BadlandsVikings is online now Jersey Retired

Katrina: 5 Years Later

New Orleans today is once again the vibrant, multicultural city of legend, hustling and bustling with seafood festivals, Mardi Gras celebrations, spicy foods and live music echoing from almost every street corner. But five years ago, it was a city of despair and destroyed buildings submerged under 12 feet of water, much like most of the Gulf Coast hit by Hurricane Katrina.........
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts3464

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Katrina: 5 Years Later

Hurricanes have nothing to do with football./
    We're bringing purple back.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Re: Katrina: 5 Years Later

Is this being a little overdone now? Everyone and their grandma is telling essentially the same story.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Katrina: 5 Years Later

OK, this will likely piss a few people off...

My take on this whole thing is, "Aren't we done with this yet? Really?"

I am sick to death of Katrina sob stories. I felt bad when it happened...for a week or so...then moved on. Not because I didn't feel bad about people dying, or about people suffering, but because THEY WERE TOLD TO LEAVE AND CHOSE NOT TO!!!!!

Here's my take on things: If the Government tells you, "Hey, you live in a salad bowl, surrounded by water, and the water is almost to the top of the bowl, and a ginormous wave is coming so you better leave", well, I'm leaving. If you're stupid enough to stay...well...my sympathy is limited.

Furthermore, if I was brain damaged enough to stay, and I survived, when rescuers arrived, I wouldn't be SHOOTING AT THEM!!!! In fact, "Shoot at Rescuers" is pretty high on my list of "THINGS NOT TO DO"...it's right up there with, "Don't open up a vein to mark the ocean so helicopters can see where I'm floating"...

Finally, someone is bound to make this about race...much like Kanye (Idiot) West did. It isn't. It's about glamorizing a self-made victim. People were warned. Transportation out was provided. They elected to stay.

My sympathy pool - once that part of the story came out - evaporated.

So I don't care about "Katrina 5 years Later". I think it's a glamorization of self-inflicted tragedy. I also don't applaud "Survivors" who climb into bear cages at the zoo, or who elect to swim with crocodiles. In fact, I call them idiots.

Caine

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

No one talks about the tsunami in China after math.
    We're bringing purple back.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Caine wrote:

I am sick to death of Katrina sob stories. I felt bad when it happened...for a week or so...then moved on. Not because I didn't feel bad about people dying, or about people suffering, but because THEY WERE TOLD TO LEAVE AND CHOSE NOT TO!!!!!

Here's my take on things: If the Government tells you, "Hey, you live in a salad bowl, surrounded by water, and the water is almost to the top of the bowl, and a ginormous wave is coming so you better leave", well, I'm leaving. If you're stupid enough to stay...well...my sympathy is limited.

Furthermore, if I was brain damaged enough to stay, and I survived, when rescuers arrived, I wouldn't be SHOOTING AT THEM!!!! In fact, "Shoot at Rescuers" is pretty high on my list of "THINGS NOT TO DO"...it's right up there with, "Don't open up a vein to mark the ocean so helicopters can see where I'm floating"...

Finally, someone is bound to make this about race...much like Kanye (Idiot) West did. It isn't. It's about glamorizing a self-made victim. People were warned. Transportation out was provided. They elected to stay.

So I don't care about "Katrina 5 years Later". I think it's a glamorization of self-inflicted tragedy. I also don't applaud "Survivors" who climb into bear cages at the zoo, or who elect to swim with crocodiles. In fact, I call them idiots.

Caine
    It was the largest disaster in US history. It's not just those that stayed behing that suffered. Hundreds of thousands lost there homes and jobs.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

jmcdon00 wrote:
    Caine wrote:

Caine
    It was the largest disaster in US history. It's not just those that stayed behing that suffered. Hundreds of thousands lost there homes and jobs.
    Not to mention the billions of dollars of damage done to city infrastructure. The streets and buildings didn't have the option to pack up and leave.

dfosterf is offline Coach

Screw 'em. They got a Superbowl win. I want my money back, lol