Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Love during football playoffs?

Love during football playoffs?
    By Alan Goldsher
    Link

I like football. OK, I like football a lot. Not as much as those face-painter guys, but I’m no slouch. Now, most of the girls I’ve dated kinda don’t like football—and right around this time of year, this discrepancy in our interest levels becomes an issue. So I wondered, can I watch pigskin games without alienating a girlfriend? And who better to turn to for advice than Jaci Rae, author of Winning Points with the Woman in Your Life One Touchdown at a Time (www.winningpoints.net). Here, I sought out her advice on how to keep a relationship alive when I’m logging lots of TV time watching the season’s finest hours.

Q: What can a guy do to ensure that he’s able to be an excellent boyfriend without sacrificing his football-watching time?

A: You’ll need game strategies in order to advance to the Super Bowl of love. Here are a couple of tips from my playbook:
    Introduce your partner to the game and the players (history, names, etc.).

Strike a deal with her. For every uninterrupted game you get to watch without guilt, you will do something she enjoys.
    A note for women: Don’t nag him. Let him enjoy the game. Most women enjoy shopping—it’s a sport for you. If you don’t like to be “rushed” with statements like, “Hurry up!” or “Are you done yet?” then don’t do it to him.

Q: How can a guy make his mate happy while watching a game?

A: Don’t exclude her or use the excuse that it’s “football season.” If you have penalty flags flying all over your living room and you want to avoid the coaches’ challenge, you’ll need to learn to compromise.

Here are a few techniques that have proven to be highly effective:
    Strike a compromise with her. For every hour of football that she gives you in uninterrupted time, you agree to give her the equal amount of time doing something fun that she enjoys without asking, “Are you done yet?”
    Arrange a special night out with her friends for her, so you can be left in peace to watch the game.

If your partner is willing to watch the game, but not really interested in it, enticing her to stay involved in your football night is the best maneuver. Rent a movie that introduces her to the team and the members. One of my picks: Football All Stars Intimate Portraits Vol. 3. DVDs such as this can help introduce her to the players and the history of the game, which will have the end result of more interest in football, your passion.

Q: Any tips on how to convert a non-football-loving woman into a pigskin fanatic?

A: If you want her to watch the game with you, don’t get frustrated or put her off when she asks a question. Football widows get tired of taking a back seat to television while their partners play couch commando with the clicker. And frankly, if you are more concerned about that 3rd and 1 on television than the 4th and 23 in your own living room, you’ve got a problem. You might just be another statistic on the playing field of love. Don’t let that happen. Instead, follow some simple rules:

Explain the plays to her. When she asks what a “conversion” or a “Hail Mary” is, try to calmly answer; don’t get annoyed!

As stated above, rent a movie that will give background on the players and the team—or one that will make her laugh. Laughter is a great bonding element. Another good movie for that is Sports Bloopers—Football.

There are some great books on the subject of football (I’m a big fan of The Football Coaching Bible). Have a special “date night.” Start off with a romantic candlelight dinner, followed by sitting by the fire and sharing a football book. If you don’t have a fireplace, you can download a fireplace onto your computer monitor and have it crackling away while you read the book to each other. After you have gone over a chapter, have a Q&A. For every answer one of you gets correct, you two kiss... you get the picture, don’t you?

Q: But once the playoffs start, is it OK for a guy to blow off everyone (not just his girlfriend) somewhat?

A: Many relationships turn as cold as a Chicago Bears home game in December, leaving Football Widows and Armchair Quarterbacks on opposing teams during the Playoffs. If you don’t want to be sitting on the sidelines this season or possibly kicked off the team, don’t blow off your partner. You can watch the playoffs, make your girlfriend happy, go to work and still get everything else done. Ever heard of TiVo?

Alan Goldsher’s book Modest Mouse: A Pretty Good Read will be published by Thomas Dunne Books in August, 2006. Visit his website at www.AlanGoldsher.com, or write him at [email protected] A born and bred Chicagoan, he’s on his knees praying that the Bears learn how to navigate through the post-season.

==============================================

[size=18px]I know the people at PP.O can come up with better answers than these. Here are the questions, let's here some real answers. lol[/size]

Q: What can a guy do to ensure that he’s able to be an excellent boyfriend without sacrificing his football-watching time?

Q: How can a guy make his mate happy while watching a game?

Q: Any tips on how to convert a non-football-loving woman into a pigskin fanatic?

Q: But once the playoffs start, is it OK for a guy to blow off everyone (not just his girlfriend) somewhat?

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Re: Love during football playoffs?

Beer?

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Don't look to me for answers! Hell, I've only been married 46 years.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Find a woman that understands that football is important to you and wants to make you happy. :razz: Whats all this crap about making her happy so you can watch the game? How about her making you happy while you watch the game. :razz: Its all about finding the right woman. :smile:

This whole idea that a guy should feel guilty about watching football and has to make it up to the woman in his life for indulging himself is BS. If a woman thinks that way you just haven't trained her correctly. :lol:

WWBGD

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

Good lord I feel sorry for you guys that date women who don't like football. I like football more than my boyfriend does. Find a woman who loves football. Period.

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

zimtwister is offline Coach

"RK." wrote:
    Find a woman that understands that football is important to you and wants to make you happy. :razz: Whats all this crap about making her happy so you can watch the game? How about her making you happy while you watch the game. :razz: Its all about finding the right woman. :smile:

This whole idea that a guy should feel guilty about watching football and has to make it up to the woman in his life for indulging himself is BS. If a woman thinks that way you just haven't trained her correctly. :lol:
    correct sir! women trully need to be told what to do. if you leave her to make her own decisions, she will be miserable and so will you. love her and treat her right, but always remember YOU are in charge. make me a samwich beeyotch!
    "you dream of beating me, its time you wake up and apologize."

"zimtwister" wrote:
    "RK." wrote:

correct sir! women trully need to be told what to do. if you leave her to make her own decisions, she will be miserable and so will you. love her and treat her right, but always remember YOU are in charge. make me a samwich beeyotch!
    Whoa whoa whoa :shock:

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"DCPologirl" wrote:
    "zimtwister" wrote:
    "RK." wrote:

Allow me to duck before Pologirl goes berserk.

"ltrey33" wrote:
    "DCPologirl" wrote:
    "zimtwister" wrote:
    "RK." wrote:

Allow me to duck before Pologirl goes berserk.
    Smart move lol

Well seeing that I pay all the bills in my house this isn't an issue for me. I never get bugged when watching a game but from early on I told her that the doors swing both ways and if she ever didn't like the sitsuation to please turn the knob and exit :grin: Actually we have a TV in the bedroom and she just goes to the bedroom or pc. My g/f gets the 19" TV in the bedroom while I watch my football from my recliner on the 42" bigscreen :grin: Ah to be king!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast