Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

High School Hockey

Well it is getting to be that time of year where high school hockey is huge. I just got back from watching my first high school hockey game of the season. My alma mater lost but the young guys played pretty well. We use to be hockey power house but this year and last year our guys are having down year but I think next year they will come around and be pretty good possible even being state bound. Anybody else huge high school hockey fans? Leave some comments on it.

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

Re: High School Hockey

HS Hockey is really frustrating the last few years with the best players on would be top teams going to play juniors. My old high school team would have been great last year and the Bantam A team just won state but it will only hurt them in the long run because the major talent will be gone after their sophomore years. Also, the private schools have been recruiting the hell out of the top public talent in metro area, much more than in the past. The stupid thing about most of these kids who go to juniors is that they end up going to play D1 somewhere. If you have the talent, you can play HS hockey and still go D1. So I guess my point is that I still somewhat follow my school but high school hickey as a whole isn't what it was to me, not just because I'm getting older but because the teams that should be great aren't and the entire talent level has taken a hit.

Even after saying all that, I still believe the Minnesota state tourny is still the best high school event anywhere in the country.

[color=red]

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

I'm a huge Minnesota high school hockey fan. I usually go to a few of the State Tourney hockey games a year. It was the best when I was still in school and they would let us out early to go to the games if White Bear was in it, good times! Hopefully they will make it to state this year, and maybe break the curse! But I will also catch a few White Bear regular season games . Especially against Hill Murray our rivals. Although they beat us the other night 1-0. I talk as if I'm still in high school, haha. That was actually a huge game it was televised on FSN, and they were talking about it on the news. I pretty much love any hockey!

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

Yeah I know how that recuriting thing goes I think last year my old school lost its best player to moorhead. But there have been other kids that graduated and go to juniors for a year or two and then go to college.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"finnishvikingsfan" wrote:
    Yeah I know how that recuriting thing goes I think last year my old school lost its best player to moorhead. But there have been other kids that graduated and go to juniors for a year or two and then go to college.
    Ha ha! I went to Moorhead!

Where did you go?

How is Moorhead this year, anyone know?

Not to dismiss what you are saying but losing a player to Moorhead or Duluth East is basically just a player trying to play for the upper echelon programs of their regions. The problem in the metro area is schools like Holy Angels garuntee playing time to freshmen from Bloomington, Edina, Wayzata etc and openly recruit them. As for juniors, it makes sense for a kid who graduated and still has hopes of playing D1 to go to juniors but the problem lately has been the top talents go to juniors or to that developmental deal in Michigan after their sophomore years of high school and then go play D1. My point is that if the real talents are going to play D1 anyway, they won't lose any offers or opportunities by playing for their high schools. It'd be different if they went straight to the pros after juniors but to go play in college after juniors and enroll as an 18 yr old or in some cases a year early makes no sense and has basically taken high school hockey several steps back. I guess my point is that any metro area public school (with the execption of Eden Prarie and Blaine strictly based on the size of the schools) has a severe disadvantage when it comes to winning state. This is horrible since they produce so much of the talent but don't get to reap the benefits. The upstate public schools still have a chance but are still agianst the eight ball when it comes to playing private schools which have basically become metro area all-star teams minus the kids who were good enough to play juniors while in high school.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant. Its friday night and I'm a little loopy.

[color=red]

Ultra, Moorhead is very highly ranked. #4 in the state. Of course Holy Angels and Hill Murray are #1 and 2 giving validity to my last rant.

Now cue all the out of state PPO members to share their thoughts on "moorhead" :thumbright:

[color=red]

stek is offline Rookie

Holy Angels is #1???

Things must have changed around that place. Know the area preety well but haven't been back for a while.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I can't believe Hill Murray is back in the upper ranks. They were down for quite a while! I love hockey, any hockey. I am more of a Gophers fan than high school hockey fan. My high school (Tartan High School) was in the state tourney last year for I think the first time ever. I'm not sure how they are this year, but I think they may be down.

My stepdad actually used to be a HS hockey official and I would get into games free all the time, especially all the big games at Aldrich arena!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "finnishvikingsfan" wrote:
    Ha ha! I went to Moorhead!

Where did you go?

How is Moorhead this year, anyone know?
    I am went to school up in Int'l Falls. We usually dont lose players to recuriting cause we are an hour and an half from any school with hockey in the USA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast