Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Jay Mariotti resigns from Chicago Sun-Times

[size=12pt]Columnist bemoans sports journalism now 'a Web site business'[/size]

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-27-mariotti-jayaug27,0,609457.story

Jay Mariotti, the opinionated and polarizing sports columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times, has resigned after 17 years with the paper, he told the Tribune on Tuesday night.

Just back from Beijing, where he covered the Olympics, Mariotti said in a phone interview that he decided to quit after it became clear while in China that sports journalism had become "entirely a Web site business. There were not many newspapers there." He added that most of the journalists covering the Games were "there writing for Web sites."

Mariotti, whose public battles with fellow staffers, team owners, managers, coaches and rival columnists are legendary, didn't disclose any specific plans except to say he will continue doing his regular stint on ESPN's "Around the Horn."

He said he "is talking with a lot of Web sites" and added that the future of his business "sadly is not in newspapers."
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Re: Jay Mariotti resigns from Chicago Sun-Times

That's too bad. I unfortunately have to agree that the future of news is the Internet. It's a shame too - one of my greatest pleasures in life is sitting on my love seat on Sunday, reading the newspaper.
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

His great grandfather went through the same agonizing decision when he finally gave up and traded the horse and buggy for that damned automobile they came out with.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I kindof like Mariotti.
    Don't get to read his stuff much anymore, however, I used to work with a guy who got the ST's and I thought his articles were very insightfull.

You won't see this come out of me very often, however, he was a true journalist who could actual come up with a unique thought of his own.

Maybe he will go write for SI.
    I will re-subscribe if he does.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    His great grandfather went through the same agonizing decision when he finally gave up and traded the horse and buggy for that damned automobile they came out with.
    Oooh.
    Nice analogy.

I like Mariotti when he is on Around the Horn.
    Don't read his columns much though.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Although I don't care for his blush wearin ass he is very smart and insightful. It is sad that the newspaper is becomin obsolete. However that does save paper!

DPep11 is offline Asst. Coach

Good, I'm sick of reading his crap in the newspaper. He puts out a good story every once in awhile but other than that he flip flops more in his articles than a fish stuck on land.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"PhatmanPat94" wrote:
    Good, I'm sick of reading his crap in the newspaper. He puts out a good story every once in awhile but other than that he flip flops more in his articles than a fish stuck on land.
    . This is true. He does it on around the horn a lot too

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

im not a real big fan of him on PTI, but he seems like a good guy and knows his shit. It just shows you that times are a changin'

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"dcboardr41" wrote:
    im not a real big fan of him on PTI, but he seems like a good guy and knows his pooh. It just shows you that times are a changin'
    Yet they still keep around a know-nothing non-funny hack like Kornholer.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast