VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

JP Morgan Chase buys Bear Stearns

Bear Stearns stock was trading at $117/share a little over a year ago...they were just bought out for $2/share.

[size=13pt]Bear Throws In The Towel
    [/size]

Elizabeth Moyer and Mitchell Martin
    03.16.08, 10:35 PM ET

Investors around the world are waking up to a disquieting series of events on Monday, following an astonishing weekend of activity in the United States. Bear Stearns will be bought for a song by JPMorgan Chase, a result of its mortgage-related problems, and the Federal Reserve undertook a rare Sunday interest-rate cut.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

Re: JP Morgan Chase buys Bear Stearns

This was the deal of the century. Bargain basement price and the Fed isn't even going to make JP Morgan/Chase pick up the lion's share of Bear Stearns' ridiculously out of control debts.

On the plus side, apparently this keeps our already precarious economic situation from descending into utter collapse. Yet.

Good times.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Sure glad I didn't cash out all the equity in my house and get one of those ARM loans.

Lots of people losing thier houses down here now as they try to refinance thier houses that aren't worth what they have in them.

Very sad.
    :'(
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Sure glad I didn't cash out all the equity in my house and get one of those ARM loans.

Lots of people losing thier houses down here now as they try to refinance thier houses that aren't worth what they have in them.

Very sad.
    I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who refinanced but didn't bother to read the fine-print and now want the government to bail them out of their stupidity.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

What is sad is that this will effect all of us. It will be a rough day in the markets, already is. Your and my retirement accounts will take a big hit.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

[size=13pt]Gallows humor, realtor greet Bear's stunned staff[/size]

By Kristina Cooke
    1 hour, 21 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Shocked Bear Stearns (BSC.N) employees trudged into work Monday morning desperately seeking clarity on their futures.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Very sad.
    I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who refinanced but didn't bother to read the fine-print and now want the government to bail them out of their stupidity.

=Z=
    Stupid, they are the smart ones. The dumb ones lived with in their means and bought a house they could afford, they will not be getting any aid at all.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Very sad.

=Z=
    Stupid, they are the smart ones. The dumb ones lived with in their means and bought a house they could afford, they will not be getting any aid at all.
    Time is your aid!

The sad part is that some people will let their homes be foreclosed just because they are in a house that has become less than what the loan amount was originally.
    The house will appreciate again.

Bears was a sacrificial lamb.
    Other companies that are in a similar position will now be able to be helped by the govt.
    That is the difference between Friday and Monday.