Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

How big is the universe?

This video is really humbling, and it really made me feel smaller than ever...but having said that, it's really interesting and a nice way to spend a few minutes.
    http://www.pistolwimp.com/media/53235/

This got me and my friend talking about how big the universe really is, and I was wondering what you guys felt about this....

Do you think the universe is endless, or does it have a stopping point?
    If it is indeed endless, how is it possible that it just keeps going?
    If it just stops, what is at the end? Do you guys ever ponder these kind of things?
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: How big is the universe?

I have never pondered the Universe, but it would be tha same as number.
    It's infinity if that makes any sense.
    That's as how long is forever?
    Nobody knows.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

One thing they didn't mention in this particular video was that the Ultra Deep Field was a blank area in space the size of 1/10 of a full moon from our view...., 10,000 galaxies in a tiny blank spot in space.
    Makes you feel mighty small.

Thanks for that Bdub.
    I hadn't seen it before.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

"WVV" wrote:
    Nobody knows.
    Did you peep the video?

-Canibus

ryanmurphy is offline Pro-Bowler

"Bdubya" wrote:
    This video is really humbling, and it really made me feel smaller than ever...but having said that, it's really interesting and a nice way to spend a few minutes.

This got me and my friend talking about how big the universe really is, and I was wondering what you guys felt about this....

If it just stops, what is at the end? Do you guys ever ponder these kind of things?
    My work PC is blocking the site.
    I will have to check out the vid when I get home.

It has been quite a while since I read it, but Stephen Hawkings talks about this in A Brief History of Time.
    To paraphrase what I remember, he says that if there is indeed an end to the universe, with nothing beyond the edge, then there would be no gravitational force beyoud that edge either.
    If there is no gravitational force on the outside, but there is on the inside, then the universe would be collapsing upon itself, not expanding outward as we know that it is.
    On the other hand, he says that if it does go on forever, there would have to be some sort of pattern to keep everything in line.
    So, if the universe goes on for ever, and it has a pattern, then every direct line of sight should end on the surface of a star, which it doesn't.
    No answers here, just more to wrap your mind around.
    I need to read that book again now that I am older...

SW FL Vike is offline Training Camp

"Bdubya" wrote:

I just know it helps to ease the pain of what humans do to this planet. Maybe I can relax and know that Earth is pretty insignificant in the big scheme of the Universe. But I'm still going to vote out the Republicans! :P

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Bdubya" wrote:
    "WVV" wrote:
    Nobody knows.
    Did you peep the video?

yes I did, did I miss something?

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

"ryanmurphy" wrote:
    "Bdubya" wrote:

It has been quite a while since I read it, but Stephen Hawkings talks about this in A Brief History of Time.
    To paraphrase what I remember, he says that if there is indeed an end to the universe, with nothing beyond the edge, then there would be no gravitational force beyoud that edge either.
    If there is no gravitational force on the outside, but there is on the inside, then the universe would be collapsing upon itself, not expanding outward as we know that it is.
    On the other hand, he says that if it does go on forever, there would have to be some sort of pattern to keep everything in line.
    So, if the universe goes on for ever, and it has a pattern, then every direct line of sight should end on the surface of a star, which it doesn't.
    Hawkings is a great read!!

now, here's a couple insights based on my luv of trying to find the end of the universe.

1. The human brain/thought processes does not allow us to comprehend infinity.. We are stuck in a view of time as liniar, instead of say spherical. If you take our concept of time it's based on the rotation of the earth compared to itself and the sun. Say we examine some other galaxy with a 40000x larger earth.. what would time be like there?

2. Distance.. if you have ever drove through all of nebraska u can partially understand the concept of eternity.. but once you pass the 1 tree.. u loose the train of thought. as we can tell so far there is some pattern to the universe, wether it's in a outward spiral, or inward one, wether we are moving away from some big bang, or if we are just some marble on the collar of some cat. these are questions that cannot be answered with the technology and understanding we have today.

when we can produce a way for our bodies to survive space travel over looonnng periods, as well as propulsion systems like a tesla coil that will give us continual non draining energy source we'll be able to start answering several questions.

here's one that i've always tried to think on..

what's on the other side of a black hole..
    more space?
    are we a black hole of some other universe? or several?

and the size of the universe to my understanding.. is slightly smaller then my ego!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

"WVV" wrote:
    "Bdubya" wrote:
    "WVV" wrote:
    Nobody knows.
    Did you peep the video?

yes I did, did I miss something?
    No, I was just making sure.
    The link didn't work for me at first, but there was apparently just something wrong with my computer.
    -Canibus

"ryanmurphy" wrote:
    "Bdubya" wrote:

This is just messing with me more.
    If Stephen Hawking says that it basically doesn't make sense either way, then what hope is there for me?

"digital420" wrote:

what's on the other side of a black hole..
    more space?
    are we a black hole of some other universe? or several?

and the size of the universe to my understanding.. is slightly smaller then my ego!!

DiGiTaL
    I've read somewhere that many people believe that black holes don't have another end.

Which doesn't seem to make sense, but maybe I just can't comprehend something like that.

Apparently, white holes could also be the answer to that.
    White holes eject matter, rather than pulling it in, and may just be on the other end of the black holes.
    -Canibus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast