Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Little Known Facts About MN

Minnesota became the 32nd state on May 11, 1858 and was originally settled by a lost tribe of Norwegians seeking refuge from the soaring heat of Wisconsin's winters.

The state flag of Minnesota consists of a blue back ground upon which sits a design best described as "how a 7-year- old city girl would draw a picture titled 'life on the farm'".

Minnesota gets it's name from the Sioux Indian word "mah-nee-soo-tah",meaning "no, really... They eat fish soaked in lye".

The state song of Minnesota is "someday the Vikings will... Aw, never mind".

The Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota covers 9.5 million square feet and has enough space to hold 185,000 idiot teenagers yapping away on cell phones.

Madison, Minnesota is known as "the lutefisk capital of the world"...... Avoid this city at all costs.

"The Mary Tyler Moore show" was set in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and was Mary's first real acting job since leaving the "Dick Van Dyke show". The show about a single woman's struggle to find happiness in the big city, was originally titled "Life without Dick", but that was changed for some reason.

The state motto of Minnesota is, "Where Even A Man Who Wears A Feather Boa Can Be Governor."

Downtown Minneapolis has an enclosed skyway system covering 52 blocks, allowing people to live, work, eat, and sleep without ever going outside. The only downside to this is that a Norwegian occasionally turns up missing.

Cartoonist Charles m. Shultz was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota and grew up in St. Paul. He was the only artist to accurately depict the perfectly circular heads of Minnesota natives.

The Hormel company of Austin, Minnesota produces 6 million cans of Spam a year, even though no one actually eats that crap.

Water skis were invented in 1922 in Lake city, Minnesota by Ralph Samuelson.
    Sadly, he drowned shortly afterwards, as the motorboat hadn't been invented yet.

St. Paul, Minnesota was originally named " Pig's Eye", after French Canadian whiskey trader Pierre "Pig's Eye" Parrant. Its "twin city", Minneapolis, was known as "pig's colon".

The stapler was invented in Swingline, Minnesota by a chubby, mumbling man named Milton in 1899. The city was mysteriously destroyed by fire later that year.

Pelican Rapids is home to a 16-foot-tall concrete pelican, which subsists on a diet of 4-foot-long concret e fish.

In 1973, Olivia, Minnesota, erected a 25-foot tall fiberglass corn cob to celebrate its rich, agricultural heritage. Then in 1974, it was eaten by a 50-foot statue of Babe the Blue Ox. Yes, Minnesota has a lot of problems with statue cannibalism.

Minnesota license plates are blue & white and contain the phrase "Blizzards On Independence Day - You Get Used To It."

Frank c. Mars, founder of the Mars Candy Co. Was born in Newport, Minnesota. His 3 Musketeers candy bar originally contained three bars in one wrapper, each filled with a different flavor nougat; chocolate, spam, and lutefisk.

The first fully automatic pop-up toaster was invented in Minneapolis, Minnesota in 1926. Minnesota's stringent bread-control laws currently only allow residents to own semi-automatic toasters.

Tonka trucks continue to be manufactured in Minnetonka, Minnesota, despite the thousands of GI Joe dolls killed by them annually in rollover accidents. No airbags, no seat belts. These things are deathtraps, I tell ya!

Author Laura Ingalls Wilder was raised at Walnut Grove, Minnesota and was famous for writing the "Little House" series of books, as well as inventing the "Spam Diet" - which consists of looking at a plate of spam until you lose your appetite.
    Much like the "Lutefisk Diet".

The snowmobile was invented in Roseau, Minnesota so as to allow families a means of attending independence day picnics.

Minnesotans are almost indistinguishable from Wisconsinites. The only way to tell them apart is to ask if they voted for Mondale in '84.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Little Known Facts About MN

The Hormel company of Austin, Minnesota produces 6 million cans of Spam a year, even though no one actually eats that crap.
    The eat it in Hawaii.
    I couldn't believe how popular it was there!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Madison, Minnesota is known as "the lutefisk capital of the world"...... Avoid this city at all costs.

I have never understood why someone would eat something that smells so bad and is dipped in lye.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    The eat it in Hawaii.
    and nice it is too.... especially fried .... ;D
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    The eat it in Hawaii.
    and nice it is too.... especially fried .... ;D
    You laugh, but I like fried spam sandwiches.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Outstanding Marrdo!!!!

Author Laura Ingalls Wilder was raised at Walnut Grove, Minnesota and was famous for writing the "Little House" series of books, as well as inventing the "Spam Diet" - which consists of looking at a plate of spam until you lose your appetite.
    Much like the "Lutefisk Diet".

After a year in Vietnam, subsisting off "C" rats with the powdered eggs, desert dry crackers and 1500 year old chocolate, Spam is really very good. ;D

The "Lutefisk Diet" on the other hand must work very well :P
    I went to Norsfest in Minot, ND and I couldn't even walk through the building where Lutefisk was being prepared :-X

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

I feel so much smarter now that I know all these facts

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
    Please stop encouraging him.

MNgriff is offline Rookie

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    The eat it in Hawaii.
    What's even more amazing is the Samoans that come all the way from Hawaii to go to the spam museum in Austin.
    Skol

I've never had, seen or knew anyone who's eaten Lutefisk. I think it's a myth.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast