Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Lawmakers Introduce Statewide Smoking Ban Bill

I am all for having no smoking in a restaurants, but in a bar the people that own the business should have the right to decide if they want smoking in their bar.

It is not illegal to make a bar smoke free so why can't the owner make that decision and if he wants to have a smoke free environment that should be up to the owners.

You as a smoker has the right to visit that establishment based on your preference and the workers are adults they can decide if they want to work their or not.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"whackthepack" wrote:
    I am all for having no smoking in a restaurants, but in a bar the people that own the business should have the right to decide if they want smoking in their bar.

It is not illegal to make a bar smoke free so why can't the owner make that decision and if he wants to have a smoke free environment that should be up to the owners.

You as a smoker has the right to visit that establishment based on your preference and the workers are adults they can decide if they want to work their or not.

I think the argument about a healthy working environment is far enough to make it illigal to smoke in bars. Even if you say people are adults, I don't see why it should be on the individual worker to fight against the branch he is working in.

You don't say that a construction worker can just choose not to work for a certain contracter if he doesn't provide the safty requirements of a construction site either.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

state of florida already has this ban in place, it does allow for bars that sell a certain percentage of food compared to alcohol to be able to allow smoking, i must say, it is much more enjoyable going out to diner since this law was passed. even the "non-smoking" sections before the ban would smell like smoke.

problem i have now is the tenant in the apartment below me smokes, and when the weather is nice, i like to open up some windows, but i have to constantly be on alert to close them once he starts smoking outside, or my living room will reek of it. thankfully hes not a chain-smoker.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"whackthepack" wrote:

Well, I am all for making cigarettes illegal, period, so I guess a compromise of not doing it around me or my family (wherever that might be) is fair.

My wife works in a smoking enviroment. And, although she has never even tried a cigarette, I worry for her health.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    [size=10pt]Lawmakers Introduce Statewide Smoking Ban Bill[/size]

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_025072442.html

It's really clear it's time for a smoke-free Minnesota," said Mike Maguire of the American Cancer Society.
    I couldn't agree more.
    Funny aside...my uncle used to run the karaoke show at the Blue Fox back in the mid-90s.
    Small world.
    How can you claim that's not funny?
    My comment was an aside...that was funny!
    Smartass!!!
    >
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

I don't mind stepping outside to puff one.

Its totally my choice and my lungs, so if someone around me doesn't like it, I'll walk a few yards away and enjoy that delicious, smokey death.
    -Sno

I agree with it other than private institutions. It's complete bull that you wouldn't be allowed to smoke in a bar. And btw, the government will never outlaw cigs, they make litterally billions in taxes off of it. In NY every pack of cigs you buy I think it's like at least3$ goes straight to taxes. They're also like 7-8bucks a pack though.
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

It's really clear it's time for a smoke-free Minnesota," said Mike Maguire of the American Cancer Society.
    I couldn't agree more.
    I'm all for respecting peoples rights & don't mind non-smoking public places. I just don't like the fact that they are forcing it down private owners throats.

It should be up to the owner to decide whether his establishment is to be smoking or non-smoking.

Of course you agree. You do not smoke. It's easy to agree with something you dislike or do not do.

I do not drink. Why not put an end to selling alcohol for consumption in public places. You can do your drinking at home. It will help cut down on the number of deaths by drunk drivers.

And why they are at it, they should toss on an extra $2 state tax for every 12 pak of beer sold or every bottle of booze sold. Hell they are doing it on cigarettes, so why not alcohol?

How many people were killed on Minnesota or Wisconsin state roads last year by drunk drivers, compared to the number of people that died as a result of second hand smoke?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"singersp" wrote:

I couldn't agree more.
    I'm all for respecting peoples rights & don't mind non-smoking public places. I just don't like the fact that they are forcing it down private owners throats.

It should be up to the owner to decide whether his establishment is to be smoking or non-smoking.

Of course you agree. You do not smoke. It's easy to agree with something you dislike or do not do.

I do not drink. Why not put an end to selling alcohol for consumption in public places. You can do your drinking at home. It will help cut down on the number of deaths by drunk drivers.

And why they are at it, they should toss on an extra $2 state tax for every 12 pak of beer sold or every bottle of booze sold. Hell they are doing it on cigarettes, so why not alcohol?

How many people were killed on Minnesota or Wisconsin state roads last year by drunk drivers, compared to the number of people that died as a result of second hand smoke?

They're already doing something about drunk driving. In the last decade, there has been a huge crackdown, with MUCH stiffer punishments, and an education campaign which has led to drunk driving being taken much more seriously by everyone. While it has obviously not eliminated the problem, much has been done to improve the situation.

You said you "don't like the fact that they are forcing it down private owners throats." How about the smoke that is literally being forced down innocent people's throats? You can say all you want that it's someone's choice as an adult to enter a smoking bar, but I don't think it should be the responsibility of a innocent person to have to go search out a smoke-free bar just so they can have a drink without getting second-hand smoke.

In Winnipeg here, they put in a public smoking ban about 5 years ago, and there was initially huge backlash from people. But this has died down, and the city has been a much more enjoyable place. Whenever I travel and go into a restaurant in another city, it's a night and day difference.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

You could just smoke something else and forget about the problem, plus the restaurants would be boomin.
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast