Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey Hawaiian

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Hey Hawaiian

Just curious as to what you think of the lakers trade today. They traded gary payton, rick fox, and next years first(provided it isn't a lottery pick) to the celtics for chris mihm, chucky atkins, marcus banks, and a 2nd next year.

Personally I like the move. We got rid of a couple more old guys and brought in some young guys. I haven't looked at the stats of these players yet, but I really liked banks out of UNLV last year. He is a scoring PG and I think he could get 12-15 points per game, depending on his ammount of PT. Chris Mihm is a good looking big guy, to spell vlade. He probably won't start, but he is huge and athletic. He can score when out there, so I like that move. We knew we needed to get another center in here behind vlade and now we have that. I have never been a huge fan of chucky atkins, but he is a guard and we were thin at guard.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, FINALLY THE LAKERS HAVE GOTTEN RID OF PRETTY BOY FOX!!! I have hated that guy for so damn long and wish they would have done it years ago.

One thing is forsure, this teams is pretty much the exact opposite of last years lakers team. We are young, athletic, and will push the ball, compared to our old, half court team of the last few years.

I am still wondering what their plan is at PG? Will the youngster banks start, or chucky, or maybe the rookie sasha? Wouldn't mind seeing Kobe and kareem rush start at the 1 and 2 spots.

Re: Hey Hawaiian

Also, all 3 players we got are great defenders, which is something we lacked last year. Mihm is a great shot blocker, atkins is a good defender, and banks is said to be a great defender.

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Hey Hawaiian

I dont know, hard for me to say since i dont know much about mihm, atkins and marcus. From what i heard its a bad deal for us since i heard marcus and atkins arent that great. Mihm is average from what i heard and would be a good backup to vlade.

I really do hate to see gary go, he commited to stay in l.a and what does kupchak decide to do, trade him. I would have liked to see gary play one more year in l.a alongside with kobe but it didnt work out. He seemed loyal to l.a after losing in the finals.

FOx i could care less about, didnt do crap for us last year and is in the downside of his career.

However this upcoming season should look good as we have a ton of new players with youth and experience instead of aging veterans with 2 years left in there career.

Did you hear about the kidd rumors of being traded to l.a??? I wouldnt mind it but we would prolly have to give up someone like kareem rush, george and some draft picks, maybe more then that.

Cant wait to play denver in the opening game.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

Hey Hawaiian

"hawaiianvike21" wrote:
    I dont know, hard for me to say since i dont know much about mihm, atkins and marcus. From what i heard its a bad deal for us since i heard marcus and atkins arent that great. Mihm is average from what i heard and would be a good backup to vlade.

I really do hate to see gary go, he commited to stay in l.a and what does kupchak decide to do, trade him. I would have liked to see gary play one more year in l.a alongside with kobe but it didnt work out. He seemed loyal to l.a after losing in the finals.

FOx i could care less about, didnt do crap for us last year and is in the downside of his career.

However this upcoming season should look good as we have a ton of new players with youth and experience instead of aging veterans with 2 years left in there career.

Did you hear about the kidd rumors of being traded to l.a??? I wouldnt mind it but we would prolly have to give up someone like kareem rush, george and some draft picks, maybe more then that.

I agree that atkins is average, but this marcus banks kid could very well be our future at PG. He was a rookie last year and didn't play a ton of minutes, but he has a ton of talent. He is a good shooter and is a really good defender. A lot of analyists were wondering why danny ainge made this trade, since he was so high on marcus banks and saying he was the future PG of the celtics. He probably won't be our starter this year, but will be a good guy off the bench foir instant shooting and D.

I like Mihm also. He is huge and can move well. He is a great shot blocker, and we definitely needed that. He was playing very well in cleveland last year, before he was traded to the celtics, where his PT was cut down. He will be a good big guy to come off the bench.

Yes, we lost a starter at PG, in payton. Oh yeah, and Gary Payton decided to come back to LA this year for money. He wouldn't have made anywhere near the $5.3 million he was gonna make in LA, if he would have tested FA, so he came back. No way he came back because he was comitted to us.

As far as kidd goes, as soon as I heard he wanted to be traded, I thought mitch would be doing whatever he could to get him, with our PG situation. Not after this move though. It sounds like only dallas can take on Kidd's huge contract. We wouldn't be able to get him for rush and george, we would have to give up someone with a big contract. It would be awesome to have kidd here with kobe and odom, but isn't really possible.

Hey Hawaiian

"muchluv4moss" wrote:
    "hawaiianvike21" wrote:

I agree that atkins is average, but this marcus banks kid could very well be our future at PG. He was a rookie last year and didn't play a ton of minutes, but he has a ton of talent. He is a good shooter and is a really good defender. A lot of analyists were wondering why danny ainge made this trade, since he was so high on marcus banks and saying he was the future PG of the celtics. He probably won't be our starter this year, but will be a good guy off the bench foir instant shooting and D.

I like Mihm also. He is huge and can move well. He is a great shot blocker, and we definitely needed that. He was playing very well in cleveland last year, before he was traded to the celtics, where his PT was cut down. He will be a good big guy to come off the bench.

Yes, we lost a starter at PG, in payton. Oh yeah, and Gary Payton decided to come back to LA this year for money. He wouldn't have made anywhere near the $5.3 million he was gonna make in LA, if he would have tested FA, so he came back. No way he came back because he was comitted to us.

As far as kidd goes, as soon as I heard he wanted to be traded, I thought mitch would be doing whatever he could to get him, with our PG situation. Not after this move though. It sounds like only dallas can take on Kidd's huge contract. We wouldn't be able to get him for rush and george, we would have to give up someone with a big contract. It would be awesome to have kidd here with kobe and odom, but isn't really possible.

Well just have to see what these three can do for us. Out of them im hoping Chris Mihm will do the most since we need big men up front after losing shaq and possibly malone throught the offseason.

Im not entirely satisfied with atkins as the other guard though. It makes our backcourt look a lot weaker without payton there.

Lakers have been doing a lot of trades this summer huh? shaq for odom, butler and grant, now payton and fox for mihm, atkins and marcus.

I think in a way we upgraded nicely despite losing dominating talent in the paint.

Hey Hawaiian

Well just have to see what these three can do for us. Out of them im hoping Chris Mihm will do the most since we need big men up front after losing shaq and possibly malone throught the offseason.

Im not entirely satisfied with atkins as the other guard though. It makes our backcourt look a lot weaker without payton there.

Lakers have been doing a lot of trades this summer huh? shaq for odom, butler and grant, now payton and fox for mihm, atkins and marcus.

I think in a way we upgraded nicely despite losing dominating talent in the paint.[/quote]

Here is my take on why we did what we did this offseason. Look at this years finals, the lakers clearly had a huge edge in talent, over the pistons, yet they lost. We had Shaq, yet lost to a younger, more athletic team. I think this showed us that maybe we need to turn into this kind of team. The spurs were kind of like this, 2 years ago. They didn't have a ton of talent, but won because they had younger athletic role players around their star player.

Now we had to look at our 2 star plaerys and choose one. I think the choice was easy. Shaq is old and missing more and more games every year, due to the pounding his body takes from his own body weight and from hard fouls. Kobe on the other hand, is 26 and in the prime of his career. I look at the3 years the lakers won the title and compare those years to the last 2 years. In the 3 title years, if shaq would have a dominating game, the lakers would win no matter what Kobe did. In those same years, if Kobe had a big game, but shaq didn't, the lakers would loose most of those games. Now look at the last few years, it has kind of reversed. When Kobe has a big game, the lakers would usually win, no matter what shaq did. When shaq would have a huge game, and kobe wouldn't, the lakers were loosing. The finals against the pistons is a great example of this. Shaq was great in the finals and kobe struggled, and the lakers were killed. This is why I think we needed to go with kobe and not shaq, and that it was a pretty easy decision to make.

We got rid of shaq, and needed to get some young athletic role players in return. We got odom and butler, 2 guys that fit that mold. We also got rid of a couple of other old players, in payton and fox, and got a couple more younger athletic guys, in mihm and marcus banks. This team nowhas a super star(Kobe), with a bunch of younger athletic role players. We still ahve some veteran leadership, with vlade and brian grant. All these trades enables us to play our younger guys and let them be scores. I like kareem rush and think if he can get starter minutes, he could be a 15-20 point scorer. Odom also can be that kind of scorer, as can butler.

So yes, this team is totally different than the last few years, and yes we don't have shaq, but I don't see that as cetain doom for the lakers. We did have shaq last year, and still lost to a team that was younger and more athletic. I won't say we are gonna be one of the better teams in the NBA next season, but i wouldn't rule it out completely. I think Kobe is gonna try and prove a lot of people wrong next season, and have a monster year. If he succeds in making the players around him better, like Jordan did, he will be able to lead his lakers team to some NBA titles in the near future.

Hey Hawaiian

"muchluv4moss" wrote:

I think in a way we upgraded nicely despite losing dominating talent in the paint.

Again i dont think we need shaq to win the finals. THe pistons showed us why as they got through with ben wallace. DIvac and Mihm should fit the bill as they are tall like shaq.

Last thing, if you compare this team to last years team we are slightly a better team in a way with the amount of athleticism and youth we have instead of old veterans starting and coming off the bench for us.

Our bench will be a whole lot better as i dont see our bench producing four points a game. THat happened against the spurs i believe. Lakers have great depth now. If only kobe can get rid of this stupid case then we should be set to make the playoffs and advance deep. I dont think well win the title this year however with the lack of experiece and playing together for awhile.

Hey Hawaiian

"hawaiianvike21" wrote:
    "muchluv4moss" wrote:

Again i dont think we need shaq to win the finals. THe pistons showed us why as they got through with ben wallace. DIvac and Mihm should fit the bill as they are tall like shaq.

Last thing, if you compare this team to last years team we are slightly a better team in a way with the amount of athleticism and youth we have instead of old veterans starting and coming off the bench for us.

Our bench will be a whole lot better as i dont see our bench producing four points a game. THat happened against the spurs i believe. Lakers have great depth now. If only kobe can get rid of this stupid case then we should be set to make the playoffs and advance deep. I dont think well win the title this year however with the lack of experiece and playing together for awhile.

I don't see the lakers winning the title next year either, but there will be a small part of me that wouldn't be suprised if kobe lead his team to the title, just to show all these doubters that they are wrong. I see playoffs for sure, for this team. It should be a much more exciting team to watch as well. I hated the half court style we ran all the time. Are you hoping malone comes back to LA or leaves? Personally I would rather not have him back. He will take playing time and stunt the developement of guys like cook and walton. If we probably aren't gonna win the title next year, why not let the young guys play and get some experience.

Hey Hawaiian

"muchluv4moss" wrote:
    "hawaiianvike21" wrote:
    "muchluv4moss" wrote:

I don't see the lakers winning the title next year either, but there will be a small part of me that wouldn't be suprised if kobe lead his team to the title, just to show all these doubters that they are wrong. I see playoffs for sure, for this team. It should be a much more exciting team to watch as well. I hated the half court style we ran all the time. Are you hoping malone comes back to LA or leaves? Personally I would rather not have him back. He will take playing time and stunt the developement of guys like cook and walton. If we probably aren't gonna win the title next year, why not let the young guys play and get some experience.
    I agree we should throw in guys like walton and cook to get some valuable playing time insted of letting them sit on the bench and rot. :? But the starters should at the same time get most of the playing time as the new pacific divison should be just as hard to win as it was last year whe it came down to the wire.

As for malone, i either hope he reitires or even joins the spurs like rumored and possibly get his ring with them. I feel really bad for him, class guy whose been playing for 17-18 years in the league and he hasnt gotten a ring yet when a guy like devean george has three of them. :lol:

well make the playoffs for sure, too good of a team not too. I cant wait to see the new duo in L.A work together and not have to fight all the time about whose doing what or whose getting the ball. Lamar and Kobe baby!

Hey Hawaiian

I agree we should throw in guys like walton and cook to get some valuable playing time insted of letting them sit on the bench and rot. :? But the starters should at the same time get most of the playing time as the new pacific divison should be just as hard to win as it was last year whe it came down to the wire.

As for malone, i either hope he reitires or even joins the spurs like rumored and possibly get his ring with them. I feel really bad for him, class guy whose been playing for 17-18 years in the league and he hasnt gotten a ring yet when a guy like devean george has three of them. :lol:

well make the playoffs for sure, too good of a team not too. I cant wait to see the new duo in L.A work together and not have to fight all the time about whose doing what or whose getting the ball. Lamar and Kobe baby![/quote]

I say watch out for kareem rush. If rudy T plays him a lot of minutes, he will be a good scorer. Kobe, butler, odom, and rush are 4 really good young scorers. Still wanna see what sasha can do.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast