shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Identity theft - BEWARE!!!

Hearing Del's story reminds me of my own that happened a few years ago.

Rant ON//

My wife and I were getting high-speed cable internet access in my computer room, and I took 1/2 day off of work to wait for the guy/guys from Time Warner Cable. Turned out to be a couple of young kids from a contractor working for Time Warner. Anyway, they were no older than 19 of 20 I would guess - two of them. I'm at home by myself, so it's really hard to be in two places at once (watching them both). So, I go downstairs with the one that hooks me up outside. They're done in, oh, about 15-20 minutes. The one that was working upstairs in my computer room is the lead, and he's starting to show me how it works, how the modem is hooked up, setting it up, etc. But, he's kinda flying through everything - says he's really busy that day and I should be able to figure the rest out myself. I figure, yeah, I'm pretty computer-savvy, I can handle it. So, I follow them both downstairs, but I'm a little suspiscious of the way the one upstairs was acting, but blow it off.

Here's where it gets interesting: about 4 days later, I'm calling my bank automated line, checking the balance, and what I hear stops me in my tracks - my balance is -$200 and some dollars!!!!! I'm like, WTF!?!?!? So, I call my bank, and they're getting checks for $30 here, $40 there, ALL FAST FOOD JOINTS!!!

The liitle b@stards stole a blank book of checks right off the shelf in my computer room!! They wrote a total of about 20 checks for over $700 on my account, all but ONE (that one was for a local hardware store for over $400) for fast food places!!! And the little fokkers got away with it too, and here's why:

I tried pursuing it with Time Warner Cable, but their "Director of Security" said that since I didn't actually SEE them take it, I had no proof. I even called the contractor, and they wouldn't do a thing either! The person who accepted the check (the owner) at the hardware store didn't want to "get involved", EVEN THOUGH she told me she could identify exactly who it was that bought the tools with that check! Needless to say, I was extremely grateful to my bank (Props to local TCF), because they didn't charge me a penny for the overdrafts and paid every check those little fokkers wrote. Also, the Shakopee, MN police department is pretty worthless - they took a statement and that's about it. Shiitheads.

Moral of the story? Several. One, don't let ANYONE get alone in your house no matter WHO they represent; two, keep checks, cash, any sort of valuable well-hidden in your home; three, don't trust (or do business with) Time Warner Cable if you can help it (I can't), and; four, the criminals have all the rights in this country, and there's not a DAMN thing the rest of us can do about it.

//Rant OFF

Thanks for listening to me biatch!!!
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Identity theft - BEWARE!!!

yah it's creepy with all the stuff going on. just one question how were the checks accepted without the proper signature and i.d?

Thanks Josdin

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Apparently, they weren't... :roll:
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

that's pretty lame shock. i'm sorry to hear about that.

Thanks Josdin

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Shock, I am sorry to hear that!

I know how frustrating it is dealing with that crap. Some kids broke into my truck, stole my cell phone and took 5 checks from the back of my check book (I did not notice for a week). They wrote checks for small amounts, but what a pain in the a$$!

I had my checks switched so that they did not have my drivers lisc #, so businesses have to check my ID when I write a check.

Also on the back of your credit cards do not sign your name, put check ID in that little box. If some one steals your card they will have to show ID if the store clerk checks. I always bitch at the store clerks if they do not check.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Prophet Guest

Most credit cards have a free option where you can get your mug shot on your credit card. Just call and ask them for the form and send in your mug and it makes the credit card useless for anyone else.

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

I'd have been suspicious when there were 2 people to hook up the cable. I've had cable and cable internet hooked up a few different times, and it's always one guy, whether he's a contractor or a cable company employee.

Thank goodness for your bank, but those guys shouldn't be able to get away with it like that. That's a bunch of BS! Maybe you should hire a bounty hunter.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

C-PepNSalt is offline Pro-Bowler

Yup, always one person. I'm suspicious of everyone...that really sucks!
    Get 6-kings to put a hit on them
    "Johnson, we will keep on beating them until morale improves."

TARKenton is offline Asst. Coach

What the hell kind of business allows for check writing without a valid picture id? Shame on the hardware store and the restraunts. im sure it wouldnt be that hard to get there names, find and deal with them yourself.
    ...Rodgers had to hold on the ball longer, giving players like Jared "I am completely insane and will literally eat your children" Allen time to sack Rodgers again.And again. And again. Actually I think Rodgers may have nightmares about Jared Allen the rest of the year.