Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

I want outta here!

Corey Dillon wanted out of Cincy. TO wanted out of SF and Philly. Shaq wanted out of LA. Manny Ramirez wants out of Boston, and now Miguel Tejada wants out of Baltimore.

Is anybody getting tired of these athletes complaining about their franchises and trying to dictate where they go? Or do you think they have every right to try and get on a winning team, since pro sports is still, after all, a business, and it is their career?
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: I want outta here!

It seems selfish if you think about the money they are making, but if you signed on at a job and you didn't like the management or you and the others that work around you don't get along, you wouldn't want to stay at that job if you had opportunities elsewhere.

They sign multi year contracts, that is a huge commitment.

I think it is hard for the average Joe (or Snow) to comprehend it. We just think that they are selfish because if we were given that much money, we would be overjoyed cause most of never expect to make that much money. Once you are at that pay level, you tend to see it as normal and become more fussy.

BTW, it does get tiresome, especially when it is your team that someone wants to leave. But as Sprewell said, "I got to feed my family."

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

In european soccer where there are no salary caps or drafts, all the good players eventually go to the "big" teams where they can get more money and trophys. What makes the NFL fairer is the goal being a level playing field between the teams. If players start to dictate where they want to go you are heading in the same direction, that being the same teams winning every year. I mean if you had said 15 years ago the 49ers would be struggling and the Bucs would win the big one I would have laughed at you, that is what the NFL has to keep hold of the old cliche "any given Sunday"

Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

Its complicated, as much as i hate the talk I can understand it, but personally I think its stupid, someone takes the chance to sign a deal with an organiztion, it should be played out, but in their defense I can always go into my job and say shove it too. I guess sometimes I wonder if players shouldn't be allowed the same deal.

Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

That's cool.. It doesn't really bother me..

Check out the new sig!!!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I don't like it, but it's the nature of the beast at this point.

faninphx is offline Starter

I think NFL players have the right to go wherever pays them the most/best opportunity professionally.

With that being said, I would like to see just a LITTLE more loyalty. I'm very sick of players having one (1) "breakout" year and assuming they deserve a pay raise. Little do they realize there are many factors that equate to them having a "breakout" year after three or four mediocre years. Many assume they were blessed overnight with incredible talent.

TO's situation is retarded. He goes through two teams in less than a year and signs a contract w/ the Eagles knowing exactly how much he is worth. In his particular situation I would say you made your bed now lay in it.

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

They (players) have the right to go anywhere they want, and to ask for any amount they feel they deserve, once the contracts that they asked for and sometimes demanded are up.

I've heard the arguement that Football is still a buisness and like every other buisness an individual has the right to quit, just like your employer has the right to fire you. Well, no other buisness gives it's employees a guaranteed length of employment and a mutually agreed upon salary with money up front.

If these players want out of a franchise at their discretion, they should put it in their contracts.

This may be a simplistic way of looking at it, but I think it makes sense.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"ltrey33" wrote:
    I don't like it, but it's the nature of the beast at this point.
    What? The NFL players or Vikez's sig?

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

I thought that same thing. I assume that he meant the topic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast