shawn is offline Rookie

Hunting and being a redneck

I got on the topic of hunting in another post and wanted to know how many of you guys liked to hunt/fish and, even more importantly..........How many of you have ties to hunting /fishing in MN. If anyone wants some advice on hunting elk in Az., let me know!!!

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Hunting and being a redneck

I am a very avid hunter, especially with a bow. I have hunted around the US and taken elk, bear, mule deer, and whitetail deer. Right now I am scouting heavily for turkeys as turkey season opens Saturday. I'm just going out the door right now.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

I love playing "Big Game Hunter 2005" on my Xbox. Does that count?

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Lol great thread title.

Any of you rednecks(;D) turkey hunt? It's opening day here. Had one come in to the guy I was with, gobbling like crazy. Long story short it's still in the bush. Probably gonna go out
    again tonight.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Now you are barking up my tree..... ;D

Although I no longer reside in MN, I grew up hunting and fishing all over it.

Now I reside in VA and hunt and fish year round.

My season starts about Mid Jan through Mar when the big Stripers are running off the VA coast.

Middle of April through end of May I chase turkey with my Bow and shotgun.

Sometime in Mar I shift to Flounder, Tautog and Grey trout and head out to a few fresh water lakes for Crappie.

About May the Cobia come into the bay and I fish for them as well as Flounder and Spadefish which takes me into hungting season again.

In the fall, Bow, Blackpowder, and Dog season comes in which takes us into January and the cycle repeats itself.

I also squirrel and rabbit hunt if the weather is to nasty to fish.

Last year I whacked a nice doe (eaten material) with my blackpowder and took a nice 8pt with my shotgun.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"jessejames09" wrote:
    Lol great thread title.

Any of you rednecks(;D) turkey hunt? It's opening day here. Had one come in to the guy I was with, gobbling like crazy. Long story short it's still in the bush. Probably gonna go out
    again tonight.
    First year in a long time I am sitting on the bench for this one.
    Bumb elbow prohibits shooting the shotgun and I sure the hell can't get my bow back.

I should be able to get out with my shotgun at least the last two weekends of May (with the docs approval).
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:

My season starts about Mid Jan through Mar when the big Stripers are running off the VA coast.

Sometime in Mar I shift to Flounder, Tautog and Grey trout and head out to a few fresh water lakes for Crappie.

About May the Cobia come into the bay and I fish for them as well as Flounder and Spadefish which takes me into hungting season again.

In the fall, Bow, Blackpowder, and Dog season comes in which takes us into January and the cycle repeats itself.

Last year I whacked a nice doe (eaten material) with my blackpowder and took a nice 8pt with my shotgun.
    I've never tried a dog hunt or salt water fishing.

Hopefully I can get my first turkey this month sometime. Turkey hunting is hit and miss around here, they got re-introduced a while ago and i think the hunts been going on for 5 years or so. They're fun to talk to though.

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I've never tried a dog hunt or salt water fishing.

Hopefully I can get my first turkey this month sometime. Turkey hunting is hit and miss around here, they got re-introduced a while ago and i think the hunts been going on for 5 years or so. They're fun to talk to though.
    Depending on were you live/hunt in VA, it is almost impossible to hunt without dogs once the acorns/mast is gone.

Our deer move into the briar thickets (much the same way deer in MN move to the cedar swamps) which are nothing more than a cutover that is to thick to hunt.
    Some clubs use big hounds to flush the deer but my club uses Beagles as they are smaller (deer run slower) and don't eat as much (we keep 40-50 dogs year round at the club).

For the same reason deer are hard to see, turkey offer a challenge as well.
    Those suckers can see you way before you can see them in thick under brush.
    For your first bird I would recommend the following:

a.
    Try finding a open field that had corn on it last year.
    b.
    Set up a good blind that covers your movement.
    Again, those guys see really really really good.
    c.
    If possible, make sure the field has a few pine trees
    on the edges (preferably set back about 100 yards or so) as turkeys love to roost in them.

d. Look for places they have scratched/dusted in the field/road.
    Setup your blind about 2 yards or so away from the dusting spot.
    e. Go visit the field about a hour before dark. Park your vehicle and listen. Turkeys always gobble/talk before roosting.
    I like to bring a owl hoot to pinpoint them once they roost up. Turkeys hate owls, hawks, eagles and crows in that order.
    f.
    Get out there about a hour and a half before daylight as they wake up before dawn but don't fly down until after daylight.
    Goal is to be there before they wake up.
    g.
    I like to set up 2 to 3 decoys (hens with no gobbler) so that when the gobbler comes in he is looking at them and not at me.
    Again, they see really really really good.
    h.
    Never try to shoot one from the rear.
    Try to wait until he has his head sideways to you.
    A body shot will kill them but they will normally fly off and die and you won't find them.

Of course, double check your rules to make sure you can do the stuff I described.
    Here in VA it is illegal to shoot a turkey out of its roost but it doesn't say you can't hunt them once they fly down in the moring.