COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Intelligence Court Rules Wiretapping Power Legal

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/16/washington/16fisa.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss
    A federal intelligence court, in a rare public opinion, issued a major ruling validating the power of the president and Congress to wiretap international phone calls and intercept e-mail messages without a specific court order, even when Americans’ private communications may be involved.

The court decision, made in August 2008 by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court of Review, came in an unclassified, redacted form.

The decision marks the first time since the disclosure of the National Security Agency’s warrantless eavesdropping program three years ago that an appellate court has addressed the constitutionality of the federal government’s wiretapping powers. In validating the government’s wide authority to collect foreign intelligence, it may offer legal credence to the Bush administration’s repeated assertions that the president has the power to act without specific court approval in ordering national security eavesdropping that may involve Americans.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Intelligence Court Rules Wiretapping Power Legal

IMHO opinion, the only ones who would really care about being listened to on your phone are the ones who are doing something they shouldn't.

Go ahead, listen to me, not gonna hear anything shocking other than some stuff I talk to ole Wildwoman about.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Hmmm, I don't believe I could express my opinion on this subject without violating the rules of the site.

All I'll say is that fear, or fabricated fear can really reduce public and media outcry, giving the government leeway, on issues of personal freedoms, privacy, and what the government can and can not do whether or not it violates domestic or international law.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Mr" wrote:
    Hmmm, I don't believe I could express my opinion on this subject without violating the rules of the site.

All I'll say is that fear, or fabricated fear can really reduce public and media outcry, giving the government leeway, on issues of personal freedoms, privacy, and what the government can and can not do whether or not it violates domestic or international law.
    Go ahead.
    Whats the worst that can happen.
    Get ignored by a couple more chuckleheads?
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler

This thread is gonna get locked.
    Unlike some things that sort of slowly undermine the constitution, the Patriot Act doesn't even waste time with foreplay and just blatantly ignores the Constitution altogether.