Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frostbite is offline Coach

I want to know about Ice Fishing?

One of my past times out here is fishing in the Delta and in our local river system. Salmon, Steelhead and Stipped Bass are the main targets. Some Trout fishing as well.

I would like to know what the best time of year is on Average....The basic proceedure...what is used for bait...how you keep yourself from falling through the Ice...The type of fish you catch and so forth.

I'd like to try this some winter when I go back to the North Eastern U.S. or Canada.

Thanks in advance for your information

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: I want to know about Ice Fishing?

Wow, that is something I haven't done for alot of years.

a. Need to make sure you get your house right over/on the ledge next to a drop off.
    If memory serves about 8-12' of water.

b. We used to use sliced potatoes or egg shells to break up/show the bottom/depth perception.

c.
    When you spear one, don't let him get to the bottom unless he is really big.
    It will mess up the hole and you won't be able to see for a while.

d.
    I used to like to use sucker minnows in a harness for a decoy, however, my dad always made his own.
    He hated it when a snake pickeral would come in and kill the sucker minnow. Waste of money he said.
    ;D

f.
    Don't get the stove going to hot.
    Seems every time I did that and had to open the door a bit to adjust the temp, the big boy/girl would roll through.

g. Get your house off the lake before the ice gets to thin.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I think he's talking about "ice FISHING" Marrdro, not "SPEARING."
    Basically, ice fishing is a lot like regular fish -- a lot of waiting. Make sure the ice is thick enough to support your weight. Drill a hole in the ice with either an ice chisel or a gas or electric auger. Buy a short ice fishing rod (Somewhat like a regular one but shorter). Put on a hook, bait, drop the bait until it is a few inches off the bottom with a small bobber holding it up off the bottom, and WAIT!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

One of my fears is falling throught the ice. So I would never be able to do this.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

"marstc09" wrote:
    One of my fears is falling throught the ice. So I would never be able to do this.
    same here, I dont care how many times I've been on the ice, I'll never get over hearing the sound of the ice cracking while walking. Once my fears are behind me (as much as possible), I will say that having a vehicle (truck) on the ice, is the most fun I've had out there.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Basically, ice fishing is a lot like regular fish -- a lot of waiting. Make sure the ice is thick enough to support your weight. Drill a hole in the ice with either an ice chisel or a gas or electric auger. Buy a short ice fishing rod (Somewhat like a regular one but shorter). Put on a hook, bait, drop the bait until it is a few inches off the bottom with a small bobber holding it up off the bottom, and WAIT!
    Wow, first thing that came to mind was spearing.
    Much more fun than Ice Fishing. ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Frostbite is offline Coach

"Marrdro" wrote:

a. Need to make sure you get your house right over/on the ledge next to a drop off.

b. We used to use sliced potatoes or egg shells to break up/show the bottom/depth perception.

c.
    d.
    I used to like to use sucker minnows in a harness for a decoy, however, my dad always made his own.
    He hated it when a snake pickeral would come in and kill the sucker minnow. Waste of money he said.

;D

f.
    Seems every time I did that and had to open the door a bit to adjust the temp, the big boy/girl would roll through.

It's Legal there to "spear" fish???? That would draw a huge fine quickly out here unless I was an American Indian......But thanks for the Info Marrdro.....LMAO.

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

BadlandsVikings is online now Jersey Retired

Make sure you don't cook all the ice at once or you will drown.

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Wow, first thing that came to mind was spearing.

Much more fun than Ice Fishing. ;D
    Spearing is much more fun than ice fishing.
    Both entail a lot of waiting and drinking beer.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Frostbite" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

c.
    d.
    ;D

f.

It's Legal there to "spear" fish???? That would draw a huge fine quickly out here unless I was an American Indian......But thanks for the Info Marrdro.....LMAO.

Cheers!
    You can spear rough fish like carp and also Northern Pike on the ice. You cannot use artificial light to attract them and the fishing house is a "Dark house" with no windows. I used to do it all of the time. My dad and brothers still do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast