Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light Beer?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Light Beer?

My favorite beer is cold and lots of it.
    ;D

I don't know how many different kinds of beer I've drank/tasted/sampled over the years but it has been quite a few and from a myriad of different countries.

To date there are only a select few that I won't waste my money on and very few of them are of the light beer persuasion.

My theory is that if you get enough of em in you then the whole taste issue is kindof dumb.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    So I noticed that a lot of people on this site seem to prefer light beer to other kinds, and for the life of me, I can't understand why.
    Can any American members please share their insight into why they prefer light beer to normal strength?
    From what it seems, it is a fairly American phenomenon, as not many people here in Canada drink light beer, and I don't see light beer really marketed much in other countries.
    Well - if by "light" beer, you mean "Light" beer like Bud Light or Miller Lite, then that's simple - people are sheep, marketing and commercials have taught them that "Light" beer is "Less Filling" and "Tastes Great" so the beer drinkers convince themselves that they are still taking care of themselves while pounding beer after beer after beer.

Now - if by "light" beer you mean "lagers" vs. "ambers" or "stouts" or "heavy-ass thick beers", then you get into matters of personal taste.

I used to drink tons of Harp.
    Loved it and drank it almost exclusively for a couple years.
    Then, for reasons unknown to me, it started to taste heavy and not crisp.
    So I went on a Coors Light kick for a couple years.
    Crisper, cleaner - certainly less flavor, but still it was beer.
    After we moved here, I was all about getting my hands on Leinie's, since you couldn't get it in VA where I lived.
    Drank a bunch of that, started drinking the Michelob Golden Light as that's something you can get at the Dome and other sporting events in the TC.

And then I started drinking the Grain Belt Premium for football and Labatt's Blue for hockey.
    And that's where I am now.

My preference is an evolution over time and reflects a general dislike for bitter-tasting beers, thick beers (cannot STAND Guinness) and anything "wheaty".
    Love Pilsners, most lagers, some ales.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    So I noticed that a lot of people on this site seem to prefer light beer to other kinds, and for the life of me, I can't understand why.
    Can any American members please share their insight into why they prefer light beer to normal strength?
    From what it seems, it is a fairly American phenomenon, as not many people here in Canada drink light beer, and I don't see light beer really marketed much in other countries.
    I have often wondered the exact same thing, since I begin watching more US TV commercials promoting this.

I can't believe that would fly over here. But then again, we usually end up copying the US in things like that, with some delay.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12