Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Little Known Facts About MN

"DeathtoDenny" wrote:
    I've never had, seen or knew anyone who's eaten Lutefisk. I think it's a myth.
    It's not a myth, most of the Lutheran churches im my area have lutefisk and meatball suppers for fund raisers this time of year.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "DeathtoDenny" wrote:
    It's not a myth, most of the Lutheran churches im my area have lutefisk and meatball suppers for fund raisers this time of year.
    You never had the opportunity to eat in either of my grandparents homes then did you?

I actually had alot of it when growing up.
    Smell is horrendous when cooking but it isn't half bad.
    I like it wrapped in lefse and some butter on the side for dipping.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "DeathtoDenny" wrote:
    You never had the opportunity to eat in either of my grandparents homes then did you?

Used to have the same every Christmas eve growing up as well.
    Lutefisk and meatballs.
    The lutefisk did smell horrendous when cooking, but the taste wasn't so bad (or good).
    Mostly the butter is what made it palatable.
    My dad would eat it by the pounds, the rest of us just kind of poked at it and went for the meatballs.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    Madison, Minnesota is known as "the lutefisk capital of the world"...... Avoid this city at all costs.

I have never understood why someone would eat something that smells so bad and is dipped in lye.
    Not to brag, but myself, Bob Claflin (a chiropractor) and Charles Edwards, a professional photographer in Madison, MN actually started the Lutefisk festival there. And even though I'm not the biggest Lutefisk fan in the world, I have eaten it.
    A bit about "Lutefisk Days..."
    I noticed in the Madison newspaper files from years back that that town ate the most Lutefisk per capita than any other town in the US. So that was the beginning of the festival.
    Our first "Lutefisk Days" had Boone and Erickson from WCCO radio as the emcees. We had a "Ms. Lutefisk" contest and the rules were you had to weigh at least 200 pounds and wear a swimsuit to be eligible. Belive it or not, we had about 6 entries. Ivy Vonderharr, a school teacher won the first Ms. Lutefisk award. We also had a tobacco spitting contest, a parade, and several other events besides the Lutefisk feed. It was an all day event.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    Madison, Minnesota is known as "the lutefisk capital of the world"...... Avoid this city at all costs.

I have never understood why someone would eat something that smells so bad and is dipped in lye.
    Not to brag, but myself, Bob Claflin (a chiropractor) and Charles Edwards, a professional photographer in Madison, MN actually started the Lutefisk festival there. And even though I'm not the biggest Lutefisk fan in the world, I have eaten it.
    A bit about "Lutefisk Days..."
    I noticed in the Madison newspaper files from years back that that town ate the most Lutefisk per capita than any other town in the US. So that was the beginning of the festival.
    Our first "Lutefisk Days" had Boone and Erickson from WCCO radio as the emcees. We had a "Ms. Lutefisk" contest and the rules were you had to weigh at least 200 pounds and wear a swimsuit to be eligible. Belive it or not, we had about 6 entries. Ivy Vonderharr, a school teacher won the first Ms. Lutefisk award. We also had a tobacco spitting contest, a parade, and several other events besides the Lutefisk feed. It was an all day event.
    You always come up with something like this that amazes me (seriously).
    Very nice my friend.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"BadlandsViking" wrote:

Tastes like Spam!

“What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Pelican Rapids is home to a 16-foot-tall concrete pelican, which subsists on a diet of 4-foot-long concret e fish.

I grew up fishing off the platform that pelican sits on. I don't know anything about any concrete fish. But I have eaten lutefisk. There is no describing it other than to say it is a right of passage for Norskies not unlike a sweat lodge ritual or human sacrifices of old.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "DeathtoDenny" wrote:

I take it you have never had Chitterlins then? Its like Lutefisk for us black folks.
    Can't stand the stiuff myself

"Garland" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "DeathtoDenny" wrote:

I take it you have never had Chitterlins then? Its like Lutefisk for us black folks.
    Can't stand the stiuff myself
    Don't crack me up.
    ;D

I grew up in the home of a Custom Bucther in Northen MN and now live in the South.
    I have had "Chitlens" in many different ways (thats how they pronounce it here in VA) my friend.

By the way, I just whooped up a big batch of venison sausage which I stuffed using natural hog casings......

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    The Hormel company of Austin, Minnesota produces 6 million cans of Spam a year, even though no one actually eats that crap.
    The eat it in Hawaii.
    I couldn't believe how popular it was there!

Was popular here too...

Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast