Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

I feel very lucky.

I have only been in school here for a little more than a month, but I was lucky enough to get hired on to the newspaper (student newspaper of course) and start as a writer.

If that isn't cool enough, I just became the sports editor to top it all off!

It feels like a pretty big honor considering I can't play anything here with my shoulder the way it is. So now I feel pretty good about going to work every day.

I also just got my first two articles published, which looked pretty cool sitting there in the paper.

Not trying to brag or anything, just excited.

I could also paste the articles here in case anyone cared.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: I feel very lucky.

Congrats Baumy!
    We need more sports writers that have brains.
    Keep up the good work.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

congratz on your accomplishments

Thanks guys.

Just too bad I'm one of the proud few Viking fans down here. Would love to be able to write about them a little more.

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

im sure when you d get an article on the vikings youll be more than a little biased..ha ha
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"baumy300" wrote:
    I have only been in school here for a little more than a month, but I was lucky enough to get hired on to the newspaper (student newspaper of course) and start as a writer.

If that isn't cool enough, I just became the sports editor to top it all off!

It feels like a pretty big honor considering I can't play anything here with my shoulder the way it is. So now I feel pretty good about going to work every day.

I also just got my first two articles published, which looked pretty cool sitting there in the paper.

Not trying to brag or anything, just excited.

I could also paste the articles here in case anyone cared.
    Go ahead and paste'em!!!
    ;D
    We promise to be nice!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Since you feel lucky, you might as well toss some women into the mix too.

[img width=400 height=598]http://www.scipym.com/intermediate27/gs13.jpg[/img]
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Haha, nice nice.

Yeah the first two articles were on the Super Bowl and a little list I compiled in hopes of generating some of the locals interest in the paper.

I'll post them below.

Super Bowl XLI makes history before being played.

The Super Bowl has yet to be played, but is already in the record books. No, it’s not because a record touchdown pass, huge blowout, or impossible comeback. In fact, the game hasn’t even been played yet. So why should it go down in history already? What makes it so much different than any other year? Well, Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith do.
    Not only are they two very classy, professional, and intelligent coaches, but they are also the first two African American coaches to reach the super bowl. Just one of them taking his team to football’s promised land this year would have made history, but the both of them reaching it at the same time will make it a Super Bowl to be remembered for years to come. Plus, one of them is going to win, which means the Lombardi trophy will be given to an African American coach for the first time in NFL history.
    There are only a handful of African American head coaches in the NFL, so for two of them make it all the way to Super Bowl is a really big deal. Such events like this year’s Super Bowl are sure to open the door and allow other minorities a fair shake at a head coaching job, which is already happening.
    Mike Tomlin just accepted the head coaching job of the Pittsburgh Steelers to become the first African American head coach in their franchise history. More and more African American assistant coaches, college coaches, and former players (Mike Singletary) are getting better looks this year than in years past. Many could argue that classy and intelligent coaches such as Dungy and Smith took any questions or concerns about
    minority coaches and completely shredded them.
    Coaches such as Dungy and Smith go to show people that it’s the intelligence, dedication, and ability that should get you considered for a coaching job. Not skin color. This whole topic is bittersweet. It is both good and bad that this issue is such a big deal. The good is obviously the progress African American coaches are making in the NFL. The bad is how long it has taken for African Americans to get their chance at head coaching; something they should have received the chance to do as soon as the league started.
    No matter how you look at it, Dungy and Smith both have earned their place in the Super Bowl. Dungy has been around the league a little longer than Smith and has the reputation of running classy, respectable teams. Smith has been a head coach for only half as long as Dungy, but carries himself as a seasoned veteran. Both coaches are well respected by their own players and other teams players around the league as well. It’s not hard to see why when you think about it. Whether you are coaching an NFL team, managing a restaurant, or even running a fortune five hundred company, Dungy and Smiths qualities are crucial for success. Those qualities would be hard work and dedication to make sure things run smoother for the employees, care and compassion to earn the trust of your employees, and just pure class can only make a team or business better. No matter what numbers are shown on paper, or what record a team bears, it will be better if ran with class.
    We could learn a lot from Dungy and Smith, even outside the football field. Their character is what makes me happy to see them succeed. Not their skin color. They earned all the respect they have received from across the country, and it’s not hard to see why. Just look at where they are at today.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top ten greatest Hawaiin athletes.

10 - BJ Penn:
    Born in Hilo, BJ Penn has become a well known fighter in the world of mixed martial arts. He has a combined record of 10-4-1 in competition. Penn beat UFC juggernaut Matt Hughes in 2004 to come away with the UFC welterweight champion title.

9 - Kurt Gouveia:
    Gouveia has won on the football field at every level he played on. It started with

him winning a state championship at Waianae High, continued with him winning a national

Championship at BYU, and ended with him earning a Super Bowl ring while playing for

the Washington Redskins.

8 - Jesse Sapolu:

Sapolu started his pigskin career at Farrington High School and went on to play college ball at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. He later went on to become an All-Pro center with the San Francisco 49’ers and earned four Super Bowl rings while there.

7 - Sid Fernandez:
    Fernandez had an amazing Major League Baseball career that ended with him winning 114 games in 15 big league seasons. He was also a two-time MLB All Star in his career. Had the nickname “El Cid.”

6 - Mosi Tatupu:
    Played as a running back for the University of Southern California and also in the NFL for 14 years. Better known for his special teams skills on the field. Tatupu played so well on special teams that an NCAA award was named after him. Also has a son (Lofa) who is a linebacker for the Seattle Seahawks.

5 - Ford Konno:
    Konno won 6 NCAA swimming titles while at The Ohio State University. If that wasn’t enough, he went on to set two world records in different events. Best known for his record setting performances in the Olympics.

4 - Chad Rowan:
    Rowan became the first foreign champion in the 1,500 year old sport of sumo. Rowan was known as “Akebono” in Japan, where he dominated competition for many years. Also has been heavily involved with mixed martial arts.

3 - Russ Francis:
    Francis was a star quarterback with Kailua High School and set national high school javelin records his senior year there. Francis showed his athletic versatility by interesting the Kansas City Royals enough to draft him. It was in football however, where Francis shined. A three time pro bowler with the New England Patriots and San Francisco 49’ers, Francis also played a crucial role in winning a Super Bowl with the 49’ers.

2 - Clarence Crabbe:
    Crabbe has to be one of the greatest swimmers to ever step in a pool. Crabbe won a gold medal in the 1932 Olympics, but did not stop there. He went on to set 16 world records. Many of those records still stand today.

1 - Duke Kahanamoku:
    Many claim that Kahanamoku was the father of modern day surfing. Also an Olympian who won three gold medals and two silvers during three Olympic competitions. Kahanamoku has left behind a legacy that is well known across the world. Not only was Kahanamoku a great athlete, but he was a hero. Kahanamoku rescued eight men from a fishing vessel while surfing off the coast in Newport Beach. Kahanamoku is still largely remembered for his bravery, athleticism, and generosity to this day.

"Prophet" wrote:
    Since you feel lucky, you might as well toss some women into the mix too.

[img width=400 height=598]http://www.scipym.com/intermediate27/gs13.jpg[/img]
    Word on the street is that Cajun has this same outfit and wore to the last Mardi Gras celebration.
    Goes to show that lawyers DO have another side to them!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

That's cool man,

Maybe you'll move up from sports writer to editor.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast