Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Landis Sample Tainted

Looks like someone personally tried to hang Landis out to dry. I wonder who that would be? :lol:

NEW YORK -- Tests show that some of the testosterone in Floyd Landis' system at the Tour de France was synthetic and not naturally produced by his body as he claimed, according to a newspaper report.

The French antidoping lab testing the American cyclist's samples determined that some of the hormone came from an external source, The New York Times reported on its Web site Monday night, citing a person at the International Cycling Union with knowledge of the result.

The finding undermines the defense that Landis has stood behind since he tested positive for an elevated ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone following the 17th stage of the Tour de France, where he staged a stirring comeback in the Alps to make up for a poor performance the day before.

Looking and sounding defiant, Landis said Friday that his body's natural metabolism -- not doping of any kind -- caused the result and that he would undergo tests to prove it.

"We will explain to the world why this is not a doping case but a natural occurrence," Landis said at a news conference in Madrid, Spain.

But after determining that Landis's ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone was more than twice the limit of 4:1, the lab performed a carbon isotope ratio test on the first of Landis's two urine samples, the person told the Times.

That test determines whether the testosterone it is natural or synthetic.

Landis officially requested the testing of his backup urine sample Monday for an elevated testosterone ratio. If the "B" test is negative, Landis would be cleared. If it's positive, which Landis' lawyers say they expect, he could be stripped of his Tour victory and banned for two years.

The Times reported that Landis was in New York on Monday night and could not be reached for comment.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Landis Sample Tainted

Part of it was synthetic...but did anyone question whether it was added to his sample AFTER he gave it. That lab has a bad reputation that they could be trying to clear after screwing up on the tests for Lance Armstrong in the past!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

That just verifies that he took something and that his body didn't produce the testosterone. Not tainted by anyone but Landis who took something illegal.

Thats how I read that article

[color=red]

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Part of it was synthetic...but did anyone question whether it was added to his sample AFTER he gave it. That lab has a bad reputation that they could be trying to clear after screwing up on the tests for Lance Armstrong in the past!
    That could be true but this article doesn't imply that.

[color=red]

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

In this day and age, where always going to here this stuff. So who know what the truth is. Are they going to sart testing the dart and paintball participants that have been on ESPN lately?

YogidAbEAR is offline Star Spokesman

who cares about the TDF anyways, steroids might make it more interesting

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Yes this is bad for Landis.

From the very start of this, they have said that Landis' statement that he has a natural high testosterone level could easially be undermined because if you take some drug, it shows up as synthetic. Just as it apperently now has. So that undermines that excuse by the rider.

Look for the next excuse to be along the lines of Gatlin, that someone robbed him with som bad lotion without his knowledge.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I'd change the title of this thread if it were me. To say the sample was tainted implies that the sample was altered after it was taken from Landis, and therefore unusable for testing.

This article says that the increased testosterone in Landis's system came from an external source: ie, drugs. So the sample is fine.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Here I'll give you an translation of an excerption of an article in a danish newspaper:

»I have never seen or heard of ratios that are this high. And I'll put it like this, either he were doped, or he has testicle cancer«, says doping expert Rasmus Damsgaard.

Acording to German media Landis' test from the 17th stage has shown a testosteron level of 11:1. A normal human is 1:1, but the boundery for a positive doping test is at 4:1.

»It used to be 6:1, but it was changed in 2005, because after analysis of many years of samples it was establised that it were extremly rare that anyone were over 4:1. Is there anyone that is over that level, it is tested and establised wether it is artificially produced or not - and that is quite an easy procedure«, says Rasmus Damsgaard, yet in all the years he has worked with professional athletes, he has never seen anyone over 7:1

»No, that I have not seen. 6:1 is very high, så therefore a ratio as the one Landis apparently had, is in my world physiological imposiple«, says the doping scientist.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"cogitans" wrote:
    I have never seen or heard of ratios that are this high. And I'll put it like this, either he were doped, or he has testicle cancer, says doping expert Rasmus Damsgaard.
    Buh-Zing!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast