want to sleep.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

I like Tony K on MNF.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Three even more senile Maddens are > the MNF crew. Even if you take out the two (?) sideline reporters and the long interviews while we forget about football, and pretend we are Oprah, or ET ( I am sure the "Joe Theisman talk show would beat out the others, ummm yeah.). ESPN is pathetic, and getting worse. I liked Dennis Miller A LOT more than Kornheiser. Sad as that is.