Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50
  1. #1
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Little Known Facts About MN



    Minnesota became the 32nd state on May 11, 1858 and was originally settled by a lost tribe of Norwegians seeking refuge from the soaring heat of Wisconsin's winters.

    The state flag of Minnesota consists of a blue back ground upon which sits a design best described as "how a 7-year- old city girl would draw a picture titled 'life on the farm'".

    Minnesota gets it's name from the Sioux Indian word "mah-nee-soo-tah",meaning "no, really... They eat fish soaked in lye".

    The state song of Minnesota is "someday the Vikings will... Aw, never mind".

    The Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota covers 9.5 million square feet and has enough space to hold 185,000 idiot teenagers yapping away on cell phones.

    Madison, Minnesota is known as "the lutefisk capital of the world"...... Avoid this city at all costs.

    "The Mary Tyler Moore show" was set in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and was Mary's first real acting job since leaving the "Dick Van Dyke show". The show about a single woman's struggle to find happiness in the big city, was originally titled "Life without Dick", but that was changed for some reason.

    The state motto of Minnesota is, "Where Even A Man Who Wears A Feather Boa Can Be Governor."

    Downtown Minneapolis has an enclosed skyway system covering 52 blocks, allowing people to live, work, eat, and sleep without ever going outside. The only downside to this is that a Norwegian occasionally turns up missing.

    Cartoonist Charles m. Shultz was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota and grew up in St. Paul. He was the only artist to accurately depict the perfectly circular heads of Minnesota natives.

    The Hormel company of Austin, Minnesota produces 6 million cans of Spam a year, even though no one actually eats that crap.

    Water skis were invented in 1922 in Lake city, Minnesota by Ralph Samuelson.
    Sadly, he drowned shortly afterwards, as the motorboat hadn't been invented yet.

    St. Paul, Minnesota was originally named " Pig's Eye", after French Canadian whiskey trader Pierre "Pig's Eye" Parrant. Its "twin city", Minneapolis, was known as "pig's colon".

    The stapler was invented in Swingline, Minnesota by a chubby, mumbling man named Milton in 1899. The city was mysteriously destroyed by fire later that year.

    Pelican Rapids is home to a 16-foot-tall concrete pelican, which subsists on a diet of 4-foot-long concret e fish.

    In 1973, Olivia, Minnesota, erected a 25-foot tall fiberglass corn cob to celebrate its rich, agricultural heritage. Then in 1974, it was eaten by a 50-foot statue of Babe the Blue Ox. Yes, Minnesota has a lot of problems with statue cannibalism.

    Minnesota license plates are blue & white and contain the phrase "Blizzards On Independence Day - You Get Used To It."

    Frank c. Mars, founder of the Mars Candy Co. Was born in Newport, Minnesota. His 3 Musketeers candy bar originally contained three bars in one wrapper, each filled with a different flavor nougat; chocolate, spam, and lutefisk.

    The first fully automatic pop-up toaster was invented in Minneapolis, Minnesota in 1926. Minnesota's stringent bread-control laws currently only allow residents to own semi-automatic toasters.

    Tonka trucks continue to be manufactured in Minnetonka, Minnesota, despite the thousands of GI Joe dolls killed by them annually in rollover accidents. No airbags, no seat belts. These things are deathtraps, I tell ya!

    Author Laura Ingalls Wilder was raised at Walnut Grove, Minnesota and was famous for writing the "Little House" series of books, as well as inventing the "Spam Diet" - which consists of looking at a plate of spam until you lose your appetite.
    Much like the "Lutefisk Diet".

    The snowmobile was invented in Roseau, Minnesota so as to allow families a means of attending independence day picnics.

    Minnesotans are almost indistinguishable from Wisconsinites. The only way to tell them apart is to ask if they voted for Mondale in '84.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #2
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Little Known Facts About MN

    The Hormel company of Austin, Minnesota produces 6 million cans of Spam a year, even though no one actually eats that crap.
    The eat it in Hawaii.
    I couldn't believe how popular it was there!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #3
    BadlandsVikings's Avatar
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,572

    Re: Little Known Facts About MN

    Madison, Minnesota is known as "the lutefisk capital of the world"...... Avoid this city at all costs.

    I have never understood why someone would eat something that smells so bad and is dipped in lye.

  4. #4
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,784
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Little Known Facts About MN

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    The Hormel company of Austin, Minnesota produces 6 million cans of Spam a year, even though no one actually eats that crap.
    The eat it in Hawaii.
    I couldn't believe how popular it was there!
    and nice it is too.... especially fried .... ;D
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  5. #5
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Little Known Facts About MN

    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    The Hormel company of Austin, Minnesota produces 6 million cans of Spam a year, even though no one actually eats that crap.
    The eat it in Hawaii.
    I couldn't believe how popular it was there!
    and nice it is too.... especially fried .... ;D
    You laugh, but I like fried spam sandwiches.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    1,128

    Re: Little Known Facts About MN

    Outstanding Marrdo!!!!

    Author Laura Ingalls Wilder was raised at Walnut Grove, Minnesota and was famous for writing the "Little House" series of books, as well as inventing the "Spam Diet" - which consists of looking at a plate of spam until you lose your appetite.
    Much like the "Lutefisk Diet".

    After a year in Vietnam, subsisting off "C" rats with the powdered eggs, desert dry crackers and 1500 year old chocolate, Spam is really very good. ;D

    The "Lutefisk Diet" on the other hand must work very well :P
    I went to Norsfest in Minot, ND and I couldn't even walk through the building where Lutefisk was being prepared :-X

  7. #7
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,403

    Re: Little Known Facts About MN

    I feel so much smarter now that I know all these facts

    Thanks to PPE for the sig.

  8. #8
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,281

    Re: Little Known Facts About MN

    : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
    Please stop encouraging him.

  9. #9
    MNgriff's Avatar
    MNgriff is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    148

    Re: Little Known Facts About MN

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    The Hormel company of Austin, Minnesota produces 6 million cans of Spam a year, even though no one actually eats that crap.
    The eat it in Hawaii.
    I couldn't believe how popular it was there!
    What's even more amazing is the Samoans that come all the way from Hawaii to go to the spam museum in Austin.
    Skol

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,134

    Re: Little Known Facts About MN

    I've never had, seen or knew anyone who's eaten Lutefisk. I think it's a myth.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Facts about Cutler*uck
    By Zeus in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 09:54 AM
  2. Fun Football Facts!
    By Zeus in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2008, 08:13 AM
  3. Weird 911 facts
    By tdunc in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-26-2007, 10:06 PM
  4. Facts Facts Facts
    By Webby in forum Hall of Famers Speak
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-10-2006, 01:16 AM
  5. Any FA Facts?
    By Kleinsasser in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-02-2004, 11:29 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •