Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Just adopted a new pup....

"Vikestand" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    I love dogs but can't stand cats. Good choice.
    You don't choose cats, cats choose you
    We had a simple solution for stray cats when I was a kid....
    I don't find animal abuse at all funny.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Vikestand" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:

=Z=
    How is that animal abouse?

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Vikestand" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:

=Z=
    How is that animal abouse?
    I don't find feral cats funny.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

"Vikestand" wrote:
    "vikefan05" wrote:
    very pretty dog!
    Good luck with him.
    Thank you! Like I said if anybody has any pointers(tips or dog) let me know!

One thing he has a problem with are stairs....So if anybody has any tips on getting the pup up stairs....
    patience.
    that's the biggest one, almost any dog can learn to do something with patience...which means not stressing it out and getting it fearful of a situation.
    The pups will start, and you will wish one day they were afraid of the stairs again.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

It's interesting...I adopted a English pointer mix from a shelter in Kentucky two years ago. She has become a really nice dog. The only bad thing is she was really abused when she was younger (we got her at about two years) and she's never learned to play. She is a great companion though and we have spent many long hours walking the wood and trails together. She is very protective but is very anxious when there are loud noises or sudden movements.
    Nice looking pup!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    It's interesting...I adopted a English pointer mix from a shelter in Kentucky two years ago. She has become a really nice dog. The only bad thing is she was really abused when she was younger (we got her at about two years) and she's never learned to play. She is a great companion though and we have spent many long hours walking the wood and trails together. She is very protective but is very anxious when there are loud noises or sudden movements.
    Nice looking pup!
    I watched the episode of Dogtown the other nite where they started taking care of the Vick pit bulls and there was a bait dog that would walk in a crouched position.
    It was fearful of everything.
    It perked up when they played a CD of dog laughter.
    "What?"
    Yes, dog laughter.
    It is a certain breathing they do when they are excited and friendly with other dogs.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Vikestand" wrote:
    I grew up my whole life with dogs, beagles, shepards, mixed wolf breeds and my favorite of all Blue Ticks...I hadn't had a chance to raise a dog the past 5 years or so due to college etc. Well I just graduated and got my own place(condo granted). But I felt it was time to get me another dog/companion for watching the Vikes and running and just being around. Well my sister-in-law's aunt runs the Heartland Humane Society so I was looking into adopting...Then I saw this little guy and read his story and couldn't resist....I just wanted to ask all of you for any advice on raising the pup and also say if you are looking for a dog check your local shelters/humanes society. There are plenty of dogs, great dogs for that fact that need great homes....

Here is my pups story below, he is a German Pointer Mix(I named him Rocky, they named him Oliver, but he is responsive to Rocky better..)

The pups spent the first 4 months of their life in a shed.
    Most of their contact was with a child.
    With lots of love and understanding, and helping them with their journey (lots of socialization, trying new things, taking lots of walks, crating, obedience classes for confidence, etc.) that would make a 100% change in the right direction for them.
    Oliver is the most outgoing in new situations, so far.
    He too, is very affectionate and so sweet.
    He acts like the "big brother" with his sisters.
    At 17 lbs. at 5 mo. old, 35- 40 lbs. should be a reasonable guess at his weight as an adult.

Hey my friend.
    Congrats on the new addition to the family.
    I am sure that you've found out by now that there are just as many ways to train your new friend so I won't give you my input, however, we have had a couple of threads of this nature already that have some great stuff in them.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...?topic=43762.0
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

VERY NICE!!!

Vikestand is offline Coordinator

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Vikestand" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:

=Z=
    Oh geez...

1. I grew up on a farm so they would get into everything(and carried diseases)
    2. I was a good shot so they never suffered(it was better than letting my blue tick get ahold of them)
    3. I'm adopting, so obviosly I care about animal abuse

By Pack93z

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the other with no loss of enthusiasm"-Sir Winston Churchill

Vikestand is offline Coordinator

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Vikestand" wrote:
    I grew up my whole life with dogs, beagles, shepards, mixed wolf breeds and my favorite of all Blue Ticks...I hadn't had a chance to raise a dog the past 5 years or so due to college etc. Well I just graduated and got my own place(condo granted). But I felt it was time to get me another dog/companion for watching the Vikes and running and just being around. Well my sister-in-law's aunt runs the Heartland Humane Society so I was looking into adopting...Then I saw this little guy and read his story and couldn't resist....I just wanted to ask all of you for any advice on raising the pup and also say if you are looking for a dog check your local shelters/humanes society. There are plenty of dogs, great dogs for that fact that need great homes....

Here is my pups story below, he is a German Pointer Mix(I named him Rocky, they named him Oliver, but he is responsive to Rocky better..)

The pups spent the first 4 months of their life in a shed.
    Most of their contact was with a child.
    With lots of love and understanding, and helping them with their journey (lots of socialization, trying new things, taking lots of walks, crating, obedience classes for confidence, etc.) that would make a 100% change in the right direction for them.
    Oliver is the most outgoing in new situations, so far.
    He too, is very affectionate and so sweet.
    He acts like the "big brother" with his sisters.
    At 17 lbs. at 5 mo. old, 35- 40 lbs. should be a reasonable guess at his weight as an adult.

Hey my friend.
    Congrats on the new addition to the family.
    I am sure that you've found out by now that there are just as many ways to train your new friend so I won't give you my input, however, we have had a couple of threads of this nature already that have some great stuff in them.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...?topic=43762.0

Thank you! I appreciate the help....

By the way, believe it or not he was so excited to see me after work that he dominated those stairs already!

By Pack93z

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the other with no loss of enthusiasm"-Sir Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast