Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

If you are from Alaska, then your Senator is an idiot.

http://blog.wired.com/27BStroke6/?entry_id=1512499

Sen Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) is a member of the Senate Commerce Committee, which currently remains deadlocked over inserting an amendment into a telecommunications bill that deals with Internet Providers and Voice Over IP (VOIP) technology.

Now, I honestly don't expect everyone to know the basics of the internet. But if you are a voting member of a rather important congressional committee, you should at least take the time to learn enough to not make yourself look like a jackass.

Below is an excerpt of his explanation about why he voted against the amendment.

"Ted Stevens" wrote:
    I just the other day got, an internet was sent by my staff at 10 o'clock in the morning on Friday and I just got it yesterday. Why? Because it got tangled up with all these things going on the internet commercially...

We aren't earning anything by going on that internet. Now I'm not saying you have to or you want to discriminate against those people...

They want to deliver vast amounts of information over the internet. And again, the internet is not something you just dump something on. It's not a truck.

It's a series of tubes.

And if you don't understand those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and its going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material.
    Maybe I find this particularly appalling because I am a software engineer. I liken this to someone voting against an amendment dealing with the automotive industry, and then going on record saying "It is all just a bunch of ropes and pulleys anyway. You see, there is this little hamster running on a wheel..."
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: If you are from Alaska, then your Senator is an idiot.

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    http://blog.wired.com/27BStroke6/?entry_id=1512499

Sen Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) is a member of the Senate Commerce Committee, which currently remains deadlocked over inserting an amendment into a telecommunications bill that deals with Internet Providers and Voice Over IP (VOIP) technology.

Now, I honestly don't expect everyone to know the basics of the internet. But if you are a voting member of a rather important congressional committee, you should at least take the time to learn enough to not make yourself look like a j~~~~~~s.

Below is an excerpt of his explanation about why he voted against the amendment.

"Ted Stevens" wrote:
    I just the other day got, an internet was sent by my staff at 10 o'clock in the morning on Friday and I just got it yesterday. Why? Because it got tangled up with all these things going on the internet commercially...

We aren't earning anything by going on that internet. Now I'm not saying you have to or you want to discriminate against those people...

They want to deliver vast amounts of information over the internet. And again, the internet is not something you just dump something on. It's not a truck.

It's a series of tubes.

And if you don't understand those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and its going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material.
    Maybe I find this particularly appalling because I am a software engineer. I liken this to someone voting against an amendment dealing with the automotive industry, and then going on record saying "It is all just a bunch of ropes and pulleys anyway. You see, there is this little hamster running on a wheel..."
    "It's all ball bearings these days!" - Fletch

Ted Stevens is typical of the doofi we put into Congress. Politicos who rely heavily on staff to TELL them how to vote (based on who's given them the most money, rather than what's actually best for their constituents).

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

the net neutrality issue is B.S

the telecom's were given billions to make the states fiberReady and instead they pocketed most of it, and now they want MORE $$$ cause what? google is making more money then they are?

1. Companies that provide internet services do pay for their bandwidth!!!
    2. Who's to say that cause person x should receive his services from the net slower because the isp/telecom deems that service company as a bandwidth hog??
    3. the big net companies aren't using the bandwidth.. the USERS ARE!!!

the best is this will only effect the states! so eu.. be prepared for lots of service companies to come to isp's here!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"digital420" wrote:
    the net neutrality issue is B.S

the telecom's were given billions to make the states fiberReady and instead they pocketed most of it, and now they want MORE $$$ cause what? google is making more money then they are?

1. Companies that provide internet services do pay for their bandwidth!!!
    2. Who's to say that cause person x should receive his services from the net slower because the isp/telecom deems that service company as a bandwidth hog??
    3. the big net companies aren't using the bandwidth.. the USERS ARE!!!

the best is this will only effect the states! so eu.. be prepared for lots of service companies to come to isp's here!!

DiGiTaL
    That is the type of response I would expect from a senator on the committee. Even if I don't 100% agree with Digital's opinion on the net nutrality issue, at least I can tell that he would be able to make an informed decision about it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

You mean to tell me that the internet is not an underground network of special tubes? Wow.

Del Rio Guest

It's Alaska

What the hell does he care about the internet for.

If I lived in Alaska I think I would be more worried about my senators knowledge of keeping moose out of my garden rather then his vast knowledge of the internet.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    :sign5:

...and when you give him a shock (when you press on the accelerator) he runs faster, thus making the car go faster...

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

Net Neautrality is one issue that my party is on the wrong side of. There is no reason to give the big telecommunication companies basically a monopoly on something as widespread as the internet. It would be a sad to if a company dictating how we use the net.

[color=red]

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Does Al Gore still think he invented the internet?

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    Does Al Gore still think he invented the internet?
    I thought he invented pants?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast