StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Hopkins vs. Calzaghe

Hopkins vs. Calzaghe for Super Middleweight, Saturday, April 12. I am looking forward to it.

Anyone else ?

Calzaghe has incredible hand speed and throws lots of punches. One way to look at that is it is an advantage. Another way to look at that is, it leaves him open for counterpunches. I am really looking forward to the fight. It was stupid for Hopkins to say "I would never let a white boy beat me !" to Calzaghe. Why bring race into it ? Some of the greatest fighters were and are white (Marciano, Stribling, etc.) and some of them today are not all that bad. I personally want to see Calzaghe beat Hopkins, because I think Calzaghe is cooler and Hopkins kind of showed himself to be a jerk with comments like that.

Calzaghe is also I think 26-0-0 as a pro. Hopkins has lost 4 times. But of course, Calzaghe is from Europe, so Hopkins says he is not that good.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Hopkins vs. Calzaghe

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Hopkins vs. Calzaghe for Super Middleweight, Saturday, April 12. I am looking forward to it.

Anyone else ?

Calzaghe has incredible hand speed and throws lots of punches. One way to look at that is it is an advantage. Another way to look at that is, it leaves him open for counterpunches. I am really looking forward to the fight. It was stupid for Hopkins to say "I would never let a white boy beat me !" to Calzaghe. Why bring race into it ? Some of the greatest fighters were and are white (Marciano, Stribling, etc.) and some of them today are not all that bad. I personally want to see Calzaghe beat Hopkins, because I think Calzaghe is cooler and Hopkins kind of showed himself to be a jerk with comments like that.

Calzaghe is also I think 26-0-0 as a pro. Hopkins has lost 4 times. But of course, Calzaghe is from Europe, so Hopkins says he is not that good.
    Hopkins also said he'll never let a white boy beat him... Damn racists..

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Hopkins vs. Calzaghe

Calzaghe is 36 and I think Hopkins is 41. It is odd...

[BTW, sorry I posted this in the NFL Thread. My bad. Can someone move it over the Clubhouse ?]

Here is the clip of their verbal confrontation, where Hopkins made the "white boy" comment:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtB0gD6O_Ak

BTW, that boxer that Calzaghe is referring to, Kessler, is from Denmark, and his nickname is the VIKING WARRIOR (!!). Guess who is my favorite boxer now ?