Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

HS Season starts and I go Ape s41t

Friday Sept 1st, the opening day of junior camp and my son got cut in the first 5 minutes.

Well today kind of sucked, at work we switched over to a new software format, the area I manage worked flawlessly, one of two out of a dozen that worked, so am I happy.
    Well after being choked a vikingbored.com dumping on ultra last night I was looking forward to my son hitting the field on the junior high school team in his last year before he hits the senior squad……..well the head coach sent him home before things started.

Flash back to last year, my boy was 14, coming off of 13 and wasn’t adjusting to well to HS, he was carrying a stellar C-, playing football and hockey and a teachers strike hit.
    Football was suspended but he continued with hockey.
    The strike lasted close to 3 weeks and was illegal blah…blah....blah but when school started he didn’t play football again.
    We didn’t know if the season picked up, never heard from the coach but in November I did hear on the news that the junior team at his school won the region. They played another game after the strike and went into playoffs.
    I asked him what the hell happened and he said he didn’t know and oh well.
    He had some problems keeping his grades up last year, finished his hockey season, some problems at home but this summer he has been great!
    He’s play hockey and football since he was 7, he also picked up lacrosse this year, he’s never been the BEST player but all his coaches have loved his effort and when he was involved in a draft the same coaches have grabbed him, or if they missed him they have called me to say they wanted him and will get him next year. Currently at 15 he is 6’ 3”.

I’ve helped coach and taken part in both my boys’ sports, but sadly I missed last years football do to his poor marks, making a point and also some scheduling problems.
    Now football is a big issue in our house, the oldest son could name every NFL and CFL team and division at the age of 3, my wife named him, but I got his brother, David (Palmer) Grant (Bud!!!) Bradley (Johnson).
    Wedding colors were….purple and gold and now I am not allowed to name a pet or paint a room.

Last week we got things started with a college preseason game.
    I have a nephew who is playing for the Calgary Dinos as a nose guard.
    Uncles, cousins, grandparents etc made it to the game and my son now has the fire to play worse the ever. Last year he want out for TE and ended up being a DE and O’guard, not as a starter but he played all the games he was there for.

Well at the first practice today the head coach took him and another kid, said they quite on the team and he wouldn’t have quitters on his team (I thought it was the school team).
    When he told the coach about his confusion with the strike and not knowing what was going on, the coach didn’t care, even his position coach said it wasn’t a big deal and he should play.

When I called home to see how things went with the first practice and I heard this I completely lost my mind!
    Just about hunted the coach done and……stop.
    Okay now what.
    Must hit….break… destroy…drink beer……stopped and visited school web site and printed the athletic code of conduct!
    In it states an athlete can be suspend for a year for ,drinking, drugs or a major felony for a year….and can have a hearing to protest this suspension.
    My boy missed the end of a strike season and his F’n coach couldn’t even call him to see what was up and now he’s banned.
    Minor suspension is 2 weeks and he gets to practice with the team.

Well I’ve talked to my son, told him he has had his problems (terrible teens) but this last 2 months he has matured and deserves far better than then how he was treated today!
    If he wants it to go after it and to ask for the 2 week suspension or we will request a board hearing or my dad will go WWE with a folding chair on your monkey a$$.
    My fear is the coach will run him into the ground if gets back on the team and I warned my son that could happen but to always bend but not break and go for it.

Tomorrow we go back to practice and I’ll keep my distance for his good and mine….or bail will be needed, just with the time I’ve spent coaching, hearing about VK4 LFE coaching and Ned taking the ref course,
    I love their scarifies for the kids and all the other coaches and officials out there thanks, but this guy going on a power trip!!!!! Burns my bacon!!!

I'm getting a beer and thanks for listening, hope tomorrow is better, it's a long weekend after all :

Prophet Guest

Re: HS Season starts and I go Ape s41t

Good luck to your son.
    He can turn it around.
    Michael Jordan was cut from the BB team as a young lad, if he wants it and works hard enough he can do it.
    Hope it all works out for him (and you don't end up in the Klink with Muggsy!).

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

not everyone is micheal jordan just because they get cut
    We're bringing purple back.

Prophet Guest

You don't have to be Michael Jordan just because you got cut.
    It's about attitude, striving for what you believe in, accomplishing goals, believing in yourself, giving it your best shot and not giving up.
    If you listened to the idiots in your life you will amount to nothing.

"gregair13" wrote:
    not everyone is micheal jordan just because they get cut
    He's no MJ but he also didn't run one step, one drill, wasn't in one huddle. head coach cut 2 kids before drills started. Both were on the team last year but didn't return after the teachers strike that stopped (suspended) the season.
    Positional line coach wanted him back and said it was no big deal missing the last games

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

That coach should be FIRED!!!
    What a CHUMP!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

One of his problems is attitude but this is how he works. He is big for his age, won't talk back to coach, due to respect. When he was cut he did put up a fight, he will argue with me but never a coach.

Last year in hockey he was crosschecked 3 times and knocked to the ice twice fighting for the puck in the corner.
    The center on his line dropped his gloves and went after the other player and my son never retaliated.

Last year I saw him hit a player by the boards, who went into 2 others on the other team and they looked like bowling pins flying.
    He got a penalty for that just for his size and quietly skated to the box for his 2 minutes.
    After the game I asked what was up with that and all he could say was I did know he was that light I hardly touched him.

I have seen him finish drills LAST in football just to do his technique perfect and the rest of the squad redo the drill again exempt him.

This is what has me burning he has a huge desire to please his coaches and win, he was turffed before the start.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Maybe you should "calmly" ask for a meeting with the coach.
    explain the situation - lack of communication, confusion, etc - and that your son didn't intentionally quit (Unless he really did - double check your son's story and tell him what you plan to do).
    If the coach wants to stand firm, you CAN go to the Athletic Director/Administrator over his head, but this won't be pretty if you have to do that.

If you can't get the coach to relent honestly, and do go over his head, make sure you keep an eye on what transpires later.
    i.e. make sure your son isn't singled out.
    Your boy doesn't seem the whiney type, so if HE thinks the coach is being blatantly unfair, maybe it's time to check.

Anyway, hopefully this will work itself out.

I find it odd, however, that everyone else knew that the season resumed.
    I'd double and triple check your son's story there -not that I'm calling him a liar, but it just seems....odd.

Good luck.

Caine

Well nothing is happening today, Carver is sick as a dog. He still wants to talk to his coach today but after he lost his breakfast I've sent him back to bed and told him he can deal with things tomorrow when he feels better.

Caine your right on the money, part of his problems last year adjusting to HS was he was terribly unorganized.
    Not as much as he would be lying as he was quit clueless at times and didn't try as hard as he should have in several areas of his year.
    This however is an area that he has really matured in the last 3-4 months.
    I am also very open to him getting a 2 week suspension (but would still get to practise) and explained to him that he does deserve that and that is in the conduct guide.
    The 1 year suspension in the guide is for drinking, drugs or a felony conviction, he doesn't deserve that.
    His position coach wants him back so if he gets back he should be fine, but I will keep and eye on things.

Great news….he’s back on the team!!!! 8)

I took him to practice early so he could talk to his coach and parked a half block away.
    Twenty minutes later my son came back and told me he’s back on the team, he has to sit out 2 more practices as punishment for the last two weeks he missed last year, coach admitted he was wrong and Carver thanked him.

I’m so happy he was able to work it out on his own and he stood up of himself.
    ;D ;D ;D ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast