Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Liveleaks Drops "Anti-Islam" Film After Threats

"Mr" wrote:
    "The" wrote:
    "hx38596" wrote:
    "The" wrote:
    The reason is because in Islam, you are not allowed to depict anyone's likeness. For example, the Ottoman empire used no faces on their currency, the Hache. It's just a rule. Silly? Sure, but so are a lot of rules and dogmas in many different religions. Some people, who take texts literally, are more concerned about these things than others. Being a secularist myself, I find them all pretty ridiculous to get worked up about, especially when things turn violent.

Anyways, the fact is that things like this film are just fodder for the uneducated, much like they are any place. People hear some pundit or zealot get riled up about something and get pissed off without even trying to figure out the issues for themselves, or completely ignoring anyone else's point of view.

This world could use a whole lot more empathy and understanding on all sides.

Edit: I was not referring to any of you as uneducated. I was talking about the Islamic literalists that are up in arms. I just realized that I didn't do a good job of indicating that.
    Tell me which sides needs understanding?

/educated christian
    I'm pretty sure I said all of them. I could post pictures of all kinds of horrible shit that Christians, Hindus, Jews and others say (or have said) and do (or have done), but I won't. Nor do I hardly need mention that the *Holocaust or the**Native American genocide, or the ***displacement of Palestinians, or the ****killing fields of the Khmer Rouge (just to name a few), were committed by people other than Muslims.

All I'm trying to say is that showing respect for others is the only way to avoid constant conflict. The Muslims who are bent out of shape over something as dumb as this aren't showing any knowledge or consideration for Western culture, nor are the people who made this idiotic film showing any knowledge or consideration for Islam.

It is an endless, vicious circle, and the whole thing is stupid.
    * The Holocaust was not based on religion, it was based on ethnicity and evolution.
    ** Has even less of a religion based argument(none), The Native American Genocide was simply about land, period.
    *** Now that one is based on religion, but it's not them saying "we hate everyone who is not us, so let's kick them out" it was the Jews claiming that is our holy land, if you're giving us a country(which we shouldn't have) we want it on our holy territory... which was occupied for thousands of years by until then, peaceful Palestinians, and sparked the conflict in the middle east, and probably started terrorism as we know it today.
    **** Killing Fields of Khmer Rouge, for those of you who don't know was the mass execution of political "enemies"(As well as many other people, by the Communist Khmer Rouge Regime. I bold "communist" because by the definition of communism, there is no religion.

Aside of the Crusades, which is totally irrelevant and occurred 800-1000 years ago, I can't think of attacks on other people solely based of religious beliefs committed by non-muslims.
    Yeah, see the point of that post was to argue that losts of different peoples do horrible shit to one another. I wasn't intending to link any of those things to a religion, only to show that they were not done by Muslims as a response to hx's comment about "which sides needs (sic) understanding." I'm saying all of 'em.

But thank-you for telling me that the Khmer Rouge was a communist outfit and giving a definition of communism. I had no idea.
    :

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Mr" wrote:
    [quote]
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    Aside of the Crusades, which is totally irrelevant and occurred 800-1000 years ago, I can't think of attacks on other people solely based of religious beliefs committed by non-muslims.
    While I agree with most of your quick analysis (lots of depth to cover there), I do want to say that this is completely off-the-mark.
    The Crusades are NOT totally irrelevant - certainly not to many middle-eastern Muslims.

Is the Civil War irrelevant to modern American blacks?

=Z=
    I think there's a bit of a difference between something that occurred 150 years ago, and something that occurred 800-1000 years ago (1095-1272)

"NodakPaul]
    " wrote:

Ok you got me, that was my pre-breakfast post, probably should have thought it through a little more
    ;D

This discussion just gets me heated, I can't help it. I know several marines, and a ton of 9/11 first responders. It just gets under my skin and I say stupid things that I shouldn't.
    I hear ya.
    The strange part of it is that my tolerance actually came from being stationed in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, where I got to interact with some of the Islamic community first hand. I think the terrorists are the worst shit on earth.
    And despite being a Christian, I would like to do some very un-Christian like things to them.
    9/11 still angers me to the point that I see red at times.
    But I strive very hard to seperate my hatred for the terrorist from my views on Muslims.
    Because if I confuse the two, I feel like I have become no better than them.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    While I agree with most of your quick analysis (lots of depth to cover there), I do want to say that this is completely off-the-mark.
    The Crusades are NOT totally irrelevant - certainly not to many middle-eastern Muslims.

Is the Civil War irrelevant to modern American blacks?
    I think there's a bit of a difference between something that occurred 150 years ago, and something that occurred 800-1000 years ago (1095-1272)
    To YOU, Mr. A - and that's the point.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456