Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: IPods

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Re: IPods

Honeslty dude, do not buy an ipod.
    Ipods are only popular because of marketing and because they look stylish.

Here are some cons to Ipods:

-average audio quality
    -inflated prices for what they offer
    -itunes
    -battery life isn't that great

I bought a Creative Zen 32GB player.
    It was expensive (330 dollars) because it's flash memory (not hard drive), but it's better because there are no moving parts so it uses less battery and is less likely to break.
    The Creative Zen is great, if the 32GB is too expensive the 16GB is only 220 I think, but they all come with SD memory slots if you want to add to it.

The screen is great, it's small and lightweight (good for working out), the sound quality is much better than ipods (really noticeable if you have good headphones), better battery life.

The main reason I didn't want an ipod is because of itunes.
    I HATE that proprietary software crap.
    With the creative player, I just drag and drop music files from my computer onto my player.
    Creative products support a wider range of file formats than ipods too.
    If you want more of a video player than a music player, go with the Archos like V4L suggested, though it is probably too bulky to go running with or something.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

-average audio quality
    -itunes

It was expensive (330 dollars) because it's flash memory (not hard drive), but it's better because there are no moving parts so it uses less battery and is less likely to break.
    The Creative Zen is great, if the 32GB is too expensive the 16GB is only 220 I think, but they all come with SD memory slots if you want to add to it.

The screen is great, it's small and lightweight (good for working out), the sound quality is much better than ipods (really noticeable if you have good headphones), better battery life.

With the creative player, I just drag and drop music files from my computer onto my player.
    If you want more of a video player than a music player, go with the Archos like V4L suggested, though it is probably too bulky to go running with or something.
    Unfortunately, all my songs are already on iTunes though. I really don't want to reload all of my CDs either.

Thanks Josdin

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

-average audio quality
    -itunes

Creative rocks...I have a 30GB Zen Vision M, and I bought one for each of my daughters. Very easy to transfer all media, accepts more video formats and it's much more flexible than Apple (which as you mention is too proprietary). I would highly recommend Creative products. I use mine every day (many different podcasts) and have never had a problem with it. I hate iTunes.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

Don't get a Zune... my brother had one and returned it the next day, the iPod is just so much easier to use. And as for the sound quality in an ipod being worse, it just isn't true.. all you need to do is go into preferences in your itunes and set all the music to high def or something like that. My music sounds great, obviously you aren't going to get the same sound as a stereo or record player (the new record players kick ass, i have one and love it.)

Really it is just personal preference, the ipod touch is really cool. but again personal preference.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

-average audio quality
    -itunes

I just have to interject here... iTunes used to be a client of mine, and they actually started selling License-Free music last year... not to mention selling over 75% of all music sold over the internet.

I mean, you can hate them for being a corporate giant, but no one can match their music library, ease of use, and compatibility with both Macs and PCs.

Also... what moving parts do iPods have?

Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"erik5032" wrote:
    Don't get a Zune... my brother had one and returned it the next day, the iPod is just so much easier to use. And as for the sound quality in an ipod being worse, it just isn't true.. all you need to do is go into preferences in your itunes and set all the music to high def or something like that. My music sounds great, obviously you aren't going to get the same sound as a stereo or record player (the new record players kick ass, i have one and love it.)

Really it is just personal preference, the ipod touch is really cool. but again personal preference.
    It's HiFi, but yes, you are right.

I think someone just doesn't like Apple.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Whatever you get make sure it's flash memory, much less likely to break. The old ones with the hard drive inside are almost guaranteed to break. Cell phone music players seem like the wave of the future to me, no need to carry more than one device. Also look on Ebay, you might be able to save some cash on an older model that does everything you want(be carefully buying used ones as you likely won't have any type of warranty.
    Personally I haven't bought one, just don't listen to music by myself that much, except in the car and I have a radio and cd player. Would be nice for camping trips though.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

I don't like IPods. I think MP3 players are more user friendly. Zune is hot right now.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"erik5032" wrote:
    Don't get a Zune... my brother had one and returned it the next day, the iPod is just so much easier to use. And as for the sound quality in an ipod being worse, it just isn't true.. all you need to do is go into preferences in your itunes and set all the music to high def or something like that. My music sounds great, obviously you aren't going to get the same sound as a stereo or record player (the new record players kick jiggly butt, i have one and love it.)

Seriously dude, it is true, all you need to do is compare products side by side and/or read a comparative review.
    Look on Cnet, they do good reviews of electronics.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I have always had iPods.
    I just upgraded my wife to the iPod touch, and we both love it.
    Plus as a developer I like the fact that I can develop and host my own applications on it.

I also don't necessarily agree with the sound quality being worse than other mp3 players.
    If it is, it is such a small difference that it is not noticeable to the normal human ear IMHO.

I think that erik is right, a lot of it is personal preference.
    Supporters of one will always find faults in the other.
    Much like the PC vs Mac.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast