Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Lesnar signs with the UFC

I think he has a legitimate chance of winning this fight. He's a world class wrestler, 4 time All-American at UofM, 2000 NCAA champion, and 1999NCAA runner up(he also won the Big 10 in both of those years). He was about as good of an amateur wrestler as you could possibly be. If he had won an olympic gold, which I'm sure he could have if he had competed he would probably be the best American heavyweight wrestler of the past 10 years.

He's a fantastic athlete, and huge, powerful man to start with. Combined with his expert wrestling background, and a little mixed martial arts training he could be a dominant heavyweight fighter in the UFC.

To quote Joe Rogan "He's a huge, ripped heavyweight with fists like canned-hams and a big fire hydrant head."

If he wins this fight with Mir, he's for real. He steamrolled some guy named Min Soo Kim in K1 dynamite last June.

Go Brock.

Vikestand is offline Coordinator

Go Lesnar! Knock Mir on his prissy ass.....

By Pack93z

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the other with no loss of enthusiasm"-Sir Winston Churchill

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

cant wait..im cheering for the guy, and by looking at his wrestling credentials (ncaa) hes definitely gonna be the real deal
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

I watched the joke of a fight Lesnar had for his debut in Japan and he absolutely crushed that guy.
    A heavyweight guy who's extremely quick on his feet, with his ground skills I have to believe he can pummell just about anybody he takes down.
    Not to mention with his powerful arms if he could become a good striker he'd easily be looking at title shot by this time next year.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Schutz" wrote:
    I watched the joke of a fight Lesnar had for his debut in Japan and he absolutely crushed that guy.
    A heavyweight guy who's extremely quick on his feet, with his ground skills I have to believe he can pummell just about anybody he takes down.
    Not to mention with his powerful arms if he could become a good striker he'd easily be looking at title shot by this time next year.
    That's what I thought when he tried out for the vikings, unfortunetly it didn't work out so well.
    But yeah he is a beast, the only question is whether he can fight standing up, and when he goes against the heavy weight champions.

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    That's what I thought when he tried out for the vikings, unfortunetly it didn't work out so well.
    But yeah he is a beast, the only question is whether he can fight standing up, and when he goes against the heavy weight champions.
    Well the big difference with the NFL thing was the fact that his world class wrestling skills were of no use to him, all he had was his physical beastness.
    Now that he actually gets to use the skill he's good at I think this will go much better.

I was watchinf Fight Science the other night and Cotour (spelled right?) was being gaged on endurance. If Lesner gets in with a ground guy, a juijitsu guy, a guy that can take a punch, he's done. Muscle weighs alot, I wonder about his conditioning. Fun to watch though. I'd wager he mops up the pretenders and then gets twisted by a ground guy.
    Tuco the world.....

PAViking is offline Rookie

"Jereamiah" wrote:
    I was watchinf Fight Science the other night and Cotour (spelled right?) was being gaged on endurance. If Lesner gets in with a ground guy, a juijitsu guy, a guy that can take a punch, he's done. Muscle weighs alot, I wonder about his conditioning. Fun to watch though. I'd wager he mops up the pretenders and then gets twisted by a ground guy.

Frank mir is a ground guy. He is real good with submissions. He is the guy who broke Tim Sylvia's arm with an arm bar.I must say it was pretty gross to watch. But still entertaining. That said I still think Lesnar will win if he is smart. But if it goes to the ground early I think he may be in trouble.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

He has ground skills too. Did you watch any of his collegiate wrestling matches? He didn't become a national champion by brute force alone. I think he is more vulnerable to people with a strong boxing background. If you keep him at arms length and can use quickness to land shots you might be able to get him but once there is body to body contact he is going to be damn hard to deal with.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    He has ground skills too. Did you watch any of his collegiate wrestling matches? He didn't become a national champion by brute force alone. I think he is more vulnerable to people with a strong boxing background. If you keep him at arms length and can use quickness to land shots you might be able to get him but once there is body to body contact he is going to be damn hard to deal with.
    I wrestled too (nowhere near his league). Junior high, high school, freestyle adult league. Doesn't mean I know a whole lot about submissions. Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing the guy, he looks pretty tuff. Just thinking out loud that a submission guy is going to the groung, as fast as he can. Conditioning then comes into play. I personally really like Georges St Pierre, although he is not a heavyweight.
    Tuco the world.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast