Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    zimtwister is offline Coach

Re: High School Football

yeah and they are young, they can take way more than i can! my neighbors are on the local team and they come home bushed. it does build character.
    "you dream of beating me, its time you wake up and apologize."

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

We started our voluntary conditioning camp yesterday. We do it 3 days a week throughout June.

It was a huge shock for some. The kids range from 8-12 years in age. We don't go to heavy on them, but they now know what football is partially about.

A lot of kids just walked off and got in the car with their parents and left. I think that it sends the wrong message to the players when parents let this happen. We condition these boys for a reason.

Only 1 of my players left. Ultra Jr. did not, because I drove him there and I was helping with the conditioning! Hehee!

Del Rio: what do you think about a 5-3 Defense with a roving LB? On obvious pass plays I would drop another back in deeper coverage?

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    We started our voluntary conditioning camp yesterday. We do it 3 days a week throughout June.

It was a huge shock for some. The kids range from 8-12 years in age. We don't go to heavy on them, but they now know what football is partially about.

A lot of kids just walked off and got in the car with their parents and left. I think that it sends the wrong message to the players when parents let this happen. We condition these boys for a reason.

Only 1 of my players left. Ultra Jr. did not, because I drove him there and I was helping with the conditioning! Hehee!

Del Rio: what do you think about a 5-3 Defense with a roving LB? On obvious pass plays I would drop another back in deeper coverage?
    Monster Back!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

If someone walks out on our conditioning it is over for them. It is a requirement. Then again these are high school kids so a bit different. We will have about 10 kids quit this week.

Probably Hovan Jr. because the head coach wants him to trim his mullet of power. And he was boo hooing over it. I assured him as a defensive tackle looking across at the o-lineman that a mullet doesn not put the fear of god in you, all it does is give you a handle to pull on.

And this kid is o-lineman material right now.

Ultra: I think that would be a good Idea. Especially if you let your son do the roving. The thing is when they rove they have to remember to read their o-lineman regardless of where they are.

We have a few plays where the MLB actually is free to rove, and a lot of times if he is to one side or the other when the ball is snapped he seemed to flow that way, instead of spear heading the play. Thus he got tangled up in a mess of lard.

I would make sure your rover knows who he is reading, a guard usually. If they pull I would read which ever lineman they pull. Really good teams switch who they pull guards and tackles but most only do one.

As long as your guy makes his reads first there is no problem. Especially with the talent you described to me. It is a good idea if you think they can pull it off, it wouldn't hurt to have that extra support roaming especially on any screen passess or sweeps.

I would just make sure they know how to decide which way to run first lol. I don't even know if you guys have your kids read o lineman in little league I don't remember doing it when I played.

You need a smart kid, a fast kid, and one that learns from his mistakes, and let em have the job.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Thanks.

I do not know how much pulling there will be by the other teams, or even ours. I would guess that they will just have the players block straight-up just to teach them how to block. You get 8 year olds pulling and such, they may just get in the way.

I figured a would have the roving LB hurdle the center and land on top of the QB. It could work.

Del Rio Guest

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Thanks.

I do not know how much pulling there will be by the other teams, or even ours. I would guess that they will just have the players block straight-up just to teach them how to block. You get 8 year olds pulling and such, they may just get in the way.

I figured a would have the roving LB hurdle the center and land on top of the QB. It could work.
    Well if all the kids block by running straight forward I think you may just be on to something there LOL.

Seriously if all it is, is kids running in to each other I would rove my main LB. I would also teach your DL some easy moves that will help them get past a bull rush.

One of the most simple things that seems to work everytime is when the ball is snapped take an exagerated step to the weakside. If you know the lineman is coming straight to bull rush. This ALWAYS turns their shoulders. And then you just grab that outside shoulder pad throw em out of the way and make the play.

Sounds like you will just be teaching what every coach has to teach every day for the rest of forever the basics lol.

The most valuable things I teach everyone is to have fun, calm down and realize what is going on. Don't try to swim on a pass block, don't try and rip a run block. If they can relax and have a good time, and an uderstanding of what is happening that makes it so much easier to react.

DO ANY OF YOU THAT FOLLOW YOUR LOCAL HS TEAMS HAVE ANY PROSPECTS. I LIVE IN A SMALL TOWN IN KENTUCKY ABOUT 25000 PEOPLE. WE HAVE A LOCAL FOOTBALL STAR THAT COULD CAUSE A STIR IN THE NCAA. HIS NAME IS WILL FIDLER HE'S A QB, 6'5" 230 LB. A FEW DIV. 1 COLLEGES INTERESTED. HE THREW FOR MORE THAN 50 TD'S. HE BEEN THE STARTER SINCE HE WAS A FRESHMAN. JUST SOMEHTING FOR YA'LL TO WATCH OUT FOR.
    6949da5ce3db19514b6088f4f00ffabd

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

my best friend is a RT, been starting varsity his sophmore year, now a senior. he couldve gone varsity his freshman year, but decided not to. almost every ivy league team wants him, but he doesnt have the grades (since ivy league doesnt have athletic scholarships). the biggest school right now is army (i think). hes a big dude at 6'5 or slightyly bigger, 2**, and can bench somewhere in the 300's. great guy to.

also the mlb for a neighboring highschool got accepted to arkansas state and a TE got accepted to aTm. those are the only real major ones.

Del Rio Guest

A lot of our athletes go to University of Utah, BYU, or Utah State...there is one guy here on our varsity a DE that Purdue was talking too. I'm not sure where it will lead, and I think they want to play him at LB.

DEVIKINGFAN! is offline Pro-Bowler

I live in Delawhere?, Kwamee Harris, 49ers, went to the local HS, Newark HS, they have been a powerhouse in the state for years- his folks own and still operate a Jamaican restaurant in town- nice people. Our state's educational system has been rated very low for years, so they adopted a "choice" system that allows kids to go to schools other then their assigned districts- this opened the doors for HS recruiting/heavy duty scouting the JR Leagues.

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn t thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast