Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

Largest bear ever recorded

[img width=300 height=196]http://mountainsurvival.com/news_articles/picts/bear_head.jpg[/img]

[img width=207 height=300]http://mountainsurvival.com/news_articles/picts/bear_paw.jpg[/img]

These pictures are of a guy who works for the US Forest Service in Alaska and his trophy bear. He was out deer hunting last week when a large grizzly bear charged him from about 50 yards away. The guy unloaded his 7mm Mag Semi-automatic rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The big bear was still alive so he reloaded and shot it several times in the head.
    The bear was just over one thousand six hundred pounds (1600#). It stood 12' 6" high at the shoulder, 14' to the top of his head. It's the largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world.

Of course, the Alaska Fish and Wildlife Commission did not let him keep it as a trophy, but the bear will be stuffed and mounted, and placed on display at the Anchorage airport (to remind tourist's of the risks involved when in the wild). Based on the contents of the bears stomach, the Fish and Wildlife Commission established the bear
    had killed at least two humans in the past 72 hours. His last meal was the unlucky nature buff in the third picture below. The US Forest Service, backtracking from where the bear had originated, found the hiker's 38-caliber pistol emptied. Not far from the pistol was the remains of the hiker . The other body has not been found. Although the hiker fired six shots and managed to hit the grizzly with four shots (they ultimately found four 38 caliber slugs along with twelve 7mm slugs inside the bear's dead body) it only wounded the bear - and probably angered it. The bear killed the hiker an estimated two days prior to the bear's own death by the gun of the Forest Service worker.

Think about this - If you are an average size man; You would be level with the bear's belly button when he stood upright, the bear would look you in the eye when it walked on all fours! To give additional perspective, consider that this particular bear, standing on its hind legs, could walk up to an average single story house and look over the roof, or walk up to a two story house and look in the bedroom windows.
    I thought was completely insane!
    That bear is absolutely monsterous.
    I can't imagine stumbling onto a beast like this in the wild.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Re: Largest bear ever recorded

Holy crap!

(As Bill Cosby once said, "First you say it, then you do it!")
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

That's insane! Check out the size of it's head, the bear's nose is about the size of that guy's head.

Purple D is offline Starter

Its a fake,
    I have seen this picture before,
    like 3 years ago atleast ,
    the pictures are doctored up.
    Four score and seven years ago, Brad Childress has brought upon this team, a west coast offense, conceived in San Francisco, and Dedicated to be a Kick jiggly butt offence. We are now engaged in an NFL season, testing weather that offense can get going or that our defense can long endure.

Now I'm curious. How do you know it's fake.

Here's the website I found on it.

http://mountainsurvival.com/news_articles/bearattack.html

check out the third pic if you want to see something gross.

This should clear it up.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl-grizzlybear.htm

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

I was looking further into this a little while ago.
    I found one site that said the picture are in fact real but the bear wasn't quite as tall and wasn't hardly as heavy as the story says.
    The site I was looking also said that it wasn't sure or not if the bear really had killed two people only days before it was killed.

In the end, I can't really find a definitive answer to the question of whether this is real or not but I do think the picture are indeed real.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

According to E-Rumor here's the real story:
    http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/g/giantbear.htm

Thanks to our readers, the truth about these pictures has been found. The facts are a little different from the original eRumor, but the pictures do record the results of a true hunt and are real.

The original pictures lacked the label linking them with hunting-pictures.com, but that is where the pictures reside.
    They were posted by a hunter who used the nickname
    Dalliwacker, on www.assaultweb.net, but who is, according to published articles, Jim Urban.
    He says that the bear was actually ten feet high and weighed between 1,000 and 1,200 pounds.
    He says the bear did not stand up then drop down and charge.
    It showed no aggression at all.
    He also says the bear was not shot on Hitchenbrook Island but, like all good hunters, he won't be specific about where he got it <smile>.

The versions of the eRumor that claims the bear was a killer and was shot by a forest service employee or was a killer and human remains were found in his stomach, are false.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I've seen this before too, and yes it's the real bear, but the numbers are wrong.

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

Man my mom would freak out, she's deathly afraid of bears.

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast