Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Lesnar signs with the UFC

Sometimes I get drunk, and I think I am UFC material, then I wrestle with my brother and then puke (after a particularly rough session) and then come to my senses It's been a couple years since I wrestled. Couch 'tater syndrome creeps up fast. I tried chasing my 11 year old son the other day and it was like that scene from "SuperBad" The kid was a freak, he was the fastest kid alive. ;D
    Tuco the world.....

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Jereamiah" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    He has ground skills too. Did you watch any of his collegiate wrestling matches? He didn't become a national champion by brute force alone. I think he is more vulnerable to people with a strong boxing background. If you keep him at arms length and can use quickness to land shots you might be able to get him but once there is body to body contact he is going to be damn hard to deal with.
    I wrestled too. Junior high, high school, freestyle adult league. Doesn't mean I know a whole lot about submissions. Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing the guy, he looks pretty tuff. Just thinking out loud that a submission guy is going to the groung, as fast as he can. Conditioning then comes into play. I personally really like Georges St Pierre, although he is not a heavyweight.
    I want to see Lesnar VS Cole Konrad in a few years.

I also wrestled in High School and college(Very small one) but there is a huge difference between that and what it takes to be a national champion.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Jereamiah" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    He has ground skills too. Did you watch any of his collegiate wrestling matches? He didn't become a national champion by brute force alone. I think he is more vulnerable to people with a strong boxing background. If you keep him at arms length and can use quickness to land shots you might be able to get him but once there is body to body contact he is going to be damn hard to deal with.
    I wrestled too. Junior high, high school, freestyle adult league. Doesn't mean I know a whole lot about submissions. Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing the guy, he looks pretty tuff. Just thinking out loud that a submission guy is going to the groung, as fast as he can. Conditioning then comes into play. I personally really like Georges St Pierre, although he is not a heavyweight.
    I want to see Lesnar VS Cole Konrad in a few years.

I also wrestled in High School and college(Very small one) but there is a huge difference between that and what it takes to be a national champion.
    Of course ;D I edited my earlier post even before i read this to admit i am nowhere near this guys league
    Tuco the world.....

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"PAViking" wrote:
    "Jereamiah" wrote:
    I was watchinf Fight Science the other night and Cotour (spelled right?) was being gaged on endurance. If Lesner gets in with a ground guy, a juijitsu guy, a guy that can take a punch, he's done. Muscle weighs alot, I wonder about his conditioning. Fun to watch though. I'd wager he mops up the pretenders and then gets twisted by a ground guy.

Frank mir is a ground guy. He is real good with submissions. He is the guy who broke Tim Sylvia's arm with an arm bar.I must say it was pretty gross to watch. But still entertaining. That said I still think Lesnar will win if he is smart. But if it goes to the ground early I think he may be in trouble.
    The fact that he broke Sylvia's arm means absolutely nothing. A 155 pounder could break a heavyweights arm with an armbar. Not to mention Tim Sylvia is an awful fighter. All he has is reach. He's unathletic, by no means powerful, unpolished, and a masshole. If he weren't 6'8 he'd be laughed at.

and can someone tell me how he got into title contention so damn quickly?

And I think Lesnar is better off going to the ground early than late. If he's at full energy on the mat, he's going to simply overpower Mir. I don't care how good of a jiu-jitsu guy Mir is, Lesnar is way too strong, and way too good of a wrestler to take Lesnar on the mat early.

What I would really like to see is Mir make the mistake of going for a triangle choke or something early and get powerbombed. That would be awesome.

But if Lesnar goes down late, he might get caught with a submission.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Please Please don't take this the wrong way, I just have a question.........what is the fascination with this guy?

Alot of people still pine for him to be a Viking and now this.
    What am I missing?
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Please Please don't take this the wrong way, I just have a question.........what is the fascination with this guy?

What am I missing?

:
    i guess some think people getting there head bashed in is cool

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:

What am I missing?

:
    Very good question!

I'm not a fan of him and I HATE the WWE, yet a couple friends of mine and I are talking about going in together on purchasing the fight tonight. Why? I don't really know. Mostly, for me, it's because he's a local. Part of me is really curious as to how well he'd do in the "real world" where your moves aren't scripted. Plus, I don't even care if he wins or loses!

Like I said, very good question. "What is the fascination with this guy?"

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Alot of guys have been successful in UFC, MMA, K-1, ect that have good amateur wrestling backgrounds. Lesnar was a beats in college, he had a chance to make some good money so he and Shelton Benjamin went to WWE , I know bad example but he got out and had a chance to make a name for himself. Did the Viking thing and went back to pro wrestling. When he went to Japan he started getting involved some with MMA, and then started training for it and got out of pro wrestling all toether. Since then he has been traing big time and working on his skills besides wrestling.
    Only time will tell. But he has the wrestling background and the strength,
    I would be surprised if anyone can match him strength wise and be able to purely wrestle him on the ground. His biggest weakness is inexperience, so he can make a mistake and get caught. I also don't know if he can take a punch, he has taken a few shots but not a good one. Only time will tell.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

What am I missing?

:
    i guess some think people getting there head bashed in is cool
    That is definetly part of it, and the UFC has gained alot of popularity over the past few years.

I think it is just because he is a huge celebrity. He won a National wrestling title with the gophers, which is cool. Then he became the biggest name in the WWE for a little while. The WWE is obviously not a sport, but it did make Brock famous around the world. Then he tried out for the Gophers which made him especially popular with Vikings fans(which includes all of us). I hope he kicks some ass and becomes the top guy in UFC, mainly because he went to the UofM.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Anyone watch the fight.
    I was pretty impressed with how badly he was beating on Mir, until he let his guard down and got caught in a leg submission move.
    Was over too fast as a result...

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast