Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Help with Black lab puppies.

My Lab is having puppies as I type, so far three.
    Yeti, the mom, is a bit confused.
    She is now allowing them to nurse.
    I'm guessing there are more on the way.
    What do I need to do?
    Any suggestions?

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Help with Black lab puppies.

My girly works at a vet office, I'll ask her.
    -Sno

Prophet Guest

"SnoBumMN" wrote:
    My girly works at a vet office, I'll ask her.
    Thanks sno, I have a call in to a friend.
    Just not sure what the range of time is that we can be expecting more.
    I've heard they can give birth to new puppies for hours after the first ones are born.
    Poor Yeti, she just made the jump into adulthood and has no clue what is going on.
    Kind of reminds me of when we had our first child.

Del Rio Guest

The real question is does she know who the daddy is?

Damn slut puppy.

Prophet Guest

#4 just came.

We bred her with a golden retriever, but she is a bitch.
    She was going at it with a mutt that kind of looked like a dog that sneaked onto the premises.
    So far there are no Kujo type pups.
    They all look like little black labs.
    If I can find the digital camera I'll post a pic.

Del Rio Guest

During labor, avoid upsetting the dog. Remain calm when she is restless, nervous, anorectic (not eating), vomiting, pacing, shivering or panting. These can be normal behaviors for dogs in labor.

If the mother has not removed the amniotic membrane from her pup within 1 minute after delivery, intervene. Gently grasp the puppy in a clean towel and pull away the slimy material. Make sure that the nose and mouth are free from fluid and tissue.

Don't panic if the mother delivers a puppy without expelling the placenta. Sometimes the placenta of the previous birth will be expelled with the following birth.

Cut the umbilical cord about 2 inches from the puppy's body, using sharp, sterilized scissors. (Use isopropyl alcohol to sterilize scissors.)

Consult a veterinarian if your dog is in active labor for more than 30 minutes but has not yet delivered a puppy. If you notice that a puppy seems to be stuck, gently grasp it and pull it from the birth canal, twisting slightly if necessary.

Make sure all puppies are safe and warm and are not getting stepped on as the mother is delivering the other puppies. Multiple births followed by resting is common, but a delay of more than 1 hour between births warrants a call to the veterinarian.

Make sure each puppy nurses soon after delivery. It's essential that puppies nurse within the first 24 hours to acquire vital antibodies supplied by their mother's milk.

Be prepared to give the puppies commercially prepared milk replacer in case the mother doesn't have enough milk or some other emergency arises. This is available wherever pet supplies are sold.

Take the mother and her puppies'in the whelping box, with a blanket for warmth'to the veterinarian for an exam. Do this within 24 hours after the last puppy is born.

Tips:
    Labor lasts 6 to 12 hours. Stage one of labor begins with uterine contractions and ends with the full dilation of the cervix. This is not externally visible. Stage two of labor begins with full dilation of the cervix and ends with full delivery of the first puppy. Stage three begins after delivery of the first puppy and ends with the expulsion of the placenta. The length of the second and third stages is variable'anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes.

If you suspect a puppy is not breathing, rub it with a towel along the shoulders and back to stimulate breathing. A healthy cry or whimper indicates an unobstructed airway.

Prophet Guest

Thanks Del!

This is stressing me out.
    No problems so far, it reminds me of those old Saturday night lives, "Placenta Helper" anyone?
    No thanks, I'll just eat it straight up.

Del Rio Guest

I guess I should note that the info came from the web and could result in the death of all your puppies. But the lady who wrote it looked like she was wierd enough to actually have a website dedicated to birthing puppies, so I think you are safe.

Prophet Guest

;D, if the puppies die my kids will kill me while I'm sleeping tonight.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

All I can say is....PUPPY POWER!!!!!

[img width=400 height=503]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/cajunvike/Miscellaneous/s14.gif[/img]
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast