Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    PurpleGator is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Lawmakers Introduce Statewide Smoking Ban Bill

"singersp" wrote:
    Also, it stands to reason that a lot of the deaths that are being blamed on second hand smoke are deaths of people that were exposed to it long before a lot of the smoking bans that we already have today were in place.

Back not so many years ago, one could smoke freely anywhere they went that you cannot do today. The numbers you are looking at today are for the majority people in their 50's & 60's that were exposed to it many years ago when the majority of the people smoked.

That is no longer true in todays society.

There are enough laws in place today that over the course of time will show a dramatic decline in second hand smoke deaths.

People make it seem like there is teens & middle age people dieing like flies because they have to walk past somebody who is smoking.

Hey they are going to say it because it doesn't affect them.

Thats why Minneapolis was struggling.

Nobody wanted to go downtown because you couldn't smoke.

So stop smoking. Go to somebodys house and stop them too.

Everybody, hire more police. Put cameras in homes. Pay more taxes.....

Love, live, play in Minnesota.
    Where communism is home.

On a side note (History)......
    The farmer labor party was the communist party.

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

"singersp" wrote:
    "JDogg926" wrote:
    I'm all for it.
    Why should non-smokers be forced into not going to bars to avoid smoke?
    Non-smokers like to drink just as much as smokers, they just don't like to smell like an ashtray after they leave the bar.
    The thing about privately owned bars, is they are open to the public, the public is invited inside, therefore smoking should be banned in these places.
    Not saying you shouldn't have the right to smoke, just step outside and smoke away from the confined spaces.
    Big deal, take a walk for 2 mins, get some fresh air while you're trashing your lungs.
    Don't trash others'.
    First off, when is the last time you were forced into a bar?

Secondly, a lot of us do step outside and smoke away from the confined spaces. But again, that is not good enough for the non-smokers, they wan't it restricted on the outside as well.
    I said forced into not going to bars, in other words avoiding bars, I should have the right to go the bar, sit down and have beer and not leave after my beer smelling like smoke, or having my allergies act up.
    Good for you, if you step outside, you should be able to do that.
    We recently passed an indoor smoking ban in Ohio, it has yet to take full effect, but the law doesn't prevent you from going outside, or even going onto an open patio and having a smoke, just from doing so in the enclosed areas.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"JDogg926" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "JDogg926" wrote:
    I'm all for it.
    Non-smokers like to drink just as much as smokers, they just don't like to smell like an ashtray after they leave the bar.
    The thing about privately owned bars, is they are open to the public, the public is invited inside, therefore smoking should be banned in these places.
    Not saying you shouldn't have the right to smoke, just step outside and smoke away from the confined spaces.
    Big deal, take a walk for 2 mins, get some fresh air while you're trashing your lungs.
    Don't trash others'.

Secondly, a lot of us do step outside and smoke away from the confined spaces. But again, that is not good enough for the non-smokers, they wan't it restricted on the outside as well.
    I said forced into not going to bars, in other words avoiding bars, I should have the right to go the bar, sit down and have beer and not leave after my beer smelling like smoke, or having my allergies act up.
    We recently passed an indoor smoking ban in Ohio, it has yet to take full effect, but the law doesn't prevent you from going outside, or even going onto an open patio and having a smoke, just from doing so in the enclosed areas.
    And shouldn't that bar owner have the same right to say that his place is either smoking allowed or smoke free?

What you are saying is that you feel you have more of a right over the rules of an establishment than what the owner himself has.

Again, leave it up to the owners to make the the decision whether their establishment is smoke free or not. Not the patrons.

If in fact it is true that smoke free bars are flourishing because of non-smoking, why don't you see more owners switching to it by choice?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurpleGator is offline Hall of Famer

"singersp" wrote:
    "JDogg926" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "JDogg926" wrote:
    I'm all for it.
    Don't trash others'.

And shouldn't that bar owner have the same right to say that his place is either smoking allowed or smoke free?

What you are saying is that you feel you have more of a right over the rules of an establishment than what the owner himself has.

Again, leave it up to the owners to make the the decision whether their establishment is smoke free or not. Not the patrons.

If in fact it is true that smoke free bars are flourishing because of non-smoking, why don't you see more owners switching to it by choice?
    The owner should have the right.
    Not somebody that has nothing to do with the bar or some lawmaker.
    If he wants customers to be able to smoke, its up to him. Cafe Havana was made for Cigar smoking.
    When the Minneapolis passed a smoking ban they lost 64% the first month.
    I don't even know if there open now.

The owner should have the right. Not the state or government. Telling others what to do with there possession, money, and time.

Free to choose?
    What can I choose?
    Nothing....

I always disliked Minnesota laws. They made no sense....

Welcome to Minnesota! Where communism is home.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"WVV" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    It's so stupid.. Government should be cracking down on other things.. And let the people who own the businesses decide if they want smoking in thier buildings or not

Until then im gonna puff on my menthol.. Newports baby.. And whoever mean mugs me gets a fat cloud of nicoteen in thier grill

One Love
    Then you might just get a fist in yours.
    ;D

Then I get a few grand in my wallet and/or a few of the persons teeth in my knuckles

One Love
    and black lungs
    [img width=298 height=248]http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Sections/Newsweek/Components/Photos/Mag/050822_Issue/050813_Lung_hsmall.widec.jpg[/img]

Still look good on the outside baby!! And I can still run a mile no prob

One Love

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

This thread is about dead.....

I think I'll go outside and light one up, to holp me forget about it.........

Where's all the Vikings talk.........Thats what I'm talking about... ;D

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Matter of fact.. I need a square right now! PEACE

One Love

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"V4L" wrote:
    Matter of fact.. I need a square right now! PEACE

One Love
    LOL, youngsters.
    I was once that way as well.
    14 years of 2 packs a day.

I saw a bumper sticker like this today:

[img width=400 height=271]http://i.blog.empas.com/sky369k/1629869_440x299.jpg[/img]

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:

Excessive alcohol consumption is the third leading preventable cause of death in the United States

http://www.cdc.gov/MMWR/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5337a2.htm

Yet, I don't hear you getting up on your soapbox & calling for a ban on drinking in bars or public places.

Why? Because you drink & it would it put a cringe in your life style & force you to do something you don't want to stop doing. It's easy to voice your opinion against smoking when you don't smoke, but when it comes to drinking, something you do, you do not voice your opinion on it.

That stat is for excessive drinking alone & does not include the number of people killed as a result of drunk driving accidents or acts of violence that are are a direct result of someone under the influence of alcohol.
    The MAJOR difference between smoking and drinking is that drinking can be done responsibly, and no ill effects will be observed, whereas smoking is ALWAYS hazardous to your health to some degree.
    Your liver can't filter out the hundreds of carcinogens present in cigarette smoke like it can simple ethanol.
    People that drink irresponsibly should be accountable for there action, whether it result in death, disease, whatever.
    People who don't even smoke should not be held responsible for someone elses addiction, under any circumstances.

From the same organization you cited:

Each year secondhand smoke kills an estimated 3,000 adult nonsmokers from lung cancer.

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/research_data/environmental/ets-fact.htm

The study you cited was based on the results of some vague computer program with an algorithm attemting to define the effect of drinking.
    Look up the deaths and disease actually attributed directly to drinking (not adjusted life lost), compare that to smoking and see which ones kills more.

The fact is, no business owner should have the right to expose employees or customers to cancer causing chemicals.
    It is irresponsible and unethical.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:
    "JDogg926" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "JDogg926" wrote:
    I'm all for it.
    Don't trash others'.

The problem with saying that the bar is "privately" owned, is that it's open to the "public".

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast