Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast
    ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Lawmakers Introduce Statewide Smoking Ban Bill

There is no smoking in business' in Calgary or Edmonton, and I can't say how nice it is to go to the bar or club and not have you and your clothes reeking of smoke afterwards.

Have smoking areas in restaurants, etc. is like having a peeing area in a pool, eventually it gets to everybody.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    They're already doing something about drunk driving. In the last decade, there has been a huge crackdown, with MUCH stiffer punishments, and an education campaign which has led to drunk driving being taken much more seriously by everyone. While it has obviously not eliminated the problem, much has been done to improve the situation.
    Well if it has not eliminated it, why not ban it & public places to even further eliminating it?

Why not throw an extra $1 or $2 tax on it to even further discourage people, especially teens from drinking it?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

You said you "don't like the fact that they are forcing it down private owners throats." How about the smoke that is literally being forced down innocent people's throats? You can say all you want that it's someone's choice as an adult to enter a smoking bar, but I don't think it should be the responsibility of a innocent person to have to go search out a smoke-free bar just so they can have a drink without getting second-hand smoke.
    Why not? If a bar is smoking or non-smoking people will learn rather quickly which bars to go into or stay out of just like smokers have done with restaurants.

I'm on the verge of quitting here myself. I'm already on the patch & never had a problem with restaurants that chose on their own to go non-smoking. Even in establishments were it is allowed, I generally go outside to smoke because I respect others rights.

The problem is, it won't stop there with people going outside to smoke. They are making you move further & further away from the buildings. My work had a smoking policy where we had to go outside to smoke & was limited to just one area. The area wasn't even covered for protection from rain. I was fine with that. But that wasn't good enough for them. This year you aren't even allowed to have tobbaco products on their property. I have to get in my car & drive to take my cigarette break & they are begining to complain about that as well. I'm entitled to my 15 min break in the morning & afternoon & my lunch break, just like they are.

What skin off their asses is it if I choose to go for a drive & have my cigarette while they sit in the comfort of the smoke-free lunch room & have theirs?

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"singersp" wrote:
    They're already doing something about drunk driving. In the last decade, there has been a huge crackdown, with MUCH stiffer punishments, and an education campaign which has led to drunk driving being taken much more seriously by everyone. While it has obviously not eliminated the problem, much has been done to improve the situation.
    Well if it has not eliminated it, why not ban it & public places to even further eliminating it?

Why not throw an extra $1 or $2 tax on it to even further discourage people, especially teens from drinking it?
    For the first plan about banning it in public places, you have to consider that it is only a minority of the population that have problems with alcohol - too many people simply like to enjoy a glass of wine with dinner or drink at a bar with a DD without affecting others. Whereas with smoking, even responsible use inside a restaurant/bar is going to affect others.

On the other hand, adding a 'sin tax' to alcohol wouldn't be that bad an idea. I'm not really sure how much of the current cost is already tax, but you would have to investigate its effect. I would probably guess that teens would probably still drink underage regardless of adding another tax, but maybe the government could take the extra money to put into education or rehabilitation programs.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"singersp" wrote:
    You said you "don't like the fact that they are forcing it down private owners throats." How about the smoke that is literally being forced down innocent people's throats? You can say all you want that it's someone's choice as an adult to enter a smoking bar, but I don't think it should be the responsibility of a innocent person to have to go search out a smoke-free bar just so they can have a drink without getting second-hand smoke.
    Why not? If a bar is smoking or non-smoking people will learn rather quickly which bars to go into or stay out of just like smokers have done with restaurants.
    Problem is, if you let the restaurants govern themselves, they've shown that there will be very few 'smoke-free' establishments, because nobody wants to turn away customers.

"singersp" wrote:
    The problem is, it won't stop there with people going outside to smoke.
    Then we should ensure that smoker's do have designated areas to smoke. Nobody wants to ostracize smokers from society, it's just that other people's health shouldn't be affected by smokers. You being forced to drive away to have a smoke on your break is wrong - but that doesn't make it right to allow smoking in public buildings.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

"singersp" wrote:
    Problem is, if you let the restaurants govern themselves, they've shown that there will be very few 'smoke-free' establishments, because nobody wants to turn away customers.

"singersp" wrote:
    The problem is, it won't stop there with people going outside to smoke.
    Then we should ensure that smoker's do have designated areas to smoke. Nobody wants to ostracize smokers from society, it's just that other people's health shouldn't be affected by smokers. You being forced to drive away to have a smoke on your break is wrong - but that doesn't make it right to allow smoking in public buildings.
    I don't see a problem with establishments being self governing. Hell, they are doing it now on a voluntary basis where I live & in some cases, especially the restaurants, They might be doing better.

For non-smoking establishments & workplaces, give them a place to smoke away from the non-smokers & I think they can live with that. But ostracizing smokers from society is the way that I see this heading. They'll just keep pushing & pushing.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

They have it here in NJ, everyone bitched about it for like 2 weeks, then realized it wasn't all that bad. Plus, a lot of bar owners really don't enforce it.

I have no problem ostracizing smokers, maybe then they'll quit.
    Smoking puts a burden on soceity by overcrowding hospitals and poisoning anyone exposed to it.
    There is tons of things that would be better in this world if cigarettes were never sold again.

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

WA passed a smoking ban inside all businesses, including bars.
    I had mixed feelings about the referendum, primarily from the bar owners point of view.
    I don't smoke, and I don't like smoky bars.
    But there are bars in town that were already non-smoking establishments and that is where I went.
    The bars who do allow smoking are for smokers.
    I voted against the referendum as I believe if you don't want to be around smoke, don't go to the establishments that allow it.
    But now none of them can.
    The bar owners should be able to determine what the environment will be.
    I guess it's the libertarian streak in me...
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

"PacNWVike" wrote:
    WA passed a smoking ban inside all businesses, including bars.
    I had mixed feelings about the referendum, primarily from the bar owners point of view.
    I don't smoke, and I don't like smoky bars.
    But there are bars in town that were already non-smoking establishments and that is where I went.
    The bars who do allow smoking are for smokers.
    I voted against the referendum as I believe if you don't want to be around smoke, don't go to the establishments that allow it.
    But now none of them can.
    The bar owners should be able to determine what the environment will be.
    I guess it's the libertarian streak in me...
    What about the health and safety of the employees who have to work there?

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast