Thread: Hurricane Rita

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Hurricane Rita

Hurricane Rita Thoughts:

Perspective

I have never experienced a Hurricane myself. I have weathered a tropical storm which was just below a category 1 hurricane. I am originally from Minnesota and I know all about the tornados and other in climate weather happening related to the Midwest. I thought that I would just take a second to put it into perspective for those that do not live in a hurricane area.

First of all, unlike a Tornado, which you may have only a small warning before it happens, with a hurricane, you have days to prepare yourself. With today’s technology, you have more time to prepare. That is a good and bad thing. It is good because you can pack up and leave the Hurricane area. You can save your life. It is bad because you have all this time to sit and agonize over what will happen. I know it is only stuff but it is our stuff. It is stuff that we have accumulated and has become part of our everyday lives. Right now, I am sitting about 500 miles from home (Galveston) watching the Weather Channel for updates and hoping that the storm doesn’t hit Galveston directly. There is nothing I can do and I try not to worry about it but it is virtually impossible. Once again, unlike a tornado that spans a mile or two path, we are talking about hundreds of miles of heavy rainfall (7-30 inches) and depending on the category, winds of 74 mph to 155 mph and greater. Oh by the way, a hurricane may spawn many tornados once it hits land.

With this storm coming, for our safety, we were ordered to evacuate our homes from Galveston all the way up to the south side of Houston. Any homes that were in low lying areas and near the coastal waters, were part of this evacuation. This evacuation started Tues on a voluntary basis and on Wednesday it became a mandatory evacuation. It is possible that 1.7 million people fled the greater Houston area.

Where to all these evacuees go? Well, you have the choice of shelters, friends, family members and hotels. As of Wednesday, it was hard to find a hotel as far north as Dallas and as far west as San Antonio. Both of those major cities are about 3 hours from Houston. Knowing that I would not fair well in a hotel with tons of people, I chose to head to Oklahoma City where my brother and his family could house us until this blows through. Normally an 8 hour drive, took us 17.5 hours because of all the others on the road.

Most of us like to see ourselves as independent beings. But the fact is that we all have to rely on others at times. I can’t go home. I don’t know what I will have left when I go home. I thank my family for taking us in at this time.

In preparation for the storm, we could only take some of our most important possessions, only what we could fit in our car. No U-Hauls available in our city of Galveston, all gone. Even if there was, there was no time to really pack crap up. We took the important items from the lower level which will most likely be flooded to the upper level and we boarded the windows that didn’t have shutters on them.

At this point, this adventure has only been stressful and no serious side effects have been felt by my family. As I have said before, we have prepared for the worst and are hoping for the best or in this case, better. I will add to these memoirs by updating this when I get back to Galveston. That in itself will be another adventure, 1.7 million people all trying to get home and we have to go all the way through the 1.7 million.

Many of you are probably saying, why would someone choose to live there. Some live there by choice, others because of their current life events and others because that is all they know.

Please remember us down here on the coast. Also remember the people that live inland that will have to deal with the Rainfalls (20-30 inches) and the Tornados.

Re: Hurricane Rita

Thanks for all that have expressed concerns so far. I just wanted to post this as a reminder that sometime certain life events weigh heavily on peoples minds. Also, that in our day to day lives we don't realize how good we got it. As of Monday life was going great and now (temporarily) it is not so good.

Also, you don't really plan for things like this in your everyday lives and you don't think about the worst until it happens.

So maybe some of you in other coastal communities will remember to go get some of those Hurricane supplies or y'all in the north will start getting your winter survival kits back in your cars(little early), better sooner than later.

Prophet Guest

You're in my prayers. I know how devastating hurricanes and typhoons can be. Have been through quite a few, lost my home in one a decade back.

You make a good point about the warning coming in advance. It gives you time to contemplate about what is really important in life.

On a side note: our opponents this week are really more focused on the hurricane than the game, and I don't blame them. I sure hope there are no losers in our fan base that rip on the Saints fans like some Giants fans did regarding the hurricane. Talk about lack of class.

I too am from MN and I've lived in regions close (150-200 miles) to the ocean/gulf for over 4 years...hurricanes are so different than Midwest weather. All of Texas is a little crazy. Here in Bryan which is 100 miles northwest of Houston (looks like the brunt of Rita will miss us), the shelters and hotels are full...folks are sleeping in the parking lots of Wal-mart. It hurts a little to see that. I'm glad that you were able to get out...hopefully you're someplace better than your car.

It's weird things that strike me. I almost understand that there is no bottled water in the stores (almost), but gas stations running out of gas? No peanutbutter? And for the past 3 days, all the stores I've been to are out of D batteries (the size for radios & flashlights)? I know some of it is folks reacting to Katrina, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Just keep the folks in the path in your thought/prayers.

Don't go out and panic about the gas. Try and conserve if possible.

Just north of Galveston is the refineries of Texas City. It is a HUGE player in the scheme of gas production. It could impact gas prices in the SHORT term.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Wish you and your family the best snow!

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I hope everything goes well for you snow! Take care of yourself and your family!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Hey Snowin April, I'm glad you are out of harms way, and pray that all affected by Rita are safe and have shelter. The pannick that has spread through Central Texas has left the unprepared wanting, so ya'll heed Snow's advice and prepare ahead of time for weather in your region. Be safe and spare a thought for those who are in harms way.