Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: JV MEDINA STORM - No Class!!

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Those are some big fricken 9 and 10 year olds, especially on the DL.
    Wow.

How many kids are on the roster, and do they all get a chance to play if you have a big lead?
    Just curious?
    We keep the rosters small; we had 17 players.
    I have seen other teams with 25+.

WE only have 1 big player.
    The weight limit for the players is 140; and he is 130.
    The weight limit for a ball carrier is 110.
    Ultra Jr. is a whopping 84lbs. and can lay the wood.

Every player has to play at least 10 plays, and this is charted.
    Our non-starters get a lot more than 10.

When you are up by 3 scores, you have to change-out the starting QB, RB, FB, and WR.
    A lot of games we were up by 3 in the first quarter.
    So, the back-ups got a lot of reps this year...even more than the 1st string.
    Then I can't see any justification for other parents complaining.

There is one important thing that your players are missing out on which the other kids aren't.
    A loss.
    Learning how to lose with dignity is a pretty important lesson.
    The parents of the other teams had the opportunity to teach this lesson, they just blew it.
    See, our city has had crap HS football teams forever only making the playoffs once.
    The atmosphere is pathetic and a lot of that comes from the mentality of our city.
    We are trying to change that.
    The city that borders us to the North has always been a football powerhouse.
    They have beat us bad for years and this year went undefeated and are deep in the state playoffs.
    The atmosphere in that city is all about footnall.
    You go to their games and it is electric.
    At our games it is not.
    It is more a "poor Medina, we tried hard again" or they just blame the refs.
    It is so pathetic.
    I have thought for a long time that when Ultra Jr. reaches High School that we may send him to a Private School.
    The Private Schools here are football powerhouses.
    But, we are trying to change things.
    We stomp every city we would play in HS now and there should be no reason why we cannot in the future.

Here is a quote from the head coach of that team I mentioned.
    He is Brunswicks head coach and we are Medina:

At some schools, like, say, Medina, that would lead to parents calling The Gazette and leaving angry voicemail messages because Joey Jr. didn’t get enough credit for that TD pass he caught with the team up 42 in the fourth quarter.

Not at Brunswick. The Winners don’t worry about whose name is in the headline or who gets quoted in the story or who is in the big picture on the front page. All the Winners care about is winning, which is why they have six straight conference championships and seven straight playoff berths.

“It’s a ‘W,’” an elated Gribble said after recording a paltry two catches for 22 yards against Hoover. “I’ll take a win over seven touchdown passes in a game any day.”

That is the 100% truth.
    Alll parents care about in Medina is their own kids.
    I see that now as a youth coach.
    Why isn't Jimmy running the ball?
    Well, little Jimmy missed practice for soccer and he does not try at all.
    You would really transfer your kid to a different school so that he could play on a better football team? Seriously that seems like bad sportsmanship. It is about playing a game not winning.
    Some parents take this stuff way too seriously, its just a game, there are alot more important things.
    Its not about the winning, it's about my son getting the most out of playing the game and learning the proper skills to suceed.
    I have always said I will put my son where he will benefit the most whether the team is good or not.

At the HS level it is about winning.
    Some kids are playing for scholarships and some just want to play college ball.

Wake-up, it is 2007.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:

Are you trash talking? At 9 and 10 it really doesn't matter who wins it should just be for fun. Cangrats though on dominating those 3rd graders.
    No, I am telling the truth.

These kids are 4th and 5th graders.
    They are 9-10 as of Aug. 1st.
    Most are 10-11 now.

We have 3 goals:

To learn how to play the game correctly
    To win
    To have fun

We accomplished all 3.
    Our parents were very happy with everything.
    Our less talented players got more playing time on our team than they would have on any other.

What is wrong with that?

BTW, do you have kids?
    Nothing wrong with it, sounds like you are doing a great job and I am sure the kids and there parents are very happy to have somone as knowledgeable as yourself helping out. I just thought you came off sounding a little arrogant, but more likely you are just a very proud parent.
    I have no kids.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    [quote author=NodakPaul link=topic=39858.msg676830#msg676830 date=1195571242]
    Those are some big fricken 9 and 10 year olds, especially on the DL.
    Wow.

How many kids are on the roster, and do they all get a chance to play if you have a big lead?
    Just curious?
    We keep the rosters small; we had 17 players.
    I have seen other teams with 25+.

WE only have 1 big player.
    The weight limit for the players is 140; and he is 130.
    The weight limit for a ball carrier is 110.
    Ultra Jr. is a whopping 84lbs. and can lay the wood.

Every player has to play at least 10 plays, and this is charted.
    Our non-starters get a lot more than 10.

When you are up by 3 scores, you have to change-out the starting QB, RB, FB, and WR.
    A lot of games we were up by 3 in the first quarter.
    So, the back-ups got a lot of reps this year...even more than the 1st string.
    Then I can't see any justification for other parents complaining.

There is one important thing that your players are missing out on which the other kids aren't.
    A loss.
    Learning how to lose with dignity is a pretty important lesson.
    The parents of the other teams had the opportunity to teach this lesson, they just blew it.
    See, our city has had crap HS football teams forever only making the playoffs once.
    The atmosphere is pathetic and a lot of that comes from the mentality of our city.
    We are trying to change that.
    The city that borders us to the North has always been a football powerhouse.
    They have beat us bad for years and this year went undefeated and are deep in the state playoffs.
    The atmosphere in that city is all about footnall.
    You go to their games and it is electric.
    At our games it is not.
    It is more a "poor Medina, we tried hard again" or they just blame the refs.
    It is so pathetic.
    I have thought for a long time that when Ultra Jr. reaches High School that we may send him to a Private School.
    The Private Schools here are football powerhouses.
    But, we are trying to change things.
    We stomp every city we would play in HS now and there should be no reason why we cannot in the future.

Here is a quote from the head coach of that team I mentioned.
    He is Brunswicks head coach and we are Medina:

At some schools, like, say, Medina, that would lead to parents calling The Gazette and leaving angry voicemail messages because Joey Jr. didn’t get enough credit for that TD pass he caught with the team up 42 in the fourth quarter.

Not at Brunswick. The Winners don’t worry about whose name is in the headline or who gets quoted in the story or who is in the big picture on the front page. All the Winners care about is winning, which is why they have six straight conference championships and seven straight playoff berths.

“It’s a ‘W,’” an elated Gribble said after recording a paltry two catches for 22 yards against Hoover. “I’ll take a win over seven touchdown passes in a game any day.”

That is the 100% truth.
    Alll parents care about in Medina is their own kids.
    I see that now as a youth coach.
    Why isn't Jimmy running the ball?
    Well, little Jimmy missed practice for soccer and he does not try at all.
    You would really transfer your kid to a different school so that he could play on a better football team? Seriously that seems like bad sportsmanship. It is about playing a game not winning.
    Some parents take this stuff way too seriously, its just a game, there are alot more important things.
    Its not about the winning, it's about my son getting the most out of playing the game and learning the proper skills to suceed.
    I have always said I will put my son where he will benefit the most whether the team is good or not.

At the HS level it is about winning.
    Some kids are playing for scholarships and some just want to play college ball.

Wake-up, it is 2007.
    [/quote]
    Believe it or not, it happens around here alot.

We must remember we aren't talking T-ball here were every kid is taught that he is winner no matter what the score.
    As ultra said, visibility playa a huge role in things like scholarships.

My son is a good/marginal player at best for this area, however, because he can hit real well and plays almost every position (Short, Second, Catcher, Right/left Field). I get calls all the time from schools who have mediocre teams.

I for one haven't moved Wildman because he wants to stay with his friends, however, I have thought about it several times, especially for next years golf team as his coach really sucks and he is on a bad team.

Long story short, I will leave it up to him and he will probably stay at his school but don't see an issue with engraining a winning attitude in your children, vice the "everyone is a winner" mentality that seems to be prevalent in todays society.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:

Are you trash talking? At 9 and 10 it really doesn't matter who wins it should just be for fun. Cangrats though on dominating those 3rd graders.

Most are 10-11 now.

We have 3 goals:

To win
    To have fun

We accomplished all 3.
    Our less talented players got more playing time on our team than they would have on any other.

What is wrong with that?

BTW, do you have kids?
    Nothing wrong with it, sounds like you are doing a great job and I am sure the kids and there parents are very happy to have somone as knowledgeable as yourself helping out. I just thought you came off sounding a little arrogant, but more likely you are just a very proud parent.
    I have no kids.
    I am a proud parent and a proud coach.
    I love all of these boys and I care about them a lot.

We have always, always, ALWAYS stressed to them theat football is not the most important thing for them now; school is.
    Even at this age we had a player inactive for 2 weeks because of his grades and getting in trouble at school.

We do not just give the ball to the "horses."
    We let our less talented player who work hard for us run the ball as well.
    We will get near the end zone and get them in for a core.
    We have moms crying they are so happy.
    Those players would not get that on any other team.

Honestly, I we went 14-0 and won everything but our players learned nothing, I would be very upset with myself and felt as if I had failed as a coach.
    It is about learning to play the game, giving it 100%, and having fun.

I have coached baseball, flag football (for the young kids), and tackle.
    Nothing has ever been as rewarding as this.
    When I see a player is "getting it" I am so happy for that player.
    This year I worked almost exclusivlely with our younger players that were less skilled.
    Great kids but not as talented.
    I gave them my all.
    I worked with them so much.
    On other teams these kids are pushed aside and they just get their 10 plays in a game.
    Some of these coaches do not care about them; I do care about them.
    I want them to learn and to have fun to.

I love football and I want to help other kids learn the game that has fascinated me since I was young.
    If I can help keep a kid interested, playing, and having fun...wouldn't you say I did a good job?

"Marrdro" wrote:

We must remember we aren't talking T-ball here were every kid is taught that he is winner no matter what the score.

My son is a good/marginal player at best for this area, however, because he can hit real well and plays almost every position (Short, Second, Catcher, Right/left Field). I get calls all the time from schools who have mediocre teams.

I for one haven't moved Wildman because he wants to stay with his friends, however, I have thought about it several times, especially for next years golf team as his coach really sucks and he is on a bad team.

Long story short, I will leave it up to him and he will probably stay at his school but don't see an issue with engraining a winning attitude in your children, vice the "everyone is a winner" mentality that seems to be prevalent in todays society.
    Exactly.

Instead of us just throwing him to a better school, our league has made a committement to make our city a football city.
    I have made the committment to do what I can as well.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Exactly.

Instead of us just throwing him to a better school, our league has made a committement to make our city a football city.
    I have made the committment to do what I can as well.
    On a side note, nothing better than looking out over the team in a critical situation and seeing the "Gimme the ball coach" look in everyone of thier eyes.

You know you have done your job and done it well my friend.
    ;D

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:

Most are 10-11 now.

We have 3 goals:

To win
    To have fun

We accomplished all 3.

What is wrong with that?

BTW, do you have kids?
    I have no kids.
    I am a proud parent and a proud coach.
    I love all of these boys and I care about them a lot.

We have always, always, ALWAYS stressed to them theat football is not the most important thing for them now; school is.
    Even at this age we had a player inactive for 2 weeks because of his grades and getting in trouble at school.

We do not just give the ball to the "horses."
    We let our less talented player who work hard for us run the ball as well.
    We will get near the end zone and get them in for a core.
    We have moms crying they are so happy.
    Those players would not get that on any other team.

Honestly, I we went 14-0 and won everything but our players learned nothing, I would be very upset with myself and felt as if I had failed as a coach.
    It is about learning to play the game, giving it 100%, and having fun.

I have coached baseball, flag football (for the young kids), and tackle.
    Nothing has ever been as rewarding as this.
    When I see a player is "getting it" I am so happy for that player.
    This year I worked almost exclusivlely with our younger players that were less skilled.
    Great kids but not as talented.
    I gave them my all.
    I worked with them so much.
    On other teams these kids are pushed aside and they just get their 10 plays in a game.
    Some of these coaches do not care about them; I do care about them.
    I want them to learn and to have fun to.

I love football and I want to help other kids learn the game that has fascinated me since I was young.
    If I can help keep a kid interested, playing, and having fun...wouldn't you say I did a good job?
    I already said you are doing a not just a good job but a great job. Keep up the good work.
    (sorry just a slow day and wanted to get a little controversy started, it worked ;D)

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Ultra,

I can only wish for my son to end up with a coach who has as much love and passion, not only for the game, but the kids themselves.
    I truly mean that.

If given the opportunity, I may try to get involved with coaching and helping the players also next season......

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Almost everything Ultra said is the right way to coach a youth football team. If the parents on other teams are pissed off about their kids losing, it's likely that their emotions are impressed upon their kids. That usually leads to kids not having fun playing the game which of course is the real reason we play, right. We did almost the exact opposite when I played youth football at a traditionally bad program. There were teams that were like Ultra's team- seemed unbeatable with huge kids. We had the team that no one thought would do anything that year against these so-called "powerhouse" youth teams. We ended up losing one game that year and went to two bowl games.

As for the school comes first thing, the league I played in had a provision that if anyone's grade dropped below a D they couldn't play until they brought it back up. If it's a pop-warner league, I'm pretty sure that's required although I played when I was in Middle school.

See, what other teams do is dwell on losing; poor us, they cheat, they are loaded, blah blah blah.
    Trust me, we got our asses handed to us the last 2 years in the Midwest National Championships.
    We were mostly 4th graders playing 6th graders.
    Hell, some of these kids were as big as me.
    We did not have a "poor us" attitude.
    We looked at what we did and our adjustments.
    We learned from it...some teams do not learn, they make excuses like those I just mentioned.
    What does that teach a kid?
    It does not help a player who wants to get better work harder.
    It keeps their game right where it is as opposed to improving.
    We improve every week whether we win or lose; that is a habit.
    When we do lose (in any sport) we never dwell on the game we just lost.
    We never make excuses.
    We get better and keep our team focused.
    This is what good teams with good coaches do, they keep their team focused.
    Losing is not the end of the world.
    Many times a loss is a great learning experience.
    Personally, I think you learn more from a loss than anything.
    No I do not like losing, but I am not going to cry and make lame excuses.

BTW, we were not the biggest team in our league.
    My son is average at 84 pounds.
    But, he will not avoid contact from a bigger player.
    He told me the bigger players are the easist to bring down.
    They are not going to juke you and if you go low they are coming down.
    That is the proper way to approach this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12