Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Just adopted a new pup....

"Vikestand" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Vikestand" wrote:
    I grew up my whole life with dogs, beagles, shepards, mixed wolf breeds and my favorite of all Blue Ticks...I hadn't had a chance to raise a dog the past 5 years or so due to college etc. Well I just graduated and got my own place(condo granted). But I felt it was time to get me another dog/companion for watching the Vikes and running and just being around. Well my sister-in-law's aunt runs the Heartland Humane Society so I was looking into adopting...Then I saw this little guy and read his story and couldn't resist....I just wanted to ask all of you for any advice on raising the pup and also say if you are looking for a dog check your local shelters/humanes society. There are plenty of dogs, great dogs for that fact that need great homes....

Here is my pups story below, he is a German Pointer Mix(I named him Rocky, they named him Oliver, but he is responsive to Rocky better..)

The pups spent the first 4 months of their life in a shed.
    Most of their contact was with a child.
    With lots of love and understanding, and helping them with their journey (lots of socialization, trying new things, taking lots of walks, crating, obedience classes for confidence, etc.) that would make a 100% change in the right direction for them.
    Oliver is the most outgoing in new situations, so far.
    He too, is very affectionate and so sweet.
    He acts like the "big brother" with his sisters.
    At 17 lbs. at 5 mo. old, 35- 40 lbs. should be a reasonable guess at his weight as an adult.

Hey my friend.
    Congrats on the new addition to the family.
    I am sure that you've found out by now that there are just as many ways to train your new friend so I won't give you my input, however, we have had a couple of threads of this nature already that have some great stuff in them.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...?topic=43762.0

Thank you! I appreciate the help....

By the way, believe it or not he was so excited to see me after work that he dominated those stairs already!
    I learned something last night about my two beagles........

They don't like to be in the house when the Vikes loose.
    Wildwomans shreaks and yells scare the shit out of them.
    I would recommend you take the following approach.

If it smells of defeat during the game, let him out early so he isn't scarred for life.
    ;D JK.

Seriously, I hope he gives you as much joy as my two do.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Vikestand is offline Coordinator

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Vikestand" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Vikestand" wrote:
    I grew up my whole life with dogs, beagles, shepards, mixed wolf breeds and my favorite of all Blue Ticks...I hadn't had a chance to raise a dog the past 5 years or so due to college etc. Well I just graduated and got my own place(condo granted). But I felt it was time to get me another dog/companion for watching the Vikes and running and just being around. Well my sister-in-law's aunt runs the Heartland Humane Society so I was looking into adopting...Then I saw this little guy and read his story and couldn't resist....I just wanted to ask all of you for any advice on raising the pup and also say if you are looking for a dog check your local shelters/humanes society. There are plenty of dogs, great dogs for that fact that need great homes....

Here is my pups story below, he is a German Pointer Mix(I named him Rocky, they named him Oliver, but he is responsive to Rocky better..)

With lots of love and understanding, and helping them with their journey (lots of socialization, trying new things, taking lots of walks, crating, obedience classes for confidence, etc.) that would make a 100% change in the right direction for them.
    At 17 lbs. at 5 mo. old, 35- 40 lbs. should be a reasonable guess at his weight as an adult.

Hey my friend.
    Congrats on the new addition to the family.
    I am sure that you've found out by now that there are just as many ways to train your new friend so I won't give you my input, however, we have had a couple of threads of this nature already that have some great stuff in them.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...?topic=43762.0

Thank you! I appreciate the help....

By the way, believe it or not he was so excited to see me after work that he dominated those stairs already!
    I learned something last night about my two beagles........

They don't like to be in the house when the Vikes loose.
    Wildwomans shreaks and yells scare the pooh out of them.
    I would recommend you take the following approach.

If it smells of defeat during the game, let him out early so he isn't scarred for life.
    ;D JK.

Seriously, I hope he gives you as much joy as my two do.
    I should have known of things to come last night when I got home from work and the Vikes blanket I put in his crate with him was torn to shreds. I guess he had known what was going to happen before it did!

By Pack93z

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the other with no loss of enthusiasm"-Sir Winston Churchill

A quick question.................

Since I am crate training this pup for the first time(5 months old) he did great the past two nights with nothing but a wimper. In fact I never heard him bark until a little bit ago when I put him in his crate tonight...I took him for a long run/walk played with him etc...He does not go into his cage, I have to pick him up and put him in there....So I guess this is a two part question

1. Do I just let him go if he is barking(neighbors will be furious)
    2. What is the cause of him barking since he was fine the past two nights?

By Pack93z

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the other with no loss of enthusiasm"-Sir Winston Churchill

Welll since it has been awhile I figured I would give you guys an update...He is a GREAT dog and DOING GREAT. The first few weeks were kinda rough but he came around and is pretty well behaved and trained dog. I took him down to our family farm and I took so much pleasure just watching him run around in our fields. He was really skiddish when I first got him, obviously being in a shed for the first four months of his life didn't help, but he is freak'n great now....

[img size=100]http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC00447.JPG[/img]

By Pack93z

By Pack93z

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Vikestand" wrote:
    A quick question.................

Since I am crate training this pup for the first time(5 months old) he did great the past two nights with nothing but a wimper. In fact I never heard him bark until a little bit ago when I put him in his crate tonight...I took him for a long run/walk played with him etc...He does not go into his cage, I have to pick him up and put him in there....So I guess this is a two part question

1. Do I just let him go if he is barking(neighbors will be furious)
    2. What is the cause of him barking since he was fine the past two nights?
    I have never used a crate to train any of my dogs so I am not sure but I will take a stab hoping I am not steering you off the beaten path.

a.
    I wouldn't let him bark but would ignore the first few barks and randomly check him out so that he doesn't figure out that you will come as soon as he does bark.

b.
    His barking might be just trying to get attention as over time he should be growing accustomed to your company.
    Again, I will change it up a bit with respect to how many barks before you go check on him.

Aside from that, I spent time with my dogs and figured out how long it would take for them to go after eating and drinking and then adjusted thier meal times to coincide with walks to ensure they weren't gonna have mistakes at night.
    Takes a bit of work but alleviates the need to lock your animal up in a cage at night.

Quick question, do you have a yard that is fenced in?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Vikeman is offline Asst. Coach

"Vikestand" wrote:

Awesome dog!
    We are dog lovers up here in New England.
    Have had dogs for my entire life--all shelter dogs.
    When I become more tech savy, I plan on posting a photo of my "Greta" (she already had the name) in her Minnesota Vikings doggie jacket.
    She is a Jack-Russell Whippett mix.
    Unfortunately, my neck of the woods is not like middle-America.
    Dogs have more integrity, loyalty, bravery and are much more trust-worthy than the average Mass. resident.
    I would not want to live in a world without dogs!
    A good friend will help you move...a best friend will help you move a body.

"Vikeman" wrote:
    "Vikestand" wrote:

Awesome dog!
    We are dog lovers up here in New England.
    Have had dogs for my entire life--all shelter dogs.
    When I become more tech savy, I plan on posting a photo of my "Greta" (she already had the name) in her Minnesota Vikings doggie jacket.
    She is a Jack-Russell Whippett mix.
    Unfortunately, my neck of the woods is not like middle-America.
    Dogs have more integrity, loyalty, bravery and are much more trust-worthy than the average Mass. resident.
    I would not want to live in a world without dogs!
    Very well said my man....Whippets are great dogs, my brother had one when we were kids and it was prolly the most loyal dog I have ever seen......

By Pack93z

Jilly is offline Coach

"Vikestand" wrote:
    Here are a few more pictures....

I feel like a proud dad...

Awwww...sounds like it's working out well for both of you.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

"Vikestand" wrote:

Great looking dog...very cool how social they are.
    Crate, hug, and love...we are raising a Scottish Terrier and can attest to the two-year theory - meaning, take two years and your loving companion will comply with how you have got to live.

Looks like you made a fine choice.
    Good luck.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast