Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    NodakPaul is online now Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Little Known Facts About MN

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "Bkfldviking" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I pretty much fit everything in there being a Lutheran Norwegian who loves Lefse, Lutefisk, hotdish and all of the culinary delicacies of the area.

It's those germans you have to watch out for. I was remodeling a house about 12 years ago and the owners mother was over to help butcher a hog and some ducks.

They decided to cook for us that day and when I go to the table it consisted of Blood sausage, pork liver and a bowl of "Duck soup) that actually had the feet and beak in it. That was a baaaaad day. >

I lived in Austin in the late 80's when they were having a big Spam celebration and some Union issues(Not sure if anyone remembers the P-9 union fights with hormel-they are classic) Everyone in town seemed to have either a SPAM shirt or a Cram-Your-Spam shirt. That town is crazy. But Hormel Chili is a staple in the cabinet.
    Yeah, those German's don't waste anything!
    However, they do have some redeeming qualities:

Knoephla
    Kuchen
    Bratwurst
    Sauerbraten

gol'darnit, now my mouth is watering and these Californians don't know diddly about good German cooking :'( :'(
    Hmmmm...dumplings and fruit pie...yum yum
    I love Knoephla soup, my wife makes it all the time in the winter.
    Kaseknepfla is really good too.
    Kinda like little fried cheese ravioli. mmmmmmm
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    Madison, Minnesota is known as "the lutefisk capital of the world"...... Avoid this city at all costs.

I have never understood why someone would eat something that smells so bad and is dipped in lye.
    Not to brag, but myself, Bob Claflin (a chiropractor) and Charles Edwards, a professional photographer in Madison, MN actually started the Lutefisk festival there. And even though I'm not the biggest Lutefisk fan in the world, I have eaten it.
    A bit about "Lutefisk Days..."
    I noticed in the Madison newspaper files from years back that that town ate the most Lutefisk per capita than any other town in the US. So that was the beginning of the festival.
    Our first "Lutefisk Days" had Boone and Erickson from WCCO radio as the emcees. We had a "Ms. Lutefisk" contest and the rules were you had to weigh at least 200 pounds and wear a swimsuit to be eligible. Belive it or not, we had about 6 entries. Ivy Vonderharr, a school teacher won the first Ms. Lutefisk award. We also had a tobacco spitting contest, a parade, and several other events besides the Lutefisk feed. It was an all day event.
    You always come up with something like this that amazes me (seriously).
    Very nice my friend.
    ;D
    Sometimes I surprise myself.
    But I have revealed very little about my life which is full of such surprises such as the time I saved a mental patient from drowning by swimming out in the Red River in Fargo to rescue her. Or the fact that I am a Pulitizer Prize nominee in photography with a picture that was a full page in "Life" magazine.
    ;D And someday I may reveal another thing or two that will really amaze you -- connected with the Vikings.
    [size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]WOW.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

Are you planning on going to a game next year. I now lump you into the column of a "Got to Meet" guy as I have done with Cogs.
    ;D
    The blood is one thing, I can relate to that. But the beaks and legs floating in the soup is where I draw the line at this point in my life. ;D

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    [quote author=BadlandsViking link=topic=40100.msg681387#msg681387 date=1196284608]
    Madison, Minnesota is known as "the lutefisk capital of the world"...... Avoid this city at all costs.

I have never understood why someone would eat something that smells so bad and is dipped in lye.
    Not to brag, but myself, Bob Claflin (a chiropractor) and Charles Edwards, a professional photographer in Madison, MN actually started the Lutefisk festival there. And even though I'm not the biggest Lutefisk fan in the world, I have eaten it.
    I noticed in the Madison newspaper files from years back that that town ate the most Lutefisk per capita than any other town in the US. So that was the beginning of the festival.
    Our first "Lutefisk Days" had Boone and Erickson from WCCO radio as the emcees. We had a "Ms. Lutefisk" contest and the rules were you had to weigh at least 200 pounds and wear a swimsuit to be eligible. Belive it or not, we had about 6 entries. Ivy Vonderharr, a school teacher won the first Ms. Lutefisk award. We also had a tobacco spitting contest, a parade, and several other events besides the Lutefisk feed. It was an all day event.
    Very nice my friend.

;D
    But I have revealed very little about my life which is full of such surprises such as the time I saved a mental patient from drowning by swimming out in the Red River in Fargo to rescue her. Or the fact that I am a Pulitizer Prize nominee in photography with a picture that was a full page in "Life" magazine.
    ;D And someday I may reveal another thing or two that will really amaze you -- connected with the Vikings.
    [size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]WOW.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

Are you planning on going to a game next year. I now lump you into the column of a "Got to Meet" guy as I have done with Cogs.

;D
    The blood is one thing, I can relate to that. But the beaks and legs floating in the soup is where I draw the line at this point in my life. ;D
    [/quote]
    I agree.
    You should have seen Wildwoman the first time she went to the butcher/meat market in spain.
    Chickens with thier heads and feet still on them.

Very funny.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Freya is offline Team Alumni

I lived in Madison, MN for almost 4 years. About 8 miles out of town. Each year during the lutefisk festival I could smell the stench all the way up to my house. YUK. :-X

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Nightgaunt is offline Starter

"Marrdro" wrote:

The Hormel company of Austin, Minnesota produces 6 million cans of Spam a year, even though no one actually eats that crap.

Laugh as you may, but it's actually good stuff. And also my hometown and they also employ me, at 16.50hr with no HS diploma needed(I am a HS graduate)but alot of the employeees ain't. They have GREAT benefits, are union, AND have profit sharing. You find me a employer that has the job security i have there within 150 miles your a better man then me, cause you won't find one...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Bkfldviking" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I pretty much fit everything in there being a Lutheran Norwegian who loves Lefse, Lutefisk, hotdish and all of the culinary delicacies of the area.

It's those germans you have to watch out for. I was remodeling a house about 12 years ago and the owners mother was over to help butcher a hog and some ducks.

They decided to cook for us that day and when I go to the table it consisted of Blood sausage, pork liver and a bowl of "Duck soup) that actually had the feet and beak in it. That was a baaaaad day. >

I lived in Austin in the late 80's when they were having a big Spam celebration and some Union issues(Not sure if anyone remembers the P-9 union fights with hormel-they are classic) Everyone in town seemed to have either a SPAM shirt or a Cram-Your-Spam shirt. That town is crazy. But Hormel Chili is a staple in the cabinet.
    Yeah, those German's don't waste anything!
    However, they do have some redeeming qualities:

Knoephla
    Kuchen
    Bratwurst
    Sauerbraten

gol'darnit, now my mouth is watering and these Californians don't know diddly about good German cooking :'( :'(
    My God man! How could you have forgotten about Streudel (sp.)?

Not the dessert, but rather the main dish.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"Freya" wrote:
    I lived in Madison, MN for almost 4 years. About 8 miles out of town. Each year during the lutefisk festival I could smell the stench all the way up to my house. YUK. :-X
    What years did you live there Freya? I lived there from about 1972 to 1980
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"NodakPaul" wrote:

You laugh, but I like fried spam sandwiches.
    Spam is kind of spendy per pound when you look at it. Back when we were kids, my mom had 7, Spam was less expensive & we ate a lot of it.

Mom would dip the Spam in beaten eggs, then cracker crumbs & fry it. Fried Spam is actually not too bad.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:

Very nice my friend.

;D
    All this & a minister & a movie star to boot?

Is there anything you haven't done?

From what I can tell, you've lead a wonderful, exciting & rewarding life.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Nightgaunt" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

The Hormel company of Austin, Minnesota produces 6 million cans of Spam a year, even though no one actually eats that crap.

Laugh as you may, but it's actually good stuff. And also my hometown and they also employ me, at 16.50hr with no HS diploma needed(I am a HS graduate)but alot of the employeees ain't. They have GREAT benefits, are union, AND have profit sharing. You find me a employer that has the job security i have there within 150 miles your a better man then me, cause you won't find one...
    Very interesting my friend.
    As you know, my father is a butcher (Owns his own slaughter plant/meat market).

With that said, I spent many a hour at a butcher block, band saw and meat grinder, not to mention the time spent cleaning all that crap.

What is your job there?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345