Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    zimtwister is offline Coach

i have been shocked!

i was working on a circ. pump yesterday and was certain the power was off. i was pulling on the hot wire then for leverage grabbed the grounded conduit with my left hand and wow! the current went through my right hand thru my shoulders and chest to my left hand. it was a disgusting- sick feeling. my shoulders and pecs feel like they had a tetnus shot. today they are still achy. the tech. came in and said i was lucky to be alive! [sorry to disapoint some of you] the cells in the muscles have been damaged and need time to heal. i am back at work cause i'm a real american man. [or just stupid?]
    "you dream of beating me, its time you wake up and apologize."

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: i have been shocked!

Glad to see ur alright Zimmy! Be careful out there man!

6-KINGS Guest

"zimtwister" wrote:
    i was working on a circ. pump yesterday and was certain the power was off. i was pulling on the hot wire then for leverage grabbed the grounded conduit with my left hand and wow! the current went through my right hand thru my shoulders and chest to my left hand. it was a disgusting- sick feeling. my shoulders and pecs feel like they had a tetnus shot. today they are still achy. the tech. came in and said i was lucky to be alive! [sorry to disapoint some of you] the cells in the muscles have been damaged and need time to heal. i am back at work cause i'm a real american man. [or just stupid?]
    Wow!
    I hope you are ok.
    I salute you my fellow American.

Back in 1987 I was shocked with 220w 50amp.
    I was holding a printing plate in my hand.
    Where my fingers held the metal plate it burned clean through.
    So I feel your pain.

zimtwister is offline Coach

220 and 50 amp is big power.
    "you dream of beating me, its time you wake up and apologize."

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Phew , glad you got away with that one ..... always check yourself that power is off or fuses out. I've been caught like that a couple of times.... never trust anyone else when its your neck that's on the line !
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

6-KINGS Guest

"zimtwister" wrote:
    220 and 50 amp is big power.
    It knocked me out.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"6-KINGS" wrote:
    "zimtwister" wrote:
    Wow!
    I hope you are ok.

So I feel your pain.
    :shock:

Holy moly 6-Kings...I'm glad you made it out of that one alive!

I'm also glad to hear that you're alright Zim...electricity is nothing to mess around with, that's for sure!

A few years ago I was out on the golf course and it was a cloudy, cool summer day. I was walking the course instead of riding so my clubs were on the ground, sitting next to a tree. It wasn't raining or anything, just cloudy. I also didn't hear any thunder or see any lightning, so I didn't think I needed to get off the course, but I was wrong! My clubs were under the tree next to the cart path, and I walked out in the fairway to hit my ball and ZAP! a big ol crack of lightning nailed the tree. Needless to say I just about had a heart attack, I was a good 50 or 60 yards away which was good, but it still got the ol' adrenaline going. I dropped my sand wedge and ran for the clubhouse at that point. After the storm I went out to retrieve my clubs and everything was ruined. The bag was blown apart and all of my clubs were shot. Electricity is powerful stuff man!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"ltrey33" wrote:
    "6-KINGS" wrote:
    "zimtwister" wrote:
    Wow!
    I hope you are ok.

So I feel your pain.
    :shock:

Holy moly 6-Kings...I'm glad you made it out of that one alive!

I'm also glad to hear that you're alright Zim...electricity is nothing to mess around with, that's for sure!

A few years ago I was out on the golf course and it was a cloudy, cool summer day. I was walking the course instead of riding so my clubs were on the ground, sitting next to a tree. It wasn't raining or anything, just cloudy. I also didn't hear any thunder or see any lightning, so I didn't think I needed to get off the course, but I was wrong! My clubs were under the tree next to the cart path, and I walked out in the fairway to hit my ball and ZAP! a big ol crack of lightning nailed the tree. Needless to say I just about had a heart attack, I was a good 50 or 60 yards away which was good, but it still got the ol' adrenaline going. I dropped my sand wedge and ran for the clubhouse at that point. After the storm I went out to retrieve my clubs and everything was ruined. The bag was blown apart and all of my clubs were shot. Electricity is powerful stuff man!
    You should have just held a 1-iron aloft on the course...you would have been totally safe, because not even God can hit a 1-iron! :lol:

But seriously..zim you WERE lucky...especially since the current passed through your chest area...your heart could have stopped. My dad is an electrician and I have worked with him throughout the time that I was growing up. He always insisted that I work everything "cold" so that I wouldn't get hurt....but regardless of his heeding, I still took risks from time to time. Needless to say, I have gotten popped by 110 volts more times than I can remember...that drained feeling that follows is both scary and eye-opening. Consider yourself extremely lucky that your bout with that 220 line wasn't fatal...I knew a former electrical lineman that got both of his arms burned off as well as other physical ailments from getting hit...he had to use those hooks for hands for the rest of his life...it was a sad sight to see for sure! :sad:

I wish you a good recovery...and be more careful the next time!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Zim. I am an industrial electrician so I am farely familiar with high power applications. First of all, you were sure it was off? WTF?

Rule #1: Lock out equipment with your own lock. I knw you know this.

If in doubt, don't you have a wiggy or a tip tester. I carry both on my belt always.

How much power are we talking about here? 3 phase? You took the worst kind...the fatal beacuse the current goes right across the heart area.

You are lucky and need to be more careful. From one conduit layer to another...glad to see you are ok!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"6-KINGS" wrote:
    So I feel your pain.
    50 amps? Good god...you are very lucky!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast