Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Judges Power

6-KINGS Guest

A Judges Power

Ok since we have beaten each other to death over politics let's try a hypothical question posed by my Prof. concerning a Judges power.

1)A man and woman are married with 4 children.
    2)The husband makes $75,000 a year and the wife does not work.
    3)The husband quits his job to make pottery for a living, roughly $32,000 a year.
    He has NO health insurance now.
    4)The wife is tired of being poor now that her husband only make 32K a year.
    5) She files for divorce, and asks for the 25% max on child care out of his money plus health insurance to be paid by the husband.

Now should or can the judge demand that the husband quit his pottery dream and return to the former job that payed 75K with insurance?
    And if he cannot do that, can the judge demand that the husband procure health insurance for his family at his cost regardless of the husband losing 63% of his total earnings in that ruling?

We are a VERY diverse group here. What do you think?

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: A Judges Power

The man shouldn't have to provide insurance for them, because they were living without insurance before the divorce anyway. As far as the 25% of her husbands earnings, I'm not sure she's entitled to it necessarily, but she'd get it.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

That totally is not right, here in MN they just revised the child support formula to take into the women's salary in how much the father should pay. I had a friend who has a child with a women and a few years ago she found out that he was buying a decent size house so she took him back to court and won a judgement against him to pay more in support payments so he could not buy the house and so he said why have any motivation to improve his lifestyle until the child turns 18 and the payments are done.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    That totally is not right, here in MN they just revised the child support formula to take into the women's salary in how much the father should pay. I had a friend who has a child with a women and a few years ago she found out that he was buying a decent size house so she took him back to court and won a judgement against him to pay more in support payments so he could not buy the house and so he said why have any motivation to improve his lifestyle until the child turns 18 and the payments are done.
    See that's total crap! The court system gives women the ability to jerk their ex-husbands around. Spiteful women can really take a man for everything he's worth with no justification.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Most states have guidelines that determine the father's responsibility...however, I don't pretend to know what each state's guidelines are...I don't practice family law.

But chances are that the father will have to provide health insurance, however, the mom will probably get much less in child support due to that fact.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

is it so unreasonable for the father to pay to raise his own flesh and blood? do you have any idea how much it costs to raise a child? i'm not the most rational when i hear someone griping about paying child support, so i'll just say that it's important for us to remember that children deserve the best that both parents provide. i don't believe in alimony in the slightest, but child support is a moral obligation.

Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

Child support is a racket,nothing more!Friend of the Cu&t,thats what we call it here in Michigan,just screws guys plain and simple.My brother got divorced,Had to pay for her kid which he adopted(being a good guy) when they married.Now stuck paying for the kid for 12 years.She owes him 15,000$ from the divorce settlement.He asked if he could just nock it off since it,s been 6 years and he has seen nothing! They said no,they want thier cut,I think it,s about 6 %.He sends her 120 a week and he has to claim it as income not her? Utter B.S. Oh far as your scenario 6 Kings.Whatever way the guy gets screwed most is what will happen.
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?

6-KINGS Guest

Well come to find out the Judge can do anything he wants.
    I was like WHAT??!!!!
    Yeap he has guidelines but the final call is his.
    Judges often refer to the courtroom as "their courtroom" and "their world"
    Now the lawyers can threaten(because that is what it is)to
    appeal the judges ruling.
    Which is like telling the judge he is an idiot.
    And lawyers pay down the road for that move, when they have other cases before that same judge.
    And that revenge concept in the court system blows me a way.

Anyway, here in Texas he can access 25% for child support(which I agree with), and make you pay for insurance and then half of any bills that occur to that insurance that is not covered.ie the deductables, copays and half of your ex's lost wages if she has to take the kids and her work won't pay.
    CRAZZY!!!!
    In addition to all that if the former couple meets the criteria of her getting alamoney. The judge can access that as well. And that is all up to him if the couple has not made a deal prior to court.

So the next time you watch TV and see some guy going wacko to a judge.

I know I hear of wild stuff being ruled in court but I think this takes the cake.

Can you say justice reform?
    I think this also gives great insight into the Federal judges before the senate right now.
    These judges have WAY too power.

Anyway I am sure like was mentioned, many states are different. But something tells me they all have something along these lines.

Outside the child support, I think this is a violation of a mans rights.

6-KINGS

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

And you would think that Bush would have fixed that when he was Governor...but NOOOOOOOO! That would have probably been an issue in his candidacy for President...just goes to show!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

6-KINGS Guest

You lived here Cajun, you know the Gov of Texas has like zero power.
    Plus that is such a hot button issue.
    Stand for a man's rights in divorce and well you must hate woman and babies.
    Plus to quote Del "you make the baby Jesus cry"

6-kings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast