Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: I could really use all your help now, as friends and PPO....

I smoked for about 40 years. Never a lot though. About a pack a day. I decided at 65 years of age I would quit when I retired. I "dipped" for a week or so and then finally gave that up and went to regular chewing gum.
    I think the thing to remember is that if you try and fail you are not a "failure." I quit several times, once for two years and kept starting again because to be real truthful I loved smoking.
    I've been off them now for over two years and I believe I am off them for good.
    If you fail, try it again a few months later and see if you can go even longer. Eventually, if you really want to quit you will. There's a lot of help out there. If you are really having problems tap into it.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

Re: I could really use all your help now, as friends and PPO

"DeathtoDenny" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    i have never smoked and never plan to, ever. i dont see why you cant just stop. like just dont do it any more. stop buying them. start with that. try that gum stuff or the patch. instead of smoking, do something else like reading a book or posting here even. whatever it takes. just dont do it anymore.
    Its insulting that you think its that easy. Nicotine is more addicting than heroin. If it were that easy, why would everyone struggle with it so much? I had tried to quit 4 times before, and it would only take one drunken cig to launch me back into it even 10 years after. Since you "don't see," just write "good luck" or something since you don't understand addiction...at all.
    easy there guy, not smoking is as simple as not smoking, just takes some will power. i think its more insulting that people fall back on the whole 'more addicting than heroin' remark or other addiction lines. people sell themselves short when they say that, anybody can beat it, its as simple as knowing you can do it, and not doing it.

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

i think once you finally decide YOU want to quit for YOURSELF is just takes will power like everybody has been saying. it's the whole mind over matter theory, the mind is a very powerful thing if you really want something and you put your mind to it you should suceed. i know nicotine is very addicting, so if i'm sounding like it's simple i know it's not. an addiction is a very serious thing, it feels like you can't operate properly without getting a fix.

Thanks Josdin

akvikefan89 is offline Star Spokesman

I don't know how well it works, but I had a highschool baseball coach who chewed seeds all the time when he quit smoking.

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

yah i've heard just holding an unlit cigarette in your mouth will kepe your mind occupied off of the nictotine fix. so along with chewing seeds, chewing gum i think anything to keep your mind off of it would help

Thanks Josdin

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

First of all to the people who have never had the habit the best thing to do is just say good luck like WBLVikebabe did. If you have never smoked you have NO idea how diificult it is to stop.

I picked up the awful habit about 8 years ago. I regret it every day. I used be a 2 pack a day smoker, I also have been trying to quit my friend. I have been going to hypnosis, acupunctire , and using the nicotrol inhalator. I have cut down to a pack a day which might not seem like much but for a person like me it is.

I also quit once before using Zyban.....you should do some research, Zyban is amazingly helpful. Keep me posted, I am your same age and I am trying to quit too. I have been frustrated with my progress, but it is progress nontheless. Good luck!!!!!!!!

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Ned,

Take it from me a 2 pack a day smoker. Ask your doctor for a prescription of Wellabutrin (spelling).

I was on the stuff for 3 months when I had pneumonia. It works great & really kills the craving. Better than the patch.

I was on it just to apease the doctor & at that time really didn't want to quit.

I plan on quiting in the near future & that's the route I'm taking. Our work is banning smoking on the premisis, even outdoors!

Several people at work have already quit using Wellabutrin. I'ts clinically used as an anti-depressent, but doctors have found it works wonders for aiding people in kicking the habit.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

CynicalVike is offline Starter

I smoked for over 25 years. 1+ packs/day. Quit 2 1/2 years ago, and haven't looked back since.

I used Zyban.

You take the pills for 10-14 days while you still smoke and then on a pre determained day, you quit cold turkey. You will continue on the pills for 30-90 days after that as needed. I took mine for about 45 after my quit day.

Go to your doctor and tell him you want to quit, and ask him about Zyban. It is very effective.
    I used to be indecisive, now I m not so sure!

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    Ned,

Take it from me a 2 pack a day smoker. Ask your docter for a prescription of Wellabutrin (spelling).

I was on the stuff for 3 months when I had pneumonia. It works great & really kills the craving. Better than the patch.

I was on it just to apease the doctor & at that time really didn't want to quit.

I plan on quiting in the near future & that's the route I'm taking. Our work is banning smoking on the premisis, even outdoors!

Several people at work have already quit using Wellabutrin. I'ts clinically used as an anti-depressent, but doctors have found it works wonders for aiding people in kicking the habit.
    Ned just so you know, Zyban is a form of wellbutrin. Zyban is just the brand name....just fyi

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

6-KINGS Guest

"thepacksux" wrote:
    "DeathtoDenny" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    i have never smoked and never plan to, ever. i dont see why you cant just stop. like just dont do it any more. stop buying them. start with that. try that gum stuff or the patch. instead of smoking, do something else like reading a book or posting here even. whatever it takes. just dont do it anymore.
    Its insulting that you think its that easy. Nicotine is more addicting than heroin. If it were that easy, why would everyone struggle with it so much? I had tried to quit 4 times before, and it would only take one drunken cig to launch me back into it even 10 years after. Since you "don't see," just write "good luck" or something since you don't understand addiction...at all.
    easy there guy, not smoking is as simple as not smoking, just takes some will power. i think its more insulting that people fall back on the whole 'more addicting than heroin' remark or other addiction lines. people sell themselves short when they say that, anybody can beat it, its as simple as knowing you can do it, and not doing it.
    Well I didn't know we had a Dr/Psychiatrist on the board.

Listen Ned, go to your Dr and talk to him.
    There are so many things out there to help break this MAJOR addiction.
    As for this "willpower" angle, that always comes from people who have never known true addiction.
    Minus being addicted to thinking they have the easy answers to major problems.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast