Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Little Known Facts About MN

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    Madison, Minnesota is known as "the lutefisk capital of the world"...... Avoid this city at all costs.

I have never understood why someone would eat something that smells so bad and is dipped in lye.
    Not to brag, but myself, Bob Claflin (a chiropractor) and Charles Edwards, a professional photographer in Madison, MN actually started the Lutefisk festival there. And even though I'm not the biggest Lutefisk fan in the world, I have eaten it.
    A bit about "Lutefisk Days..."
    I noticed in the Madison newspaper files from years back that that town ate the most Lutefisk per capita than any other town in the US. So that was the beginning of the festival.
    Our first "Lutefisk Days" had Boone and Erickson from WCCO radio as the emcees. We had a "Ms. Lutefisk" contest and the rules were you had to weigh at least 200 pounds and wear a swimsuit to be eligible. Belive it or not, we had about 6 entries. Ivy Vonderharr, a school teacher won the first Ms. Lutefisk award. We also had a tobacco spitting contest, a parade, and several other events besides the Lutefisk feed. It was an all day event.
    You always come up with something like this that amazes me (seriously).
    Very nice my friend.
    ;D
    Sometimes I surprise myself.
    But I have revealed very little about my life which is full of such surprises such as the time I saved a mental patient from drowning by swimming out in the Red River in Fargo to rescue her. Or the fact that I am a Pulitizer Prize nominee in photography with a picture that was a full page in "Life" magazine.
    ;D And someday I may reveal another thing or two that will really amaze you -- connected with the Vikings.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    The Hormel company of Austin, Minnesota produces 6 million cans of Spam a year, even though no one actually eats that crap.
    The eat it in Hawaii.
    I couldn't believe how popular it was there!
    and nice it is too.... especially fried .... ;D
    You laugh, but I like fried spam sandwiches.
    I had my first fried spam sandwich about a month ago.
    I liked it also, but have not had another since.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "DeathtoDenny" wrote:
    I've never had, seen or knew anyone who's eaten Lutefisk. I think it's a myth.
    It's not a myth, most of the Lutheran churches im my area have lutefisk and meatball suppers for fund raisers this time of year.
    You never had the opportunity to eat in either of my grandparents homes then did you?

I actually had alot of it when growing up.
    Smell is horrendous when cooking but it isn't half bad.
    I like it wrapped in lefse and some butter on the side for dipping.

I take it you have never had Chitterlins then? Its like Lutefisk for us black folks.
    Can't stand the stiuff myself
    Don't crack me up.
    ;D

I grew up in the home of a Custom Bucther in Northen MN and now live in the South.
    I have had "Chitlens" in many different ways (thats how they pronounce it here in VA) my friend.

By the way, I just whooped up a big batch of venison sausage which I stuffed using natural hog casings......
    Yeah "Chitlins" are custome on Christmas Eve for my Moms family.
    I avoid them like the plaugue.
    ;D
    But down south when I would visit my dads family they get served at almost every major holiday.
    My sister was telling me about the big batch she was making for Thanksgiving.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    Madison, Minnesota is known as "the lutefisk capital of the world"...... Avoid this city at all costs.

I have never understood why someone would eat something that smells so bad and is dipped in lye.
    Not to brag, but myself, Bob Claflin (a chiropractor) and Charles Edwards, a professional photographer in Madison, MN actually started the Lutefisk festival there. And even though I'm not the biggest Lutefisk fan in the world, I have eaten it.
    A bit about "Lutefisk Days..."
    I noticed in the Madison newspaper files from years back that that town ate the most Lutefisk per capita than any other town in the US. So that was the beginning of the festival.
    Our first "Lutefisk Days" had Boone and Erickson from WCCO radio as the emcees. We had a "Ms. Lutefisk" contest and the rules were you had to weigh at least 200 pounds and wear a swimsuit to be eligible. Belive it or not, we had about 6 entries. Ivy Vonderharr, a school teacher won the first Ms. Lutefisk award. We also had a tobacco spitting contest, a parade, and several other events besides the Lutefisk feed. It was an all day event.
    You always come up with something like this that amazes me (seriously).
    Very nice my friend.

;D
    Sometimes I surprise myself.
    But I have revealed very little about my life which is full of such surprises such as the time I saved a mental patient from drowning by swimming out in the Red River in Fargo to rescue her. Or the fact that I am a Pulitizer Prize nominee in photography with a picture that was a full page in "Life" magazine.
    ;D And someday I may reveal another thing or two that will really amaze you -- connected with the Vikings.
    So you are the PPO Forrest Gump? ;D

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Garland" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    [quote author=DeathtoDenny link=topic=40100.msg681420#msg681420 date=1196287382]
    It's not a myth, most of the Lutheran churches im my area have lutefisk and meatball suppers for fund raisers this time of year.
    You never had the opportunity to eat in either of my grandparents homes then did you?

I take it you have never had Chitterlins then? Its like Lutefisk for us black folks.
    Can't stand the stiuff myself
    Don't crack me up.
    ;D

I grew up in the home of a Custom Bucther in Northen MN and now live in the South.
    I have had "Chitlens" in many different ways (thats how they pronounce it here in VA) my friend.

By the way, I just whooped up a big batch of venison sausage which I stuffed using natural hog casings......
    Yeah "Chitlins" are custome on Christmas Eve for my Moms family.
    I avoid them like the plaugue.
    ;D
    But down south when I would visit my dads family they get served at almost every major holiday.
    My sister was telling me about the big batch she was making for Thanksgiving.
    [/quote]
    I will try just about anything (Food Singer) once.
    I can say I have had Chitlens once.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"vikingivan" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    The Hormel company of Austin, Minnesota produces 6 million cans of Spam a year, even though no one actually eats that crap.
    The eat it in Hawaii.
    Austin, TX has a Spamarama event every year. Haven't been there, but it looks pretty interesting:
    http://www.spamarama.com/

Ate my share growing up as a kid.
    When you're snowed in for days and can't get to the store, out comes the powdered milk and spam.

dmw14 is offline Training Camp

I thought Spam was good until I moved down south and had Scrapple :-X

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "DeathtoDenny" wrote:

I can eat lefsa by the ton, but you aren't going to get me to eat the stinky fish.

tgorsegner is offline Coordinator

"vikingivan" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    The eat it in Hawaii.

Fried Spam, One Fried Egg over easy, and some chedder cheese all between 2 sliecs of buttered white bread toast. Heart attack city, but i want one sooo... bad. something to add to the christmas break list.

VikesFan787, Thanks for the awesome sig!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

What about white castle hamburgers? Is that a Minnesota phenomenon?
    We don't have them here in Nebraska.
    Been in the one on Lake street at 2 or 3 a.m. a time or 2.
    That time of the day you sometimes get a show along with your meal!
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast