Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39
  1. #21
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: How many of you guys and gals enjoy camping?

    "VikingNed" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Webby" wrote:
    I love camping!!

    Sleeping on the dirt under the stars is probably the most relaxing thing for me.
    Yeah right!

    You probably have a huge Winnebago with all the ammenities! :razz:

    I love it. I spent weeks at a time in the wilderness while in the Army. I was just talking to my boys about how we are going camping this summer and roughing it!
    I really like to rough it also ultra, but with my son, never really to far from help if needed.

    Usually, we load up the backpacks and bring the bear minimums...Throw all that in my 16' Jon Boat and head to a lake. Launch the boat and head out to a spot where no one can be seen, except maybe a boat going by now and then..

    We like to hike into the woulds, still using topo's and a compass, but this year I'm going to try the GPS...

    My son and I are both Rock hounds and I enjoy helping him collect different types of insects on our hikes. Later I open a nice book about insects I have and we try to find them together...Same with the Minerals and if lucky enough a few nice gems to be found in CT.

    Then of cours we have to put in some fishing time...I really enjoy trolling and just relaxing....Also live bait while anchored..

    This is also our main supply of lunches and dinners, we have fish fry's...

    I bring some ready to heat meals for backup......Fruit and freash water..Thats it...Oh ya, I bring marshmellows, hershey bar and gram crackers for David, he loves to make Shmores....(spelling off for sure)..


    But I love getting away from the city and all the everyday filth and odd balls I have to deal with on a somewhat regular basis...

    I know I'de love MN.....
    GPS?

    I would love to get a military map and use my compass skills that I perfected in the Army.

    I like to really rough it.

    :lol:

  2. #22
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    9,512

    Re: How many of you guys and gals enjoy camping?

    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "VikingNed" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Webby" wrote:
    I love camping!!

    Sleeping on the dirt under the stars is probably the most relaxing thing for me.
    Yeah right!

    You probably have a huge Winnebago with all the ammenities! :razz:

    I love it. I spent weeks at a time in the wilderness while in the Army. I was just talking to my boys about how we are going camping this summer and roughing it!
    I really like to rough it also ultra, but with my son, never really to far from help if needed.

    Usually, we load up the backpacks and bring the bear minimums...Throw all that in my 16' Jon Boat and head to a lake. Launch the boat and head out to a spot where no one can be seen, except maybe a boat going by now and then..

    We like to hike into the woulds, still using topo's and a compass, but this year I'm going to try the GPS...

    My son and I are both Rock hounds and I enjoy helping him collect different types of insects on our hikes. Later I open a nice book about insects I have and we try to find them together...Same with the Minerals and if lucky enough a few nice gems to be found in CT.

    Then of cours we have to put in some fishing time...I really enjoy trolling and just relaxing....Also live bait while anchored..

    This is also our main supply of lunches and dinners, we have fish fry's...

    I bring some ready to heat meals for backup......Fruit and freash water..Thats it...Oh ya, I bring marshmellows, hershey bar and gram crackers for David, he loves to make Shmores....(spelling off for sure)..


    But I love getting away from the city and all the everyday filth and odd balls I have to deal with on a somewhat regular basis...

    I know I'de love MN.....
    GPS?

    I would love to get a military map and use my compass skills that I perfected in the Army.

    I like to really rough it.

    :lol:
    I hear you Ultra,

    I still enjoy using Topo Maps and Compass myself. The only real reason I want to bring my GPS is for fishing. I can load my trolling patern into it, if I have some good catches on a certain run, I can bring back up the exact same run and re do the troll thru the hot spots of the lake or ocean.

    I still love the chopping and gathering of wood, digging a rain trench, all that fun stuff.

    When I was younger, I even thought of trying to pull a grizzley Adams life style. That was till I got my first look at a REAL indian women in northern Quebec outlands.....Not a nice site... :shock:

    I also, instead of using a compass, used to drop popcorn as I hiked to find my way out. I stoped this after being rescued 5 or 6 times..... :lol:


    I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

  3. #23
    BBQ Platypus's Avatar
    BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,027

    Re: How many of you guys and gals enjoy camping?

    Me. I like camping. Usually I just set up on top of a rooftop or something and prey on pathetic n00bs. w00t. :lol:


    Oh, wait. You mean like camping in the OUTDOORS! Well, as luck would have it, I like to do that, too. I usually go in a camper. I love just sitting by a campfire in the evening and staring at the sunset wherever I'm camping (usually Lake City) and thinking about how great life is.


    "This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

  4. #24
    2beersTommy's Avatar
    2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,762

    Re: How many of you guys and gals enjoy camping?

    "VikingNed" wrote:
    Check this site out, this is what I'm talking about, I'll be posting some pics this summer after one of my trips to the islands. Some of the islands you can actually reserve just for you and your family......Only one campsite on some of the islands... Others may have only 2, 3 , 4, or more....nothing but island and a dock to park your boat at....


    Lake George is a beautiful Lake, and the water is crystal clear....

    At the southern point, there is camping, resorts, lodges, motels, amusment parks, museaums, mini golf, reg. golf, diving, fishing swimming, horse back riding....you name it, even horse racing nearby, cowboy ang girl themed resorts W/ bull and bronco riding .....

    Great history also, Fort Ticondaroga. Great Hiking, gorges, cliffs ect...
    Truly one of the diamond regions of our great country..


    http://www.lakegeorge-vacations.com/lake_george_island_camping.htm
    I would have to agree Ned, growing up here in NY, and my father being a history buff on the French & Indian wars thru the American Revolution, we visited those sites on our way to vacation In the Vermont mountains. I believe one of the hikes we went on was to Rogers Rock overlooking lake George..Fort Ticonderoga was kinda ruined by the fact that there was a paper mill operation just up the lake..OMG did that smell like $hit lol, I never forget that ! Lake George also has its famous "sea monster" kinda like the Loch Ness over there in Scotland..only our version is called "Champ"..thats if you believe that kind of non sense..Hey Ned, if ya like fishing, come on over to try the Salmon fishing when they run, I know of 2 great spots..1 in the Oswego river, less than a mile off Lake Ontario, and the other is in Pulaski, NY ( world famous)

  5. #25
    FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,159

    Re: How many of you guys and gals enjoy camping?

    "2beersTommy" wrote:

    I would have to agree Ned, growing up here in NY, and my father being a history buff on the French & Indian wars thru the American Revolution, we visited those sites on our way to vacation In the Vermont mountains. I believe one of the hikes we went on was to Rogers Rock overlooking lake George..Fort Ticonderoga was kinda ruined by the fact that there was a paper mill operation just up the lake..OMG did that smell like $hit lol, I never forget that ! Lake George also has its famous "sea monster" kinda like the Loch Ness over there in Scotland..only our version is called "Champ"..thats if you believe that kind of non sense..Hey Ned, if ya like fishing, come on over to try the Salmon fishing when they run, I know of 2 great spots..1 in the Oswego river, less than a mile off Lake Ontario, and the other is in Pulaski, NY ( world famous)
    Really! So am I! I'm interested in the Native Americans in the VA, NC KY area that were not absorbed by the Nations. I think I'll do my thesis on this, but information is so hard to find!
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

  6. #26
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    9,512

    Re: How many of you guys and gals enjoy camping?

    "2beersTommy" wrote:
    "VikingNed" wrote:
    Check this site out, this is what I'm talking about, I'll be posting some pics this summer after one of my trips to the islands. Some of the islands you can actually reserve just for you and your family......Only one campsite on some of the islands... Others may have only 2, 3 , 4, or more....nothing but island and a dock to park your boat at....


    Lake George is a beautiful Lake, and the water is crystal clear....

    At the southern point, there is camping, resorts, lodges, motels, amusment parks, museaums, mini golf, reg. golf, diving, fishing swimming, horse back riding....you name it, even horse racing nearby, cowboy ang girl themed resorts W/ bull and bronco riding .....

    Great history also, Fort Ticondaroga. Great Hiking, gorges, cliffs ect...
    Truly one of the diamond regions of our great country..


    http://www.lakegeorge-vacations.com/lake_george_island_camping.htm
    I would have to agree Ned, growing up here in NY, and my father being a history buff on the French & Indian wars thru the American Revolution, we visited those sites on our way to vacation In the Vermont mountains. I believe one of the hikes we went on was to Rogers Rock overlooking lake George..Fort Ticonderoga was kinda ruined by the fact that there was a paper mill operation just up the lake..OMG did that smell like $hit lol, I never forget that ! Lake George also has its famous "sea monster" kinda like the Loch Ness over there in Scotland..only our version is called "Champ"..thats if you believe that kind of non sense..Hey Ned, if ya like fishing, come on over to try the Salmon fishing when they run, I know of 2 great spots..1 in the Oswego river, less than a mile off Lake Ontario, and the other is in Pulaski, NY ( world famous)
    Two Beers,

    Don't be suprised if you find my at your door one day with a fishing pole in my hand....I'll be taking you up on the offer. I would like to do a Pulaski or Oswego trip this fall....

    As for the monster, I know the story well, but I thought it was Lake Champlain that Champ lived in? Even though it would be possible for him to travel between the two lakes.

    I'de love to talk to to your Dad, I'm also into History big time, I also metal detect for old Rev. War and Civil War Camp sites.....Legal places that is....

    I'de bet I could get some good info from your Dad.

    We will have to discuss that fishing trip sometime, and make plans, I'de love to spend a couple days fishing with and getting to know you.


    Ned


    I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

  7. #27
    Mr-holland's Avatar
    Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,443

    Re: How many of you guys and gals enjoy camping?

    Once went camping in Belgium
    With high mountains, we left early in the morning, and came back just before dark.
    Had one of the best vacations ever
    Fishing,swimming,hiking,mountainbiking Catching our own food.
    Love it!
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

  8. #28
    2beersTommy's Avatar
    2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,762

    Re: How many of you guys and gals enjoy camping?

    "VikingNed" wrote:
    "2beersTommy" wrote:
    "VikingNed" wrote:
    Check this site out, this is what I'm talking about, I'll be posting some pics this summer after one of my trips to the islands. Some of the islands you can actually reserve just for you and your family......Only one campsite on some of the islands... Others may have only 2, 3 , 4, or more....nothing but island and a dock to park your boat at....


    Lake George is a beautiful Lake, and the water is crystal clear....

    At the southern point, there is camping, resorts, lodges, motels, amusment parks, museaums, mini golf, reg. golf, diving, fishing swimming, horse back riding....you name it, even horse racing nearby, cowboy ang girl themed resorts W/ bull and bronco riding .....

    Great history also, Fort Ticondaroga. Great Hiking, gorges, cliffs ect...
    Truly one of the diamond regions of our great country..


    http://www.lakegeorge-vacations.com/lake_george_island_camping.htm
    I would have to agree Ned, growing up here in NY, and my father being a history buff on the French & Indian wars thru the American Revolution, we visited those sites on our way to vacation In the Vermont mountains. I believe one of the hikes we went on was to Rogers Rock overlooking lake George..Fort Ticonderoga was kinda ruined by the fact that there was a paper mill operation just up the lake..OMG did that smell like $hit lol, I never forget that ! Lake George also has its famous "sea monster" kinda like the Loch Ness over there in Scotland..only our version is called "Champ"..thats if you believe that kind of non sense..Hey Ned, if ya like fishing, come on over to try the Salmon fishing when they run, I know of 2 great spots..1 in the Oswego river, less than a mile off Lake Ontario, and the other is in Pulaski, NY ( world famous)
    Two Beers,

    Don't be suprised if you find my at your door one day with a fishing pole in my hand....I'll be taking you up on the offer. I would like to do a Pulaski or Oswego trip this fall....

    As for the monster, I know the story well, but I thought it was Lake Champlain that Champ lived in? Even though it would be possible for him to travel between the two lakes.

    I'de love to talk to to your Dad, I'm also into History big time, I also metal detect for old Rev. War and Civil War Camp sites.....Legal places that is....

    I'de bet I could get some good info from your Dad.

    We will have to discuss that fishing trip sometime, and make plans, I'de love to spend a couple days fishing with and getting to know you.


    Ned
    Oooops, im getting the 2 confused Ned, sorry. Lemme know when you want to fish up here, not a problem. We mentioned not to long ago the loss of a parent, man, did my dad love talking about our history, people could listen to him for hours, all ages too, anyway..im out of work indefinitely , so let me know..You'll have to take my g/f with ya..lmao..she loves to fish, and I guarantee YOU will have to pull her off the shore..Baseball HOF isnt to far away either.

  9. #29
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    9,512

    Re: How many of you guys and gals enjoy camping?

    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    Once went camping in Belgium
    With high mountains, we left early in the morning, and came back just before dark.
    Had one of the best vacations ever
    Fishing,swimming,hiking,mountainbiking Catching our own food.
    Love it!
    I spent a month in Germany once and got to visit England, Luxemburg, and France...

    Germany for sure had some beautiful country side and mountains..

    I went on a Rhine River Cruise that was awesome.....


    I'll have to try and dig up those pictures...


    I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

  10. #30
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    9,512

    Re: How many of you guys and gals enjoy camping?

    "2beersTommy" wrote:
    [quote]"VikingNed" wrote:
    [quote]"2beersTommy" wrote:
    "VikingNed" wrote:
    Check this site out, this is what I'm talking about, I'll be posting some pics this summer after one of my trips to the islands. Some of the islands you can actually reserve just for you and your family......Only one campsite on some of the islands... Others may have only 2, 3 , 4, or more....nothing but island and a dock to park your boat at....


    Lake George is a beautiful Lake, and the water is crystal clear....

    At the southern point, there is camping, resorts, lodges, motels, amusment parks, museaums, mini golf, reg. golf, diving, fishing swimming, horse back riding....you name it, even horse racing nearby, cowboy ang girl themed resorts W/ bull and bronco riding .....

    Great history also, Fort Ticondaroga. Great Hiking, gorges, cliffs ect...
    Truly one of the diamond regions of our great country..


    http://www.lakegeorge-vacations.com/lake_george_island_camping.htm
    I would have to agree Ned, growing up here in NY, and my father being a history buff on the French & Indian wars thru the American Revolution, we visited those sites on our way to vacation In the Vermont mountains. I believe one of the hikes we went on was to Rogers Rock overlooking lake George..Fort Ticonderoga was kinda ruined by the fact that there was a paper mill operation just up the lake..OMG did that smell like $hit lol, I never forget that ! Lake George also has its famous "sea monster" kinda like the Loch Ness over there in Scotland..only our version is called "Champ"..thats if you believe that kind of non sense..Hey Ned, if ya like fishing, come on over to try the Salmon fishing when they run, I know of 2 great spots..1 in the Oswego river, less than a mile off Lake Ontario, and the other is in Pulaski, NY ( world famous)
    Two Beers,

    Don't be suprised if you find my at your door one day with a fishing pole in my hand....I'll be taking you up on the offer. I would like to do a Pulaski or Oswego trip this fall....

    As for the monster, I know the story well, but I thought it was Lake Champlain that Champ lived in? Even though it would be possible for him to travel between the two lakes.

    I'de love to talk to to your Dad, I'm also into History big time, I also metal detect for old Rev. War and Civil War Camp sites.....Legal places that is....

    I'de bet I could get some good info from your Dad.

    We will have to discuss that fishing trip sometime, and make plans, I'de love to spend a couple days fishing with and getting to know you.


    Go to NYFishTails.com

    I was thinking of staying at the 1880 house....


    I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sorry Guys & Gals
    By Guitarzan-54 in forum Help / Suggestion Box
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-21-2007, 08:27 PM
  2. PP.O guys and gals...I would like your help!
    By AlabamaViking in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-26-2007, 07:32 AM
  3. I miss you guys/gals!
    By bono in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-26-2007, 06:07 PM
  4. GUYS GALS im Sorry!
    By NodakVike in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-23-2005, 10:40 PM
  5. Just for you guys to enjoy some more
    By PhillyGirl in forum Trash the Pack
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 04:50 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •