BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Ind. Couple Charged After Detaining Man

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. - Two people who helped place a man under citizen's arrest when he strayed onto the wrong property found themselves in jail.

Michigan City police received a call Sunday night from a man who said he had been detained by four people while he was trying to find a friend's house. The man told police he was grabbed by two men and told to quit resisting, as he was under arrest. The man said he complied because he thought they were police officers.

Two women then came out of a nearby house and handcuffed the man, although he tried to explain he was just visiting a friend and had taken the wrong staircase, he told police.

The group took the handcuffed man to his friend's house, and released him when the friend vouched for him.

After receiving the report, police contacted Joel and Claudette St. Germain, who acknowledged handcuffing the man. Joel St. Germain told police he has had problems in the past with people stealing things from his lawn. He told officers he didn't know it was wrong to handcuff a man he didn't recognize in his yard.

The St. Germains, who were being held Monday at the LaPorte County Jail, were arrested and charged with criminal confinement, a Class D felony punishable by up to three years in prison and a $10,000 fine, and battery, a Class A misdemeanor which carries a maximum penalty of a year in jail and a fine up to $5,000.

The other two people accused of confining the man were not identified.

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2006/07/10/ap/strange/d8ipe5404.txt

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Ind. Couple Charged After Detaining Man

He's lucky he was in IN, and not Kentucky. He probably would have been shot on sight and buried in the back yard under the corn crop. No one would have ever known.... trust me, i know muhahahaha
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

"Braddock" wrote:
    He's lucky he was in IN, and not Kentucky. He probably would have been shot on sight and buried in the back yard under the corn crop. No one would have ever known.... trust me, i know muhahahaha
    :shock: hold on a second! are you saying what i think you're saying :???:
    this seems miiiighty suspicious (did I spell "suspicious" right?)
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"farvathevikinglover" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:
    even if you didn't spell it right, I'm not allowed to point that out... we're discussin this in the "Mad as Hell" post.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

"Braddock" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:
    shock hold on a second! are you saying what i think you're saying ???
    even if you didn't spell it right, I'm not allowed to point that out... we're discussin this in the "Mad as Hell" post.
    oh yeah that's right. But what if someone asks if they spelled it right? Is it OK then? Hold on, never mind. I'll take it to the "Mad as Hell" post.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

"Braddock" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:
    That's okay, at least he was concerned...yes it's spelled correctly. :lol:

They wouldn't have been in trouble if they had just called the police instead of handcuffing him. That was the part that got them in trouble. Dumb a$$es :lol:
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

boognish is offline Coordinator

What do you want to bet that the trespasser was black and the people who detained him were white? You can't just handcuff and detain people who stumble onto your property. I wonder if it ever crossed their mind to just ask the guy what he was doing there? They probably could have worked it out relatively quickly, if his friend lived nearby. What a bunch of yahoos :roll:
    I am a dipshit!!!