Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re: High School Drug Testing Policy

"josdin00" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    http://www.oxford.k12.ms.us/recognition/district-news/archive/drug-testing.html

Heard this on the news this a.m.
    If you're an athlete or drive to school you will be subject to random drug testing.
    The idea is that if they help one kid it is worth it.
    I know our whole hockey team would have been axed in HS if that were the case back then.
    Hell 3/4's of my HS class would have gotten axed.
    I think it's a great idea.
    If they are old enough to take drugs they should be old enough to take random tests.
    Take some of the dealers off the streets and out of the school area.
    I don't think it is necessarily a bad idea...but is that legal?
    For the purposes of the drug testing policy, students who intend to obtain school driving privileges or participate on high school athletic teams or in extracurricular organizations of a competitive nature will be subject to testing.
    It sounds like the student has to agree to the testing in order to participate in the programs mentioned. That may help the school pass the legality test. They're not testing everyone, only those people who agree to it.
    Probably have fewer students in sports(and band, and knowledge bowl, and chess club), which is not good.
    I really don't like these policies. By this same standard couldn't everyone with a drivers license be subject to random drug testing(driving is a privilegde not a right)? How about college campuses? You choose to go to college shouldn't they have the right to do random testing too?
    It's a little too big brother for me. My urine is private.
    ;D
    A quick google search found this article from the University of Michigan that shows student drug testing does not decrease the levels of drug use in a school.
    http://monitoringthefuture.org/pressreleases/03testingpr.pdf

BadlandsVikings is online now Jersey Retired

I went to a small private high school, and those kids were on more drugs than the kids in the public school

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    I went to a small private high school, and those kids were on more drugs than the kids in the public school
    Only reason being they were able to pull more money from mommy and daddy.
    The poor public school kids had to steal for their drug money.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"ejmat" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    [quote author=BloodyHorns82 link=topic=47161.msg822054#msg822054 date=1219165530]
    [quote author=Prophet link=topic=47161.msg822040#msg822040 date=1219164168]

If you're an athlete or drive to school you will be subject to random drug testing.
    I know our whole hockey team would have been axed in HS if that were the case back then.
    If they are old enough to take drugs they should be old enough to take random tests.
    Not sure but like I stated if the students are old enough to take them they should be old enough to test for them.
    That train of thought makes no sense to me.
    I think the idea of testing my kids is total horseshit.
    [/quote]

You may think it's horseshit but don't you thik it would make the school that your children go to safer?
    Why is it horseshit?
    Why doesn't it make sense to you?
    If you are going to say something at least back it up with why you think that way.
    The only thing you mentioned is you don't want your children tested.
    That's fine.
    I don't argue that.
    But to say it doesn't make sense to you doesn't make sense to me.
    [/quote]

If they don't have anything to hide, they shouldn't mind pissing in a cup or having a hair folical removed.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    [quote author=ejmat link=topic=47161.msg822061#msg822061 date=1219166061]
    [quote author=BloodyHorns82 link=topic=47161.msg822054#msg822054 date=1219165530]

Not sure but like I stated if the students are old enough to take them they should be old enough to test for them.
    I think the idea of testing my kids is total poopy.
    [/quote]

You may think it's poopy but don't you thik it would make the school that your children go to safer?
    Why is it poopy?
    If you are going to say something at least back it up with why you think that way.
    That's fine.
    I don't argue that.
    [/quote]

If they don't have anything to hide, they shouldn't mind pissing in a cup or having a hair folical removed.

[/quote]

Yeah, just like if you don't have anything to hide the police should be able to search your house anytime they want.

"Schutz" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    [quote author=BloodyHorns82 link=topic=47161.msg822064#msg822064 date=1219166367]

[/quote]

You may think it's poopy but don't you thik it would make the school that your children go to safer?
    Why is it poopy?
    That's fine.
    I don't argue that.
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, just like if you don't have anything to hide the police should be able to search your house anytime they want.
    [/quote]

They need a warrant or your permission to do so first. Typically they don't search a persons home unless they suspect something.

Most of these kids won't ever be searched in the first place. Only those that they have reason or suspicion to believe do drugs will.

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

"singersp" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:

[/quote]

Why is it poopy?
    That's fine.
    I don't argue that.
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    So it's fair to punish a student who occasionally smokes reefer yet still is a good upstanding student with good grades. Additionally, it doesn't make anyone truly safer, if kids are going to drugs, a possible random test (which more than likely will not be them) will not stop them.

"vikes2456" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    [quote author=BloodyHorns82 link=topic=47161.msg822064#msg822064 date=1219166367]

[/quote]

Why is it poopy?
    That's fine.
    I don't argue that.
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    So it's fair to punish a student who occasionally smokes reefer yet still is a good upstanding student with good grades. Additionally, it doesn't make anyone truly safer, if kids are going to drugs, a possible random test (which more than likely will not be them) will not stop them.
    [/quote]

Absolutely. In case you haven't heard, marijuana is illegal. Especially by a minor.

They punish kids who smoke cigarettes & kids who drink alcohol as well, regardless of grades.

If you get arrested for possesion, feel free to tell the judge that at least you get good grades.

See how far that gets you.

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    [quote author=ejmat link=topic=47161.msg822065#msg822065 date=1219166819]

[/quote]

Why is it poopy?
    That's fine.
    I don't argue that.
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They need a warrant or your permission to do so first. Typically they don't search a persons home unless they suspect something.

Most of these kids won't ever be searched in the first place. Only those that they have reason or suspicion to believe do drugs will.
    [/quote]

But you don't have anything to hide so why would you feel the need for them to have a warrant, you should be more than happy to let them search your house.
    I'm not against drug testing if they sign a form, but the idea that they have nothing to hide is an unsound argument for testing.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"singersp" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:

I think the idea of testing my kids is total horseshit.
    [/quote]

You may think it's horseshit but don't you thik it would make the school that your children go to safer?
    Why is it horseshit?
    That's fine.
    I don't argue that.
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    Why not have a nation wide random drug testing for everyone? If anything it deters people from using recreational drugs like marijuana that stay in your system for a long time, and encourages people to use more dangerous drugs like coke, acid(not detectable at all I believe),mushrooms, meth, heroin, alcohol that do not stay in your system as long.
    Also, and this is a long shot, it is possible that someone could have legally smoked marijuana in another country or for a medical condition. Or someone in their house uses drugs and the residue gets in there system, most kids will not incriminate a family member. Plus aren't we protected from self incrimination.
    Also I have not seen any proof that random drug testing reduces drug use, actually the one study I pulled up on the issue said it didn't.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast