Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Odin VAVikefan is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Hope all is well with our North Dakota PPO'ers

Damn, I have a lot of family in Fargo on my mother's side. Experts are predicting that the water will crest at around 43 ft, and the latest weather.com report stated that there is supposed to be a significant weather event (snow/windstorm) on or around Monday. I'm really hoping for the best and wish I could be there to help. A lot of good folks are working really hard and holding out hope. I just hope that everyone there or anyone with family/friends there is also working out a concrete plan on when to decide to evacuate and where to head to. These same experts are saying that they cannot predict just how bad it will get since this is unprecedented, but they're saying the water is going to likely stay at peak levels (43ft) for up to 7 days. Which means that even if sandbag walls are high enough, there's a very strong chance that many of the walls will succumb to the ongoing pressure.

By all means, everyone in the city should try to be optimistic, but for God's sake have a safety plan in place.

NMA -- www.newmodelarmy.org

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Im sticking it out

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

We're hoping for the best but to be perfectly honest it's a pretty shitty situation.
    A place I sandbagged in for 4 hours today got evacuated just a couple hours after I left.
    The river is only at 40 feet and their is already leaks appearing at locations that people are trying to fix.
    Basically most of Friday will be spent getting the extra foot on any dike that can take the workload, and after that it's just wait and prey.

Concordia college has been evacuated and if the dike system fails when it gets to 43 feet there could be water 10-15 blocks+ on both sides of the rivers under water, with there being pockets that are much worse in places.
    I've sand bagged this week but it just doesn't feel like enough, not when so many people might lose their homes.
    I've just been up listening to the mighty 790 about what's going on.

God protect those affected by this flood, and I would ask that everybody at PPO just say a prayer for everybody in the F/M area.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

People in my area are supposed to evacuate.. I am not

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"tdunc" wrote:
    Just got back from a 12 hour day of sandbagging in North Moorhead around the Oakport area.. Here is how my day went...

I arrived at my friends house to help out the family.. We built the dike up to about 42 feet which was a foot about the projected crest. At about 9:00 in the morning there was minimal water in the ditches however by the time I left around 5 water was rising and almost up to the dike we built around the house.
    Around 430 we found out that the crest is going to rise to about 43 feet and that they might lose the house. :-[ It was incredible to watch the water rise throughout the day and also to see that hundreds of people out there helping out. Fargo and Moorhead need it bad. After we left there we headed to a friend of my dads house. We worked on a small dike there. About 7:00 this evening we headed inside about 2 feet short on the dike outside and started clearing out the basement.

Evacuations are taking place all over the area.. Houses are being lost and dikes are breaking.
    This is a lot more serious than i thought it was going into it in the morning so i just ask that everyone keeps the area in your prayers
    Serious effort, hope it holds and minimizes damages.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

VikingLance is offline Starter

Just letting everyone in the Red River Valley know that my thoughts & prayers are with them.
    I know it isn't physically helping them, but it is all I can do.

Even out here in sunny CA we are getting updates on the Fargo area.
    Just heard that the dike is leaking and the crest isn't expected until tomorrow.
    The are evacuating many families.
    Has any heard from NDPaul or our other members in Fargo?

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

UNPRECEDENTED HISTORY: Red River water level tops historic marker

FARGO - In an unprecedented moment in recorded history, the Red River in Fargo this morning eclipsed the mark for its largest crest and continues to rise.

The Red River read 40.32 feet at 5:15 a.m., topping the previous mark of 40.1 feet set in 1897.

The river nudged ahead of the record with an official reading of 40.15 feet at 2:15 a.m.

Floodwaters forced residents to flee to higher ground Thursday in Fargo, Moorhead and the surrounding area, as forecasters warned that the Red River could reach a record 43 feet by Saturday.

The river passed the 1997 flood crest of 39.57 feet just after 7 p.m. Thursday.
    http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/235423/

http://www.inforum.com/

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Some South Fargo residents urged to leave by 2 p.m. today; residents still fighting

As Fargo begins building a contingency dike in the Hackberry area on River Drive South to University Drive, neighbors behind it and around it are coming together and continuing to fight.

Some neighbors along Harwood Drive are meeting every three hours. They will be behind the contingency dike – trapped in between dikes holding off the river and a secondary dike currently being built to protect the city in case the initial levee breaks.

Jon and Shelane Hoverson will be on the wrong side of the dikes – pinched in between the two – but they don’t feel abandoned.

“It comes with living off the river,” Jon Hoverson said.

“It’s a necessary evil,” Shelane Hoverson added.

Shelane Hoverson left before noon today. Her husband and her brothers will stay behind to monitor the dikes and home.

Others along the street that will be in between the two dikes are putting up sandbag ring dikes to protect their homes.

Officials building the contingency dikes are recommending that people behind them leave the area by 2 p.m. The Hesco units stand 4 feet tall and a will be topped with a second layer, making an 8-foot wall that will be covered in plastic.

People may use ladders to get over the walls, but the sooner the better, said Stephanie Victory, president of Hesco Bastian USA.

“You have the possibility that they could fall from eight feet,” Victory said.

The dike being built will prevent vehicle traffic. Police are asking residents in the area to move vehicles and consider relocating.

Residents in the area received Code Red notifications at midnight telling them to move vehicles off the impacted roads.

Joel and Jenny Rheault‘s home is outside the contingency dike but both signed up for the system to stay informed.

It’s never a good feeling when both phones ring as a small sense of panic sets in, they said.

“Especially at midnight,” Jenny Rheault said.

The Rheaults are packed and ready to leave when the call comes. For now they are helping neighbors who may be trapped behind the dikes.
    http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/235444/group/home/

Thanks BLV for all the updates.
    My hopes and prayers are with all those affected by this record setting year.
    All across ND families are keeping an eye on the water ways.
    The Hart in Mandan, The Missouri in Bismarck, the Red in Fargo, The Cheyenne in Valley City.
    I don't know about the Mouse in Minot, but they straightend that out back in the 70's.
    Hasn't been much of a problem since, but this year is unusual to say the least.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast